1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Civ5 civilisation had the biggest impact on history?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Krajzen, Mar 23, 2014.

?

Which of these civilisations had biggest impact on history, or were most impressive?

1. America - Power of Freedom

59 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. Maya - 2012

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Aztec - Ancient Mexico

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Inca - Mountain Empire

8 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Brasil - Emerging Power

6 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Egypt - Pyramid Makers

38 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. Ethiopia - Citadel of Christianity

8 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Rome - Eternal Empire

156 vote(s)
    48.4%
  9. Spain - Sword and Cross

23 vote(s)
    7.1%
  10. Portugal - Masters of Exploration

10 vote(s)
    3.1%
  11. France - the City of Lights

23 vote(s)
    7.1%
  12. England - Greatest Naval Empire Ever

98 vote(s)
    30.4%
  13. Germany - Steam and Glory

25 vote(s)
    7.8%
  14. Russia - Eurasian Bear

24 vote(s)
    7.5%
  15. Greece - the Cradle of Philosophy

100 vote(s)
    31.1%
  16. Ottomans - Between Orient and Occident

14 vote(s)
    4.3%
  17. Arabia - Voice of Prophet

41 vote(s)
    12.7%
  18. Babylon - the Cradle of Civilisation

27 vote(s)
    8.4%
  19. Persia - First Civilised Empire

19 vote(s)
    5.9%
  20. India - the Temple of Mind

22 vote(s)
    6.8%
  21. Mongolia - Greatest Land Empire Ever

40 vote(s)
    12.4%
  22. Japan - Samurai and Anime

10 vote(s)
    3.1%
  23. China - Great Dragon

78 vote(s)
    24.2%
  24. Celts - Fathers of Europe

9 vote(s)
    2.8%
  25. Byzantium - Roman Citadel

10 vote(s)
    3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Babri

Babri Emperor

Arabia - Voice of Prophet(SAW). Even to this day, despite Arabia not being a super power anymore, Islam is still the most dominant religion in many countries & it is also the fastest growing religion in the West. Interestingly due to some odd reason it is also some of the most misunderstood religion by people today. Lack of knowledge among common people & propaganda could be a reason for that.

2. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood King

I voted Greece and China. As much as I dislike America as a civilization, their culture is as English/German/French/Native as the Roman culture was Greek/Celtic/Italic so I abstained from both. England is again Roman/Celtic/Germanic/Norman and IMO, had it not been as powerful an empire, more countries would speak Dutch/French/German but no massive difference on the modern world.

3. Merciorum

Merciorum Prince

China needs more votes here for this to be remotely accurate. Hell, it should probably be second to Rome, if not outright first. Too much Eurocentrism :(.

4. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

Besides China itself and the Sinosphere (Korea, Japan, Vietnam, etc., all of which have distinctive cultures of their own), China's influence on the world hasn't actually been that great...

5. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

The great firewall does actually exist in China. Chinese citizens have limited access to other influences because it..

6. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

Denim was invented in Genoa and used by dock workers.

Edit: I fail at quoting...

7. Koiranputki

Koiranputki Prince

Well... from what I remember, "demin" ...the fabric... was invented in Nimes in southern France.... ....de Nimes.... But because of the directness of your comment I thought I had better check....

According to wiki the first denim trousers were made in Genoa and hence the origin of the word, "jeans", in English....

So it seems the French invented the fabric; the Genoese,(Italians), a practical application; and the Americans made money on it by turning it into a "fashion statement"... :)

8. Tandaw

Tandaw Chieftain

I would say Rome more so than anyone else. They were one of the largest empires in history as well as one of the largest lived. In their time they were "spreaders" of many things taken from other people. Many aspects of other Civilizations (ie. Carthage, Greece, Egypt) were absorbed by their culture and brought to people all across Europe. Rome also brought Christianity to much of their empire after Constantine made it the empire's official religion. And Christianity as we all know shaped Europe and by extension all it touches for over a millennia after the empire fell.

9. s8g

s8g Chieftain

I voted England - the empire that spread its language to the world. And they also created most of the relevant systems in Parlamentarism...

10. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

In fact, all the civs have an impact on earth...

11. Babri

Babri Emperor

Ethnocentrism is natural among humans. Just check the votes US got here. Most Europeans/Americans would vote for countries which had the greatest impact on the western society or the one which is their favourite. Similarly Asians, Africans & others would have their own preferences.

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk

12. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Ethnocentrism is natural indeed, but it seems for me that only Western Europe is such self - centric. I mean, I spent many, many hours researching Eurocentrism in the Internet and I was reading many articles of historians from various nations - not to mention my general hobby of learning about exotic cultures, especially from East Asia - and it seems for me that other 'cultural groups' are less 'self - centric' than West...

In my country, Poland, similar threads ('Greatest civilisations/empires ever') usually end with something like that:
    England, USA, Mongolia, China, India, obvious pack of Egypt - Greece - Rome

I still remember Le Monde's list 'TOP100 writers of all time' - 87 of them were from Western Europe :crazyeye:

13. Babri

Babri Emperor

That is true indeed. Europeans had been more ethnocentric than most of the other civilizations. That is why we had Romans & Greeks call everyone other than themselves as filthy barbarians & savages. The same attitude was later on shown my colonial powers such as Spain & England towards native Americans & Africans.

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk

14. Dadinjo

Dadinjo Chieftain

Well, If you look by number of important stuff that effect todays world it would probaby be Greece/Rome civilization.

However, one can not overlook that it was in China that civilization itself first apeared. First place where people stared agriculture (rice). Having more food that they can eat it, they stopped moving from place to place. Started storing food (pottery) and trading with others and first permanent settlements appeared.

15. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

Actually, Sumer, in Mesopotamia, was the first and oldest civilization. After that, one source I read says that civilization emerged at roughly the same time in Egypt, India, and China. Another source indicates that after Sumer, civilization emerged next in Egypt and India, and then some time later in China.

16. lolno

lolno Warlord

It would be:

1. China
    2. China
    3. China
    4. England
    5. Mongols

Why? No gunpowder, no compass, no water-tight compartments, no stern-mounted rudder, no British Empire.
    No Chinese market, much diminished drive for Age of Exploration.
    No Chinese state, no reason for Mongols to stay in Mongolia. No tax and population base to mount their later conquests.

Then there's pottery, row-planting, paper, blast furnaces, pound locks, possibly briquetage for salt harvests, the domestication of rice and millet, seed drills. Without even ONE of these the world would revert 100-500 years. Meanwhile China stands on its own from 7,000 BC to around 1750s AD almost without needing a single technological, philosophical or social innovation coming from outside.

17. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

While that may be, I don't know that the world would revert so far back. Indeed, contact and trade with China certainly increased the speed that these inventions reached the Western world, but they were also discoveries reached independently by Western nations. Egypt invented the papyrus scroll, if you can count it as paper. (I can, but maybe I don't know enough about papyrus.) Rome, Greece and Carthage all used blast furnaces, and bloomeries were used as far back as Hittite times. Pottery seems to have been discovered by everyone across the world independently, so I don't think we can classify that as a Chinese invention. But gunpowder and compass? Sure, but they didn't make nearly as much use of it as the Europeans.

18. lolno

lolno Warlord

I tried to list things specifically developed in China that transmitted elsewhere in the world. Pottery vessels are debatable but it was invented so much earlier in China (17,000 years ago) and the historical record points to an outward diffusion from China and perhaps later Egypt, but we don't know. Inoculation is another one I forgot to mention.

Bloomeries rather than blast furnaces were used in the Mediterranean. I don't think any iteration of Rome ever saw them. And the notion that China only developed fireworks with gunpowder is a myth, propagated in WW2 as anti-Japanese propaganda. China developed a wide array of gunpowder weapons and used them to deadly effect. Development slowed in the 1500s but picked up fast once more in the mid-1600s, at which point Japanese and Ming arquebuses were the best in the world and the Koreans had some of the best musketeers.

As far as setting civilization back goes rice alone is required for the survival of more than 1/4th of the world's population.

19. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

While the choson, yamato and shang were in Asia, Rome and Carthage were in Europe and the mediterrenean. Geographically, yamato was in Japan, Shang was around China and Choson around Korea. I don't have much of a chronological period to organize these facts better, but the Carthaginians did have primitive fireworks in their vessels to burn down Roman ships who wanted to conquer Carthage. Eventually, the Romans found one of these Carthaginian fire vessels in their coasts and started copying it.

20. lolno

lolno Warlord

Presumably those were flammable and not combustive compounds, nonetheless they didn't lead to the development of modern gunpowder weapons or dynamite (extremely important for building infrastructure) as Chinese gunpowder did.