Which civilization is the greatest? Let's find out!

sav

Prince
Not sure if anyone's done this before - probably, but what the hell. :lol:

http://civilizationtestoftime.blogspot.com/

In short, I'm going to play civs off one another in a kind of semi-knockout competition thing, with a few matches in each round to make sure no one gets unfairly knocked out, with points awarded for wins, etc etc.

Full description of how it'll work here: http://civilizationtestoftime.blogspot.com/p/what-is-this-this-is-attempt-to-find.html

The first round will feature Agamemnon of Greece, Adams of America, Agueybana of the Arawak, Akbar of India, Alaric of the Goths, Alexander of Macedonia, Arpad of Hungary, Ashburnipal of Assyria, Asoka of India and Ataturk of the Ottomans.

Any predictions of who will win? I'm just starting this out, inspired by that crazy Reddit thread, hopefully will stick with it to the bitter end :p (no way will it take 10 years, either!)

Cheers! :goodjob: (mods feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong place!)

Moderator Action: Thread moved to Civ4 General Discussion (because we don't have an idea yet how this will turn out).

Whoops! That wasn't a good start, was it?

Anyway. I'm still working out exactly what parameters are going to work - it seems with the AI autoplay, the game's not quite as stable as it is when I'm playing normally. Or it could be the map size - I wanted to stay away from small maps, but might have to go that way in order to stop it crashing. The mod I'm using, I never had any trouble with it before though.

Anyway, like the Mod said, we'll see how this turns out :)

Your going to have to set it up on the same map with the exact same civilisation positions and potentially the same city locations. I'm not sure how the AI goes about placing its cities but I believe it will be in the same spots unless its scouting pattern is off considering the AI usually sticks their cities in the blue circles

Your going to have to set it up on the same map with the exact same civilisation positions and potentially the same city locations. I'm not sure how the AI goes about placing its cities but I believe it will be in the same spots unless its scouting pattern is off considering the AI usually sticks their cities in the blue circles

Have a read of the methodology - I'm just running random games, but a few times over for each round, to minimise the flukes and one-offs. At least, I will be when I work out why it keeps crashing in the modern era.

The issue with it being random though defeats the basis of finding out which civ is the best. If the environment that you are testing in will be different for a different civ you can't compare them, because some will be placed near tundra while others may get grassland with lots of food. The environment must be be the same for each civ to determine which is best at coping with the situation that they are given

The issue with it being random though defeats the basis of finding out which civ is the best. If the environment that you are testing in will be different for a different civ you can't compare them, because some will be placed near tundra while others may get grassland with lots of food. The environment must be be the same for each civ to determine which is best at coping with the situation that they are given

Which is why each round consists of three separate games with a scoring system - if a Civ can't compete consistently in different conditions, then it won't win. Besides, using the same map every time will just favour whichever civilization does well on that particular map, won't it?

Hey, it's just all a bit of fun.

It shouldn't favour any civ if it's the same starting locations for each civ your testing. I'm just a bit confused by your method that's all, by all means have fun with it and I too wish to see what AI nations do better under certain situations.

Not to be a downer but I don't think this is for civ IV either. III I think if memory serves.

It's Civ2!

The title on sav's last post links it to "CIVILIZATION - THE TEST OF TIME", which is the expansion to Civilization 2.

Civilization 3 was Play the World and Conquests.

So, yes it needs to be moved to the Civ2 section of the forum.

So much effort being wasted only to find out what we already know - Darius :D

Top Bottom