1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which city sites deserve better representation in RFC?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Cosmos1985, Apr 10, 2010.

1. corovanrobber

corovanrobber King

Most of Brazil.

e.g.
    São Paulo - not only it can't be founded anywhere but on the coal, it's just useless built anywhere around there. All this while São Paulo is the largest city in Brazil, and the largest and richest city in all southern hemisphere!
    Brasília - now I have no idea. Build it on a resource (the gold) so that it reaches the coast iron? Built it one tile west so that it reaches the jungle iron, but that the coast iron isn't reached by any city? Bloody useless in both locations.
    Salvador da Bahia - how is it supposed to be built at all?

2. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

Moving coal/adding some resources and 600 for Portugal in Rio de Janeiro/Sao Paulo works just nice.
    Spoiler :

Also, if someone is interested - that's what happens with Morocco area if you tweak Atlas mountains a bit. Not so underrepresented now ;)
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

3. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

Timeshifter: What side were you playing as, and do you know when Portugal settled the area? What changes did you make to the region?

I like the changes to Morocco too, I'll be adding those ;)

4. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

America test start. It's obvious that Portugal settled Sao Paulo & Rio de Janeiro as its first (or almost first) colonial cities because of 600 (Sao Paulo was 300 and Rio de Janeiro 500 before) in settler maps.
    Added fish to Sao Paulo & moved crabs & moved coal & pigs spawn in 1700.
    I think I'll release my own map tweak, since there are many changes already - Caribbean, Baltic, Western US, European Russia and Siberia areas and also Mumbai. For example, there's only 1 mountain in Caribbean now (Cuba one), Cuba is 4-tile, Hispaniola is 2-tile etc.

5. micbic

micbic Optimistic Pessimist

Well guys, instead of producing 10 different modmods, why not just make a collaborative effort to improve it? :)

6. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 King

This was at least the idea behind this thread :lol: But well I guess it's hard for all of us to agree on everything. And we also have to take care not to improve too many spots too much, so the relative advantage of, say, London and Istanbul, isn't weakened too much.

I'll write a more detailed reply when I have the time. But I just wanted to say that I totally agree with this. Let's try to make an effort together.

7. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

Let's at least make a basic version of a changed map where you can make some small tweaks for your taste. Here's all changes I can remember in my version:
    Spoiler :

- Inverness is deleted from 600 AD start, Edinburgh is there instead (and it appears instead of Inverness in 3000 BC start)
    - Barcelona is added to 600 AD start just to help Spain with city founding and avoid "no coastal cities at all" situation
    - Resource amount & placement in Western US changed so that Los Angeles/San Francisco/Vancouver are the best choices now
    - Atlas mountains changed and Casablanca should appear more often now
    - Deleted jungle from 1 tile in Brunei
    - Changed jungle placement in Phillipines
    - Cuba is 4 tile island
    - Hispaniola is 2-tile island
    - Lesser Antilles city name map tweaked a bit, removed mountain from middle one
    - Sugar appears in Hispaniola instead of Jamaica, added Aluminium to Jamaica (it's obvious that it should be there)
    - Hawaii are now settlable and have some food resources.
    - Cyprus is copper hill
    - Fixed numerous errors in Russian city name map
    - Mumbai has more food resources
    - Added 2 land tiles in Sweden and now it looks right. Moved some resources to make some cities viable.
    - Added 1-tile island NE of British Isles to represent Orkney & Shetland
    - Changed rivers in European Russia & Baltic areas to resemble reality
    - Finland is no more total tundra => Sankt-Peterburg has some use now
    - Changed resource placement near Sao Paulo and Portugal now settles it
    - Moved coal and copper on the east coast of US to make SoL goal a bit easier
    - Second Juneau tile is now tundra. Also gold moved to make it available from both Anchorage and Juneau.
    - Added Oil to Taymyr (mostly decorative, I think human player wouldn't settle there)
    - Added Oil near Sakhalin
    - Added some resources to Kamchatka to make it at least a bit useful
    - Added Uranium to Khazakhstan
    - Siberian Southern Far East is no more total tundra.
    - Copper in Finland replaced with Iron
    - Desert in Caucasus replaced with grass
    - 1 aluminium in France replaced with Iron (no French Knights? What?)
    - 1 pigs in France replaced with Wine (I'm not sure why I did this. Swine to Wine, lol)
    - Fixed "no Quito city name" bug and added it in Spanish settler maps
    - A bit (I don't think you'll even notice) changed Nile
    - Added Oil to Angola
    - Indus valley is now flood plains
    - Moved desert tiles a bit in India
    - Tibet desert changed to tundra

8. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

what resources? I typically make it so there are flood plains coast in California with seafood to try to represent the food quantities

9. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

I've added 2 fish, 1 iron for LA and moved silver & gold.

-added, forgot about that-
    Also moved deer from San Francisco tile.

10. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

sounds nice

11. Wichtel

Wichtel Chieftain

I would like to to change some parts of the map and make a mod out of it, but I don't know how to change the map without breaking the mod. Just opening it in the world builder and saving it does not work properly. If someone can tell me how to do it it would appreciate it. :)

12. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

You can open the worldbuilder files with a text editor like notepad by rightclicking them in the Public Maps folder. It's not as comfortable as the worldbuilder itself, but you should easily be able to figure out how it works.

13. Wichtel

Wichtel Chieftain

Thanks a lot, I'll try that and bug you if i run into problems ;)

14. Leoreth

Feel free to do so ... we've all been there :D

15. Wichtel

Wichtel Chieftain

I made a screenshot of the egypt and arabian region and put in the plot coordinates. Because it is realy hard to talk about the map without them. I put in the approximate locations of the ancient egyptian cities. Those should be the best plots to settle in but they are not.

You go straight for Alexandria (66(67)/44) because there is the ocean, wheat, and no flood plains sickness. Or You go for (64/69), because you get the wheat there.

My idea would be to move the marble down the nil (they used ships to get this stuff to the temples/pyramids) (66/48) so Thebes would get it after 1 expansion, the wheat to where the marble was (69/45) (where Kairo is now(it would block Alexandria)) or just one south (68/45) (where Memphis was). We could move the horses to the Sinai (71/45) (if we go with kairo) or (70/40) (if we go with Memphis).

Opinions? Problems? Ideas for the Holy Land or Arabia?

Attached Files:

16. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

How about Dakar, one of the most important French colony cities in Africa (if not the most important)? It deserves some seafood and a non-desert tile at the very least. It would be nice to see the French taking some interest in West Africa; in my games, they never settle anywhere in Africa besides Alger.

17. Brew

Brew Warlord

@ Timeshifter:

I would LOVE a copy of your tweaked map - it sounds awesome!! Could you upload it please? I have no idea how to mod, otherwise I could make one myself....

18. nody

nody Emperor

Playing the beta version the French had colonized all of north-west Africa with Tunis, Alger, Oran (Mellila site), Casablanca and Arguin.

19. nody

nody Emperor

ON TOPIC:

The Khmer should have Madagascar in their settler/cityname maps to represent Austronesian colonization.

20. Leoreth

The Khmer are not Austronesian.