Which civilization are you going to play?

Which civilization are you going to start off with?

• English

Votes: 79 33.8%
  • Dutch

Votes: 86 36.8%
  • French

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • Spanish

Votes: 30 12.8%

• Total voters
Money is my motivator too. If I have to teach a few natives some respect for my authority, then so be it, but I don't go out of the way to smash them, either (unless they're Incas, who have gold that's very useful). I think I've played the Spanish and the French once each, just to see, but my play-style didn't match their abilities very well. The fur bonus just meant you swamped the markets that much more quickly (or was that a different game?). The English seemed to me to not really have much of a bonus, so I chose them for a "vanilla"-feeling game now and then.

I expect I'll get this when it comes out, and when I do, I'll be sure to play all of them a couple times, but I always focused on trying to get my economy in order, and never could quite do it once the game got to a certain point. I think I only ever declared independence once out of a hundred or so games started, because I just never could hold it all in my head! I'm really hoping the promise of better display (what villages can train what) fixes this for me; I have to SEE things to "see" them.

The fur bonus just meant you swamped the markets that much more quickly (or was that a different game?).

The fur bonus didn't came from a nation but it instead came from the founding father Henry Hudson, who increases fur output with 100%.

I always played the French in Col. Not only for roleplaying purposes, but also because I liked the idea of cooperating with the natives. I could never have played the Spanish, razing everything.

I'd probably play as France. Not for any game bonuses, but because I would be founding Montreal, Quebec, and other Quebec cities. That's sorta trippy.

I remember te Dutch being my first choice when I got the original game. But after the first few games (with a couple of aborted starts) I shifted mainly between the French and English. I found the extra colonists for the English to be quite useful to get big fast, but the French native relations also helped. Strangely I don't remember playing the Spanish much in Col, even though I often play the conquerer in Civ.

The Dutch. I had tried the other nations but with the Dutch it was just so easy to get rich!!!

The bonuses didn't really matter much in the original game.

The Spanish could only burn so many cities, and each city they burnt decreased their score. Besides, you'd spend so much of your time killing natives that it lent itself to neglecting the infrastructure of the actual colonies themselves. It was more, lets buy lots of soldiers with all our plundered gold; and then when there were no more natives to kill, let's declare independence and sick all of our soldiers on the king. You didn't really get into the feel and purpose of the game.

The Dutch recieved an initial commerce bonus, but eventually this didn't matter bcz the market became over flooded with goods and the prices all dropped to nothing, which happened to all of the other civs too.

The natives got angry a little slower with the French, but eventually they would get angry anyway, and war would break out.

The English recieved more colonists than you knew what to do with, and eventually you'd have them just sitting around waiting to be trained in the university or waiting for muskets to be built.

The same maxes would be met no matter what civ you played as. You always ended up fighting indians (or simply having your pioneers killed and your settlements raided), you always maxed out the colonist limit at 255, and inundating the European markets until the point of goods were worthless. And of course, you had well over 100,000 gold by the time you declared independence and your army was larger than the King's small force of hapless of victims. I don't think I ever fought a revolution longer than a handful of turns, or ever lost a colony. The game was a little too easy. But, I loved it nonetheless.

BTW. My favorite tactic was not to land on the east coast, but to sail all the way around to the west side, settle, and have the region all to myself.

Spain. Since I am warmonger and It would fun to ruin the French's bonus by conquer the Natives

BTW. My favorite tactic was not to land on the east coast, but to sail all the way around to the west side, settle, and have the region all to myself.

Hey, that's neat! I still have the original Col on an old computer. I must try that stratagem. And you'd probably start out with the Incas as neighbours - good for trade! And lots of silver!

The dutch for the ship - who cares about the rest, the ship was such a huge bonus...

Yup... Dutch... but definately gonna try the others too... I always had trouble with the indians, even when I was trying to be nice, so I'm hoping France will be more "playable" for a guy like me with my aparent lack of diplomatic skills :blush:

My favorite tactic was not to land on the east coast, but to sail all the way around to the west side, settle, and have the region all to myself.
I did that all the time too. ;)
It took quite some time to get there, and ships needed more time to reach Europe this way, but you didn't have to compete for land with the other nations, you could neglect your military much longer, and you could have the Incas or the Aztecs as trade partners instead of the Arawaks. :goodjob:

Top Bottom