1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Civ is best Civ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Nov 24, 2020.

?

See title.

1. Civilization

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Civilization II

14.1%
  3. Civilization III

12.7%
  4. Civilization IV

56.3%
  5. Civilization V

5.6%
  6. Civilization VI

7.0%
  7. What's Civilization?

4.2%
  1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

See poll.

2. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Civ III although a lot seem to like CivIV.

CivIII is the last of the classic civs imho.

3. Darsnan

Darsnan Emperor

This has to be a trick question, as the poll doesn't include the best Civ game - Alpha Centauri.

D

Spidernova, cardgame, tjs282 and 3 others like this.
  4. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Point.

Angst likes this.
  5. amadeus

amadeus Civ2 / Law and Order!

II has Elvis.
    Elvis is the King.
    The King is the highest authority.

Therefore, Civilization II is the best.

cardgame and Valka D'Ur like this.
  6. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

When Civ 4 wins can admins delete all the other Civ forums pls and ty

cardgame likes this.
  7. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Civilization 4.

Is it really even a discussion?

TheMeInTeam and warpus like this.
  8. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Silence I reject your reality and substitute my own!!!.

9. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

A bunch of nostalgic OT farts the lot of you! :cool:

hobbsyoyo and NovaKart like this.
  10. amadeus

amadeus Civ2 / Law and Order!

In my case I would say it is less nostalgia and more disdain (though that may be too strong a word) for feature creep and the increasing complexity of the games.

I know this presents a challenge to game designers because if a game sequel is going to be just a rehash of what was done before, nobody would buy it.

I guess I feel that newer versions add in so many different features that it’s harder for me to wrap my head around all these new dynamics like religions, corporations, government trees, etc., though I do like some of the new features that give players incentives to develop certain buildings/units based on their respective terrains.

I haven’t played Civ6, so it would be unfair of me to criticize it since I don’t know what’s changed since 5. :dunno:

11. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I barely played Civ 4 let alone 5+6.

12. Colonel

Colonel Rule of Law

I remember playing Civilization on my Windows 3.1 computer when I was a young child, greatest of memories. I remember getting Civilization II as a birthday present for my Windows 95 computer. I remember eagerly awaiting the release of Civilization III, walked 3 miles to Walmart to get my copy the day it came out after I got my first Windows ME computer. God I'm old. :(

On that note, its a tough call between II & III

Two defined a generation of games and forever will be a classic however, I believe three to be the better game.

13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Civ4: BTS has the best balance in gameplay and also happens to be the game I've put in the most number of hours for, ever (civ or not). That's the version with the most satisfying and balanced gameplay and best replayability value, IMO.

I don't play it anymore because I like a lot of the new dynamics in civ 6 (and by extension 5). Plus the graphics are kind of dated now. Plus I did really put an insane amount of hours into it.. Its time has passed.

The never versions have better tile layouts, but suffer from the "wars now suck" syndrome. Also flashier and more interesting tile options.. same with other game options.. but game balance has suffered. The game tries to pigeonhole you into a certain type of gameplay - if you want to win that is.. unless you are playing at a lower difficulty level, in which case the computer is really dumb instead. Not great game balance. Essentially the developers did not bother to spend time making the "AI" intelligent enough to compete with you, and instead give them bonuses and you handicaps. And yes, in the older games that was the case as well, but now the game engine is more complex and it's easier for the "AI" to make stupid decisions. So that really stands out, when you play the game enough. I basically rely on new DLC and new empires to play to keep me interested, whereas Civ4:BTS is a game I could play over and over and over.. and over.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri gets silver for me, because it was just such a revolutionary game at the time.. with great game balance and replayability. I was hoping that Beyond Earth would be like that. But nope. Beyond Earth remains the last game I have ever pre-ordered. Never again. It's not bad but it could have been so much more..

The original Civilization will get bronze here, because it's just such a classic.. with great game balance, and.. it's simple, but a game does not have to be complex to be good. To this day I can remember the first day I saw this game at my friend's place. I knew that I had to have it.. and from that day on, at some point in 1992 (or 93?), I was hooked. The "you've conquered a city" graphic, with the troops marching in front of the city, is something I won't ever forget, and let's not forget the accompanying sounds..

Honourable mention: The original Colonization.. and the remake, as they are essentially the same game. Brilliant game, but they made it a bit too simple. Imagine if it was a more flexible sort of grand scale colonization game, with more victory options, and not just an attempt to recreate European colonization of the Americas or whatever. It could have scored higher on this list, and yes I have to list it.

Sofista, tjs282, Samson and 1 other person like this.
  15. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Civ2... The ease of modability allows virtually anyone to make it anything they want.

Patine likes this.
  16. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I only played 1 and 2

17. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I've played 1-5 and think 4 is best.

18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

At least Civ3 has the most talented modders ^_^

Gelion likes this.
  19. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Super Moderator

Actually, I think you mean Civ IV. :p

Birdjaguar and tjs282 like this.
  20. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Civ II will always be the best civ, sorry IV fanbois.

Tbh though I've enjoyed each and every one of them when they came out (aside from I) and VI is pretty good. But II is the only one I re-install every now and then to play again.