1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Civ in Civ 5 deserves a redo more than any other?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by pspboy7, Aug 18, 2011.

1. pspboy7

pspboy7 Prince

There are several civ types in the game I think deserve better unique units/abilities and such to make them more playable or balanced. While this question is undoubtably a loaded one hehe, I think England is probably the one that sticks in my mind. England was most remembered for being a world power at sea, but I think that makes them too easy to pick for only water maps and little else. England was also know for it's traditions and governance as well, and I think this aspect should have made it in the game for better balance for any situation or map. But that's my opinion. What about you people?

"Damn the torpedoes, Khannnn is on his way!" :D
    Captain Quirk

2. Artifex1

Artifex1 Warlord

England is bad unless your on island type map, the UA should be commerce related something involving ability to make more gold.

It sucks when a certain civ is only good on certain maps, I don't like that. I will admit longbowman is a good uu.

But overall england stinks.

3. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

The Americans again.

They're back to being Civ3 level suck. Semi-useless UA, and weak UU, though still much stronger than the F-15 from Civ3.

America in Civ4 was sort of helped by having 2 leaders, with Lincoln having a fairly decent trait, and a strong late game unique building. They don't get that here.

Though the 2 UU is much improved, the Minuteman is situational and the B-17 isn't that powerful vis-a-vis the vanilla bombers.

4. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

Actually it is. If you have xp buildings (barracks...etx) you can start with auto repair with b-17.

5. pspboy7

pspboy7 Prince

Thanks for the reply, I agree that the Americans suck in Civ 5, which is lame hehe. Hope it doesn't sound like I'm bashing the USA, because I'm not hehe. Just like the English, the USA doesn't get the attention or love it deserves ingame. I think the Ottomans got hosed as well IMO.

Yeah, the ship bonus, meh, give or take, the UU is good, but nothing spectacular other than range, but that unit goes away fast. Faster ships mean faster exploration of world map but, meh, England needs a redo.

Thanks for reply! :)

6. Brichals

Brichals King

All of the water ones, but only because the Ai still doesn't handle water well (although it might have improved). Actually UAs like Ottomans and England are great but playing archipelagos is just too faceroll.

7. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

Either England or Ottomans I think. Their UA are very situational, although their UUs sortof make up for it.

America is decent as is really. As long as you see them as a advanced start civ, which they are meant to be in my opinion (still okay on normal games though).

8. basta

basta Prince

Post-patch, Ottomans have become top ICS spammers with cities popping up like mushrooms on a wet dung-heap. Not a strong civ, but much like Russia, just invasive and hard to eradicate. Can't stand them.

Germany I find extremely weak and they need a total redo.

Also Egypt needs a serious buff because they're a builder civ in a defacto war game and are often wiped off the map in prehistory, which after all was when they were strongest.

9. Sir Lunchalot

Sir Lunchalot Chieftain

suggestions for buffing England:
    Additionally to the current trait they could increase the gold benefit from cities connected by harbors. As the dominant naval world power they have been for centuries, they would deserve something like that. Or maybe a UB harbor replacement (is the building even called harbor in the English version, don´t know cause I got the German one), providing more gold or happiness. Although the ship-of-the-line is strong indeed, a land UU would be more powerful, as navy is generally not so important in ciV. What about a strong rifleman replacement - Redcoats? Maybe with increased combat strength or more movement.

Beside the English, I guess the Ottomans should be buffed. Their trait really su**s imo.

10. thectexperience

thectexperience Chieftain

Don't stress dude, you can say sucks all the time, there's hardly any situation where it's really out of bounds.

11. thectexperience

thectexperience Chieftain

Back on topic, the Ottomans really do suck. A UA for barbarian ships is worth next to nothing. Having a beefed-up lancer is pretty pointless too.

The janissaries are the saving grace, on a par with musketeers -- worth it for an early expansion/builder strategy where you out-hammer your opponents and churn out infantry. Even for that though, you may as well play as France, with the free cultures for baby cities, then musketeers and you can continue on your merry way with the Foreign Legion

12. Brichals

Brichals King

England need a good land UU, are you crazy? :p Longbowmen are insane.

When I play as England they do actually end up getting very rich as I go commerce on water maps and you meet all the CSs and trading partners really fast. They do play out like Elizabethan England I think.

13. Optional

Optional Deity

It looks like only when Firaxis designed the expansion civs they thought about coming up with some scientific traits - for Babylon and Korea.
    It seems both unbalanced and unhistorical that a civ like Babylon doesn't get just a free scientist at Writing, but also scientific great persons double as quick, while other civilizations that in real history had a strong scientific flavour get nothing.
    One of Babylon's bonuses could easily have gone to a civ like Ottomans or Germany.

Ottomans the free scientist at Writing, Germany two science beakers added for every improved iron resource, would be my suggestion. Babylon remaining as it is, faster scientists, but not the free scientist at Writing anymore. Babylon still has that great Bowman, you wouldn't take that one away, of course.

14. Nightshades

Nightshades Chieftain

England, America and the Ottomans

The English are just overall weak. Decent on archipelago maps but that's it.
    Their UA should be about commerce or imperialism (such as -X unhappiness or +X happiness for puppeted cities). Also, if they add the Dutch as a new civ - it's them who should have the naval bonuses/commerce bonuses imo, not England.

So I would rather see a bonus to happiness for puppeted cities since England has probably been the most imperialistic nation (civilization) since medieval times.

And America - the extra sight is just . I like the idea that they should be "explorers" but then why can't their UA be to start with a scout, on top of the warrior and settler everyone get? Additionally I'm not very fond of modern era special units such as the US bomber or the Jap zero planes - many games are finished before that. I think the US should get a special industrial era unit instead: The Gatling Gun. It was the americans who invented the first machinegun (Gatling gun - predecessor to the minigun) after all.

Ottomans - I like all about them except the UA. It's a pathetic version of the german UA. The germans can get an early army by attacking barb encampments, but the Ottomans? They rely a lot more on luck since barbs are more likely to produce ground units.

15. Rex_Mundi

Rex_Mundi Prince

I don't think the Ottomans needs additional buffing.
    Both of the Janisaries unique abilities upgrade, and the 67% mentainance discount on navy units can and should be leveraged.

16. Brichals

Brichals King

Yeah Ottoman one is kind of interesting when you think you can field (or ocean?!) 3 frigates for the maintenance cost of 1 for example. I am playing a game with them now (GOTM 18 is really cool you should all do it!) but I'm pretty bummed I killed about 7 galleys and didn't convert even one.

OK so maybe Ottomans aren't perfect for your standard GL/NC builds etc. but you can have fun with them on a water map.

17. Rex_Mundi

Rex_Mundi Prince

Ottomans don't convert by killing, move your ship next to the barbarian ship, if it doesn't convert first time it never will.

18. Brichals

Brichals King

Oh :hammer2:

I thought they were like Privateers in Civ3. Silly me. Well I don't think I'm going to post a very big score in this GOTM then :(

19. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I liked the extra sight for the Americans. I actually missed that a lot when I played a game with someone else. Minutemen are also good - not themselves, but if you upgrade them.

Ottoman Janissaries alone make them worth playing. If I find the right map to spawn barb boats, that's even better. I view the UA as a perk. Something to do to kill time. With dramatically decreased naval costs, you can try and get a navy for the price of building only one boat.

20. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

This is my oppinion what civilizations should be changed:

England( IF i thinx about england I thinx about archers)
    Unique ability : same bonus for ships + archers recieve 30 experience(or more) when build and they aquire faster experience then other units..
    unique units:
    longbowman :no changes
    Change the ship of the line into redcouts( a unique british rifleman which has more strenght or other bonus)..

Germany (If I hear germany I thinx about a strong economy and teutonic civilization)
    Unique ability: It should be rather a economic bonus because germany has allways had the strongest economic in europe

Units:
    Instead of the landsnkecht they should have the teutonic knight If you thinx about germany in the medieval era i thinx about teutonic knights(a unique knight with more strenght)
    not landsknechts they where used by every country in europe
    For the panzer keep it

Ottomans(If I hear the ottomans I thinx about heavy siege units)
    Unique ability: same ability + every cannon and artillery recieve a amount of experience when build and they aquire faster experience then other units..

Unique unit:
    Janissary: Keep this unit historical correct
    Heavy bombard(replaces the cannon it has the indirect fire promotion and can fire across mountains and forest like artillery)
    The ottomans where know for their heavy bombard weapons So i dont understant why they didn't got a unique cannon