Which Civ/leader best suits your playstyle?

I would make a poll, but not enough options for all the leaders. Obviously I play all the civs, but some civs just scratch that itch better than others, and encompass strategies/synergies that best suit my playstyle. For me, that Civ is Frederick/Germany. I love building industrial zones and commercial hubs anyways, so this civ fits me perfect. I love money, and I love production. And I almost always play with monopolies mode on anyways, so commercial hubs are always being built by me to generate great merchant points. I normally disable cultural victory when playing this mode. The only aspect of the civ I don't really utilize is attacking city states. And the u-boat I don't utilize all that much, though I usually build at least one raider type naval unit. And my mods give me the Tiger tank as well.

As you would expect I'm playing a game with them right now. And everything is going so well. I'm not going against the grain here. It's always enjoyable when I'm not struggling. Some of that is a decent map (though I had to deal with Norway crowding me out).

So what is your go-to civ that works with your playstyle?

Lady Six Sky. The micromanagement of a hugely sprawling empire annoys me eventually, so as much as it is the optimal way to play I prefer not to. Lady Six Sky lets me get a nice core of very efficient cities and then just grab a few colonies for resources... and I have a lot more fun playing like that than sprawling like crazy.

I'd say either Eleanor/France or Laurier/Canada.

I enjoy accruing tourism, casually flipping cities, being peaceful, and gaming the WC.

I enjoy both Australia and the Dutch.
They both have similar playstyles in which you could really go for any victory. They also make it to where you can also thrive in places that other civs can't such as both of them being coastal and Australia in the desert.

My more successful games are with civs that have a civspecific early game terrain bonus: Maori (yields from forests and jungles), Gaul (culture bombs from mines), Russia (tundra yields and extra tiles when founding cities) and of course America/Bull Moose Teddy (yields from high appeal tiles). I often get frustrated by being far behind the AI in medieval and renaissance eras, so my favourite civs are those that can already compete in the early game.

Germany. Ve haff pointie schticks!! (and panzers) :)

either domination or science. (once you get started on domination, culture goes nuts, so I shut that VC off, same for religion. diplo is... borked)
:)

Qin Shi Huang, any Wonder bonus is usually good, and honestly, Qin Shi Huang is perfect, get the builders to get early era wonders, then let those early era wonder propell you forward while i focus the production on actually expanding my territory/land and snowballing further.

3. Dido: Archipelago map with a properly executed Magnus Provision settler spree is just :o
2. Pericles and Gorgo: Pericles is just "haha big Culture go brrrrrrrr" (plus some really fun Apadana strats) and Gorgo is here because I love the Culture on kill and making good use of underpowered anti-cav (a lot of the buffs for melee units like Oligarchy, Battering Rams, and Siege Towers are all applied to them too making Domination easier than you'd think)
1. Victoria (Gathering Storm edition): Literally everything I love in Civ.
  • Insane late game yields and satisfying district (Industrial Zone in this case) planning? Check.
  • Colonization and roleplay bonuses? Check.
  • Great on the coast (Harbor money and trade routes)? Check.
  • Naval raiding? It might be worse than the Barbary Corsair but I still love it.
  • Unique military bonuses that aren't just hyper-focused on early conquest? Check.
  • Acknowledging Military Engineers and making good use of them? Check.
And then the infinite strategics are just the cherry on top. I hardly every have to worry about unit resource requirements or being short on Power, and have tons of excess to sell off to everyone else.

I like all civs with their unique strategies. I feel like its unfair to choose a few and leave the rest out.

Its Trajan for me. Rome is a great civ in just about any situation, allowing you to get a head start on culture, gold generation, militaristic mobility with roads, etc.. And early strategy to spam warriors which you can (hopefully, assuming you have discovered iron) turn into Legions and expand your empire by conquering in the Classical age, then setting you up to play however you want for the rest of the game. Doesn't hurt to be able to pillage and rebuild in enemy conquered cities to drive additional gold/culture/science/faith.

I'm a player who loves campuses, trade routes, building (so districts) and exploring. I'm not so much into warfare after the early game, and the religion game is a chore to me.
I play mostly huge maps at immortal. I have played and won with every civ available, and then some (mods).

By far the civ that most fits my play style is Portugal on any semblance of sea maps. Having some 25+ trade routes with a 12 city empire makes everything soooo easy. Too easy one might say.

On non sea maps, be it pangea or others, it's surprisingly Cree that fits the bill. The combination of bonus trade routes, alliance and Trade Routes enhancement, tiles grabbing through trade routes and mekewap makes the mostly uninsprired Okihtcitaw unit palatable.

I'd like to remind everyone that the OP asks for the CIVs that most fits your play style, not the ones you enjoy the most ;-) One might think that they should be the same, but for my part, that's a wrong assumption.

As I've also played a lot of modded civs, I'd would also mention Sukritact's Swahili in here... the originality of using support units to make boats that boosts yields in water tiles is a stroke of genius to me. As I enjoy sea maps, it fits my play style very well.

I'm a player who loves campuses, trade routes, building (so districts) and exploring. I'm not so much into warfare after the early game, and the religion game is a chore to me.
I play mostly huge maps at immortal. I have played and won with every civ available, and then some (mods).

By far the civ that most fits my play style is Portugal on any semblance of sea maps. Having some 25+ trade routes with a 12 city empire makes everything soooo easy. Too easy one might say.
Same here. I tend to build a lot of coastal cities (despite Harbors being able to be built in cities not directly on the coast). I love to send out trade routes and maximize my gold income, and I build a lot of Campuses. So Joao of Portugal caught my eye as soon as his information started dropping before his release.

None of them are really different enough in core playstyle that I can say that it affects me much.
And for those who are somewhat different, they don't really promote a playstyle that I "prefer".
I also prefer variety, so I play most of them just to do something new.

Ones that dominate their terrain. so: Inca for mountains, Canada (since the latest buffs) for tundra, Mali for desert, and Vietnam (though not the underwhelming Brazil) for jungle.

One that fits my playstyle? I like to focus on Gold/Production, Wonders and to get many Great People. I focus on being small but tall and I don't really see Culture as a big thing unless I focus on a Cultural Victory. I'd say Mansa Musa, Pedro or Catherine

In general though I pick Gorgo just because of that Greek +1 Wildcard bonus. It goes so well early game and you are pretty much guaranteed a Prophet.

Last edited:
Not tremendously original, but like a kid I prefer playing Rome or Scythia in Deity, because they mean bearable early conquest that is essential in this difficulty I think. Plus I love Rome free monuments and roads. That's usually what I pick by default.

Last edited:
None of them fit my 'playstyle', since I change it depending on who/what I am playing, but since I spent over 15 years in the US Army as a nuclear missile fire direction computer and fire direction chief, I feel occasionally compelled to play Nukin' Gandhi just for Old Time's Sake . . .

None of them fit my 'playstyle', since I change it depending on who/what I am playing, but since I spent over 15 years in the US Army as a nuclear missile fire direction computer and fire direction chief, I feel occasionally compelled to play Nukin' Gandhi just for Old Time's Sake . . .
They all got nukes and no civ has unique nukes, haha.

I haven't played enough civ games to pinpoint wich leader/civ really suits my play-style best. I still haven't played with all civs (Gran Colombia for instance) and I got really, really late to the chopping game (and making effective use of magnus). I do like money and wonders though, but early domination tastes so good too!

Top Bottom