1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which civilizations are the winners and losers?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Disgustipated, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm not talking about Civs you play, but under AI control. Of course the losers tend to be AI civs that start next to me, but for the sake of discussion, let's discuss AI civs far away or on the other continents. I know the AI's can be weak as kittens, I'm mostly basing this on score and number of cities.

I often discover that America is on top. Despite them not liking civs that declar wars on their own continent, I find they do it quite often (perhaps like in real life). At the very least they conquer city states, one game they conquered Germany. They seem to have no problem warring on their own continent. Hypocrites.

Greece seems to do fairly well as well. Along with Aztecs. Aztecs can be surprisingly advanced technologically. Scythia also does very well. In my current game she has almost as many cities as me. She put the beatin' on in the other continent, over the Romans even (though she didn't get his capital).

As for the losers it always seems to be Spain. Poor Spain. I almost feel sorry for him. I haven't seen him in too many games though.

2. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I've never seen either Harald or Victoria do well. Trajan, on the other hand, seems to do reliably better.

3. Larsenex

Larsenex King

Tomrys is in my game. She is fielding a large army of horsmen 8 by my last count. While I have a couple of archers, 3 warriors and I am starting to build swordsmen. I am <itching> to go to war with her.....She already conquered Jakarta!

4. Ulthwithian

Ulthwithian King

Something to note is that Kongo tends to be quite advanced scientifically, presumably because the two first districts that come up are Holy Site and Campus and Kongo can't build Holy Sites. So they build Campuses by default.

This points to a greedy algorithm of sorts for AI district placement. That's a shame, because one area that the AI should be able to outperform most humans is use of city tiles.

5. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I totally agree with Ulthwithian, I think the Holy Site block really helps the Kongo AI.

Other Civs that I see doing well are the Aztecs and Sumerians. The really strong melee UUs are helping these AIs take over some city-states, sometimes even some other civs, so they can get some decent expansion going.

I haven't really noticed any one Civ that's performed particularly weakly in my games. Maybe Norway, they got conquered by another AI in each of my last two games.

6. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

Norway and England are quite bad AI if they don't have true coastal starts.

England as a player though is quite fun to play on any kind of water map. The amount of gold you get from the Royal Navy shipyard trade routes is kind of insane.

7. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Germany has had a good game on another continent, Rome too. I just had an AI Greece race through the cultural tree, though their empire ended when I got nukes. In my first game China was doing pretty well in science.

8. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I'm guessing the coastal start bias is probably hurting both these Civs in AI hands. Coastal tiles are really weak and coastal starts usually mean there are less directions to expand in.

9. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

So far I've seen Kongo and Arabia do consistently well. And India.

Egypt and France seem to have a hard time of it. Possibly Japan too.

Everyone else has had ups and downs.

But I've yet to play with Aztecs or Gorgo.

10. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha King

Immortal game I just played, Kongo had a Spaceport up by turn 200, was taking his own sweet time getting a Science victory, though, no Mars launches by year 310.

11. AltarofScience

AltarofScience The Brain

China is a nation that should do REALLY well. Assuming they get a good starting location. As a player China can get the majority of the early wonders before their rivals. Kongo often steals the library because as people note, they have no religion powers.

I consistently see Green and Scythia do very well. Japan as well. A lot of civs have bonuses that are only really good if you minmax properly which the AI can't do. Germany for example with that extra district.

12. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Does the success of some Civs depend on map size, speed etc?

Apart from a few early attempts, I have only played on Ludicrous-size Giant Earth maps at marathon pace.
    Japan consistently does quite well in Science. China has a fairly easy run at lower levels.

13. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Is it strong in religion in your games?
    When does it usually get a religion? Medieval era?

14. SpoonyGundam

SpoonyGundam Chieftain

Russia has done very well in several of my games. They expanded a lot, and took a bunch of cities from weaker neighbors.
    I've seen a bunch of coastal starts without fresh water too. Players can reroll when that happens, but the AI is just stuck with it. It's a bad time.

15. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Prince

I've seen Scythia mop up its fellow AIs in several games (Dom/Religion). I've also seen Ghandi do well in multiple categories in some games. On the flipside, Norway has been in all of my games so far and has been nothing more than a punching bag in every single one.

16. dwarfling

dwarfling Chieftain

I had a Cleopatra get Globalization at turn 200 (Deity), which really caught me by surprise. She was sharing another continent with Gilgamesh and had something like 8 cities (but like 2 were ex-CS).

Other than that seems like everytime I get America AI they keep up with techs at least (but not #cities).

17. Cabbagesavager

Cabbagesavager Chieftain

I used to think Spain would suck big time. But everytime Spain seems to thrive if they expand sufficiently. I remember getting scared when Spain actually took over Paris in one of my deity games. Shortly afterwards America swarmed me and took my capital with my entire army fighting on another city (also against America), at Turn 110 marathon. I was like wtf in that game.

18. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Prince

I've had the same experiences as most of the posts here. Played a 16 civ game on Epic/King, and while none of the AIs were ever a threat in any category, Kongo was the best at science and Egypt was best at culture. Rome expanded the most, England and France failed to expand. Scythia was powerful as long as horsemen were still relevant. Germany, China, Brazil and Spain hated everyone and were hated, because of their agendas, so they were heavily suppressed by constant wars.

None of the AIs ever managed to capture a city after the medieval age though, and obviously didn't upgrade their units.

The most technologically and militarily advanced faction other than myself was consistently the barbarians, who kept ravaging all the AIs in the late game with mech infantry, stealing all their workers and settlers for me to recapture.

CaiusDrewart likes this.
  19. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

Sadly, AI can't handle China at all. Every game of mine so far Qin turns into Trump and starts building walls instead of actually useful improvements. Oh, and then he complains when you build that one wonder he couldn't hold anyway.

20. AltarofScience

AltarofScience The Brain

I'm fairly certain the Civ6 AI is totally incapable of abusing its worker advantage effectively. Although from my perspective a relatively simple AI handler process could make it work easily.