1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Civ game was better, Civ IV or Civ III?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by dutchking, Jul 4, 2007.

?

Which Do You Think Was Better?

1. Civ III

41 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Civ IV

201 vote(s)
    83.1%
  1. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

In your opinion, which Civ game was better, Civ IV or Civ III? Personally, I like Civ III because the adivsors actually have faces, but I also like Civ IV for everything else, any thoughts? I'm going to add a poll.

2. Petros

Petros Chieftain

I prefer Civ IV because they eliminated most of the tedious micromanagement from it, and the combat system is much much more exciting (with promotions, units specialized against other types of units, etc.)... I think Civ IV is the best of all Civ games.

3. Mailman_Posty

Mailman_Posty Chieftain

Well i like civ 3 game play better because of the micro management. Makes the game more realistic.

4. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

Can't beat amazing Graphics. Civ 4.

5. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

^That's true, It would be awesome if they made some Leaderheads of Advisors! Ahhh! That would be the best!

6. Emperor2

Emperor2 Capitalist Missionary

Civ IV is the best computer game ever, but I really don't play many computer games. But I have played both, and Civ IV beats Civ III on every level imaginable (except Civ III had guerillas; but they were too weak).

7. Bushface

Bushface Chieftain

The corruption in Civ3 ruined it for me. Once beyond a ridiculously small distance from your palaces, cities only produced one unit of production or cash, so you had to feed them with units from your core cities in order to build anything,
    So I find Civ4 far, far better, But it would have been nice to be able to feed new cities with extra production, sometimes.

8. Da_V_Man

Da_V_Man Chock full of V goodness

In civ 3, you could switch to Communism and those waste/corruption problems would be over, but with the democracy, you had all the money to rush production.

9. Juni

Juni Chieftain

Civ 4: less mirco-managing=more fun playing...
    The graphics are cool too.

10. cheater

cheater Chieftain

I consider CIV III the 'classical' Civ. Civ IV has a lot of changes and thus is the 'new' civ. I like new more, though!

11. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

:crazyeye:

not another of those threads please. In this forum, almost everyone will praise CIV, go to the Civ3 forum and it would be the other way round.
    Be happy with whatever version you like and enjoy the game. Both have the pros and cons

12. AThousandYoung

AThousandYoung Chieftain

I never played civ III, but I find civ IV interesting but ultimately a bit boring.

13. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chieftain

Don't worry, T. A. Jones will soon come.. ;) :deadhorse:

14. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I played Civ II and Civ IV, but never played Civ III... But I don't see how it could be any better than Civ IV :)

15. eoc

eoc Chieftain

i more like Civ4, though Civ3 is pretty good

16. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

Not *another* one of these threads. Hasn't the dead horse been beat up enough? :rolleyes:

I play Civ4, but I much prefer Civ3 simply for the reason that it has a much more epic feel and because I don't need programming know-how or 3d Studio Max to mod it. I actually find Civ4 graphics absolutely horrible, but gameplay comes first and Civ4 gameplay is quite good. Civ3 gameplay, however, is more to my liking. It's just a matter of taste, not a matter of which is "better" than the other.

17. The Flame

The Flame ^^ bad diplomat ^^

Civ IV ftw!!

:rockon:

Love this game. Graphics, gameplay, and all that. It has improved much from Civ III, imho.

18. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

Civ III gives you more choices...

19. culdeus

culdeus Chieftain

II for what it's worth was the most groundbreaking of all of them.

I proved the concept and showed some promise, but II was truly groundbreaking and showed what could happen with TBS.

III was ill concieved from the start in many ways.

IV took the bad aspects of III out and paired it with good graphics. If I had to rank them.

II
    IV
    III
    I

20. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

^I left out II and I because most people haven't played them...