1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which civ should I use in 'Into the Renaissance Scenario'

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by EricTheGreat12, May 8, 2013.

?

Which civ is a good choice

1. England

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Celts

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. France

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Spain

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Sweden

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Netherlands

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. Austria

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  8. Russia

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Byzantium

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  10. Turks

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. EricTheGreat12

EricTheGreat12 King

Which civ is best to play in the scenario ?

2. Maxym

Maxym King

What level? And what are your objectives?

Russia is fun, but got Mongols to deal with.

Turks have awesome UUs and access to holy cities, same with Byz which should be easiest to start with but lack later era UUs.

For challenge Celts and Sweden, maybe Dutch as expansion is limited and not many chances to rack up holy war VPs.

3. plast

plast Chieftain

Turks definitely have an advantage as they are right next to three holy cities, and you can conquer two of them within 15 turns easy and get the founder benefits from Islam. My game with them has turned out to be a bit quiet though. Still like 70 turns to go, but aside from early DOWs from Saladin, everyone hates me but no one is attacking. I image most of the action takes place elsewhere. There is a thread about this scenario in the general discussions forum.

4. EricTheGreat12

EricTheGreat12 King

Considering their UA, is austria fun to play in the scenario?

5. Haig

Haig Deity

France has a strong position and can initiate a crusade towards southern islam nations, I like them. Spain is good too and you can colonize northern Africa.

But Byzantine is maybe the most fun, a challenging starting position, no real allies except Russia, very cool UUs.

6. ekat2468

ekat2468 Warlord

Depends on what you want to do. Are you going for an easy victory or a fun victory?
    Easiest civs are probably Byzantium(Just defend yourself and make sure no one else passes you in score by expanding, building wonders), Turks(You start next to Constantinople AND Jerusalem AND Mecca), Austria(once your economy gets rolling, you absorb yourself a MASSIVE empire thanks to the UA, and you can normally absorb the vatican fairly early on).
    For a fun victory, Russia is fun if you can fend off the mongols, then just invade europe and get a lot of points that way.

7. ekat2468

ekat2468 Warlord

Celts/England are good for early really war-mongering(I accidentally clicked the enter button on my keyboard, while the post quick reply button was highlighted typing my last reply, while using quick reply)

8. sufficiency

sufficiency King

I feel that Byzantium is one of the easiest to play on that map.

9. Merenptah

Merenptah Warlord

Austria = easiest

Russia = hardest

10. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Austria can be ridiculously easy to play.

Try to Ally/Marry the Vatican ASAP. That gives you access to the founder belief, which increases your influence with the majority of city states. In addition, Austria is decently positioned that they can attack Byzantium/Russia if they want.

Byzantium is also a good choice to play because they start with their own Holy City, they have access to lots of enemies (of other religions) to attack, and Dromons are still quite good.

The Turks and Almohads are also decent. Turks can attack Byzantium and snatch a Holy City. The Almohads can attack Spain and send Caravels (but you will be pretty isolated in terms of trading partners and have to deal with lots of barbarians).

11. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

I only played on prince, but yeah austria is quite simple. You just marry the vatican. in the east there is enough room to settle, and hen you are in need of points, russian or byzantium are close by.

I really liked this scenario, but it weights too much on my pc cause of the huge map. I didnt really play the last 50 turns, just pressed enter most of the time

12. truenarnian

truenarnian Emperor

WHOOOA! Where's Almohads on the poll? I'm with Halcyan - Almohads are great!

13. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom Chieftain

The one time I ever played it, I played with whoever Songhai is supposed to be representing.

Very very fun. I captured Jerusalem I think and made friends with Mecca to get founder beliefs. I haven't finished yet, so so far I have about maybe 50 turns to go or so while I'm halfway through mowing the Ottomans (or whoever those are). Their army had been about quintuple my size for the entire thing, but I've managed to slim them down to maybe double my size and I'm trying to capture them all. I'm not really sure if that was the objective as playing as them, but an army quintuple my size is a fun challenge

14. Maxym

Maxym King

Both are very easy to get Domination Victory with, Russia thanks to thei UU and especially UA, Austria with well timed marriage or two, although I was never able to marry Vatican.

15. Hinterlander

Hinterlander Chieftain

With Byz, settle on city on Cyprus and build a navy of dromons and get them upgraded bombarding the turks. Take this navy into the adriatic and kick ass. You can also send a navy to the Crimea and kick Mongol butt.

With Byz you should build cities throughout Anatolia and the Balkans or be prepared to watch austria and the turks expand.

16. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Will the reformation process help? I mean the internal conflicts of the divided Christian faith.

17. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

The Reformation spread is often too random to consistently rely on it. Sometimes the new religion spreads like wildfire. Sometimes Wittenburg gets conquered or the religion is quickly snuffed out. Also it comes in the late game when turns are tortuously long, there is more tech parity and lots of units are around.

18. Maxym

Maxym King

Yes as Dutch you are in position to take action to take advantage of reformation. Conquer Wittenberg, annex and spread it to your cities. Then fight everyone who is catholic. You can give it a few turns to see it protestantism spreads on it own. You can protect them from foreign missionaries to help it out. Once you decide to move do it quickly, have faith ready to buy lots of missionaries. If you pull it off you can go for autocracy and skip order and go on murdering spree. the religion is that great, I guess this way you might get Domination with Dutch as their naval UU will own the seas leaving plenty of iron for ur land units. And central position makes reaching all caps a bit easier.