1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which city sites deserve better representation in RFC?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Cosmos1985, Apr 10, 2010.

1. NerfCothons

NerfCothons Warlord

Only if you're ready to raze some cities :lol:
    Damascus and Shush are the optimal way to cover Mesopotamia in my opinion.
    A culturally strong Damascus does an excellent job of containing Turkey.

2. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

Another city that I was hoping could get more represented is Calcutta. In my changes the tile changes from jungle to forest at the required date, however due to Calcutta's proximity to Patliputra it is very rarely a good spot to settle.

3. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

Taibei!!

4. emeralddude

emeralddude Utopia?

You mean Taipei? I think it should be an independent city so that Japan has a chance to control it. And maybe the mountain south of it should be a hill.

5. dagriggstar

dagriggstar Prince

Chan Chan and Quito so the Inca have to conquer their empire, not build it with settlers.

Kashgar and Turfan, so when the Mongols spawn they have more cities and more likely to go to central asia.

Celtic German cities, so the Germans are strong enough to keep France and the Dutch pre-occupyied with them, so that Spain has more chance or getting conquerers.

Marrakech and Fez, so Portugal/Spain don't prioritise North Africa

I think that's all...

6. nody

nody Emperor

Kiev should be an independent city that flips to Russia. AI Russia never founds it.

Also Wien should be an independent city (on the hill above the pigs), AI 600 AD Germany never founds it. Most of the time they found Graz (on the pigs). Or at least program Germany that they rather found Wien than Graz. Same for Hamburg. I'm sick of the German Kopenhagens and Aarhusses.

Maybe make Kopenhagen independent city that flips to Vikings.

I agree with Edinburgh instead of Inverness.

Also would be cool (in more than 1 sense) if you can found Nuuk in Greenland, turn 1 ice tile into tundra.

Also would like to see Madagascar totally colonized by AI France sometime.

7. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Cuba and the caribbean in general.

8. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

The only viable city spot in mainland Morocco is unfortunately Casablanca (though because of the city's proximity to Rabat, an Arabian settler will call the tile Al-Rabat).

In my mod the Vikings already control Reykjavik and Kopenhagen.

Unfortunately I can't edit the settler maps (nor the AI tendencies), I can only make certain city spots more or less interesting than they currently are. I'd rather the AI settles Budapest than either Graz or Wien, considering how Wien is a terrible spot to settle when Germany already has Berlin and Frankfurt just next door.

I much prefer the idea of a city called Quitu (in Inca rule) and Quito (in Spanish/modern) however Quito wasn't much of a settlement in pre-Columbian era: Tucume and Chan-Chan were. Maybe a dynamic rename is in order...

I'd like to see AI Spain conquer South-America and Mexico rather than vassalize, and the only way to make sure they do that is to have them get the conquerors which they don't do often enough :(

AI France usually colonises Madagascar, but only the southern region of the island. I'll look into that.

I find Taipei is often settled by China in my games.

9. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

Sao Paulo, one the Curitiba tiles should be changed, at least.

10. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

I agree. Then we need to get the Portuguese to settle the place. I'll see what can be done - Sao Paolo should become the biggest population center in South America. This will probably be case of making extra fish or some other resource appear at a given date. Any ideas?

11. fdgsgds

fdgsgds Mustard Enthusiast

I can found Albany, the British call it "Fort Albany," of course. I live near it but I wouldn't found it because a better spot is, I think, found better close up north and especially west.

I hate to see Sri Lanka and Taiwan and Hawai'i as being unable to be settled (I will invent a new word for civ: unsettleable). Hawai'i is inhabited and is an important location for the U.S., both tactical and for vacations (never been there, unfortunately :sad:).

Also, although this isn't really an answer to the thread, I sort of don't like to see south of Germany inhabited by the Germans. Austria should be there... but that might cause crowdedness and harder for Germany to expand. I also have the same problem with Poland, although they weren't extremely important in world affairs.

Edit: The French always found Brest even though it's a terrible spot for a city. Or, they will found Rennes, also a terrible city.'

Also to killerkebab, yes... although Hawai'i is settleable, it is still (economically) useless and has one land tile.

12. corovanrobber

corovanrobber King

Alma-Ata. Seriously, desert?
    In reality there are grasslands and trees everywhere around there. It's a very green city.

13. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

Fort Albany is something I was thinking of looking at. Toronto directly south or Fort Rupert directly east are both better spots, but the AI likes to settle Fort Albany on the Uranium deposit. Either way, I need to remember to set a renaming for "Fort Albany" to "Albany" once its owner reaches the modern era (or industrial).

You can settle Hawaii. It is a one-tile island (Plains/Hills) with fish near it, and a mountain island nearby. Settling as America will name the tile "Pearl Harbor", though I'd prefer "Honolulu" as I see cities as civilian entities rather than military ones in the game. ;)

14. emeralddude

emeralddude Utopia?

Oddly, the 1 Hawaiian tile is orange on every civ's stability map.

15. Science Rules

Science Rules Prince

Are you confusing Albany, the capital of New York and Fort Albany, the settlement on James Bay?

I second the request for a more habitable area around Almaty and all of Central Asia in general. I'd really like to make that piece of land more desirable. Maybe recreate the Great Game between British India and Russia. It'd also allow for the recreation of the silk road by Persia.

16. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

I don't know the region well, but I was sure that there existed a Fort Albany, Ontario - and a Albany, Ontario - and I assumed that the former became the latter?

17. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

But I was talking about Albany, USA.

18. Science Rules

Science Rules Prince

There are many Albanys in the world. None are of any significance in comparison with nearby settlements other than Albany, New York (It's the Albany with the highest population) and Fort Albany, Ontario which is in a remote part of the world and is one of the older settlements by the Hudson Bay Company.

Looking at the CityNameManager.py file it appears both Albany, NY and Fort Albany are on the British map. Albany, NY is 1E or 1N of the western tile for New York City. The map for America replaces Albany with Cleavland or Buffalo respectively, which makes sense considering that those cities have grown much more since the eighteenth century than Albany, New York.

The AI rarely settles Albany, New York which is good considering that it'd be much better to build a city right on the coast such as Boston, New York City or Philadelphia.

The AI often settles Fort Albany, Ontario on the Uranium presumably because it's directly accessible from the ocean via Hudson Bay & James Bay. I'd rather see the map changed so that a city further south such as Toronto (largest city in Canada) or Ottawa (capital of Canada) would be founded instead.

19. fdgsgds

fdgsgds Mustard Enthusiast

Well, the U.S. is extremely squished on Earth maps and I am only taking this from memory, that there was a British city called Fort Albany which seemed like a few (1-3) tiles north of New York City. Also, why would they not include Albany? It would be one tile north of New York City. Albany is a very important city (it's even the capital of New York State) and has almost 100,000 people living there.

20. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

Okay, Buffalo I can live with (It's a pretty good city), but Cleavland? Where is the XML so I can change it to Albany?