Which civs are best for beginners and advanced players?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Ita Bear, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Ita Bear

Ita Bear Warlord

Hello folks

Interested to hear how you would rate the VP civilisations on a scale of how suited they are for newer and more experienced players. Which civilisation has abilities easiest to utilise, and which require more advanced knowledge of the game's mechanics?

Kind regards
    Ita Bear

Sardauker likes this.
  2. stii

stii King

It can be a bit tricky to split off power level so I'm going to list some civs whoes abilities are a bit less obvious.

Brazil - Their UI also gives +2 culture which is easy to miss as it will always give oyu a monopoly, making it a lot better than it seems.

Polynesia- The moai wants two hex wide costal areas so you can really go wild building huge numbers of them all next to each other. So where they want to settle cities is a bit different to other. It is also helpful to know if the map you are using will generate island off the coast or not.

Mongolia/zulu/other - +movement is pretty much the most powerful combat boost and having lots of units with it make war a lot easier

Celt/Aztec - you can get a patheon without a shrine by killing barbs, which can speed things up a lot

3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Simplest

My pick would be Ethiopia. Ethiopia is very simple, they have an incredible UB that just jump starts everything in the game. Its fire and forget, and none of their abilities are complex or require too much synergistic play.

Second choice might be Poland. Poland is always decent even if you aren't that good a player, and covers your culture so you are always world wonder competitive even if you are struggling in general.

Advanced

Japan - Bonuses rely on somewhat unorthodox styles (focus on defensive buildings at unusual timings). The Samurai is powerful, but requires a lot of really good tactical play to get strong use out of.

Persia - Again, unorthodox combination of warfare and economic bonuses, requires good timing with GAs for maximum war benefits. Immortals are powerful but require a lot of patience, and understanding how to win with a nice slow push.

Netherlands - You have to really understand deal making to get the most out of the Netherlands, its easy to be weak with them early if you are not maximizing your advantage. Sea Beggar is really good but requires a good knowledge of naval combat to maximize benefits.

4. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

Rome is the best civilization for beginners IMO. I suppose the only thing you need to have advanced knowledge of is how to secure iron. Legions just make a very well rounded unit because they get FREE Cover I/II Sometimes one of the more difficult thing for beginners to deal with is ranged units and how well the new AI uses them. Getting these free promotions pretty much buffs you against these units and then you use your XP towards the other promotions. Coliseums should help keep your culture level on par with everyone else and when you do start dabbling with war, coliseums will churn out great generals and keep you golden aging. Also, retaining all of the buildings (unique ability) will make it much easier for beginners to control the city.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  5. Melchizedek

Melchizedek Prince

I think Babylon is easy especially on lower difficulties. All you've gotta do is beeline writing, settle an academy, then get construction and build your unique walls. After that, get as much gold as you can and spend almost all of it on rushing buildings. Their UU makes defense particularly easy because indirect fire is a great way to keep new players from struggling tactically in forested or hilly terrain. So you can get yourself in good shape with Babylon using some rules of thumb and no complicated optimization.

6. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

I would have picked Carthage for beginners.

The starting City bonus gives an instant boost to the early game to jump off in any direction you like, and the power use of the UU is obvious.

I think the hardest would be Iroquois because even the best of us are never sure what to do with him. =D

Bromar1 and Drakle like this.
  7. anl93

anl93 Warlord

I think India is easy,
    Free pantheon at start and you can tailor your gameplay any way you want as you shape your religion.
    Also their UU is a great passive get bigger cities without troubles.

Zuizgond likes this.
  8. ChefBRD

ChefBRD Chieftain

Yea, I'd agree with the above, any civ that mostly offers bonuses to things you're always doing or really mainlines you into a certain strategy is going to be good for a beginner. Rome, Carthage, Maya, Babylon, Ethiopia, although those last three definitely get harder on higher difficulties.

Then the ones that make certain parts of the early/ early-mid way easier, like India, Celts, Egypt, Polynesia on wet maps, are nice crutch too.

But I'd really recommend beginners try out civs with an early power spike, especially UU, to see how much kicking ass early helps all playstyles in later eras. Askia and Attila (and Celts, Rome, and Carthage again) taught me I should be playing 1-2 difficulties up from where I was.

The very specific playstyles civs and those with very late uniques will be much more frustrating until you have the ropes and have seen how to manage the earlier eras well. But don't wait too long to try Denmark. He's fun af.

9. Bruhmoment

Bruhmoment Warlord

Ironically, I think the Iroquois are easier to play, just play wide and settle lots of forest cities, get very nice yields!

10. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

Which brings up the point that the mod is so well balanced there really isn't a universal "beginner civ." Each civ still has a bit of its own unique play style.

In all honesty you just pick the civilization that looks fun and interesting to you and then find a DIFFICULTY SETTING you prefer.

Ragic likes this.
  11. Bruhmoment

Bruhmoment Warlord

Depends if he's a COMPETE newbie (literally new to civ 5, not vp), or new to this mod. Then obviously there's better civs, but after playing a few civs iroquois seems good.

Bryan317 likes this.
  12. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

Yeah I suppose you're right. It's much easier to point out which civs beginners should NOT use lol. But even that list is getting short... Still looking at you America.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  13. Bruhmoment

Bruhmoment Warlord

They thought America was so strong they nerfed it into the ground. I remember fondly as America I settled crap ton of cities, bought lots of land, (btw, production counts towards wonders) and wonderwhored. Very nice. Can't really do that as good right now

14. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

From my point of view the militaristic civs can be much stronger in the hands of experienced players, particularly those who are into strategy and positioning. I've heard people describe situations here that I find go way over my head even as someone who has played Civ a lot. So I got the impression that war is something that for high-level players is a very powerful tool.

tu_79 and Melchizedek like this.
  15. Gizmoman

Gizmoman Warlord

Depends on if you mean easy to win or easy to survive.

I'd say one of the best civs for survival is Shoshone, you get a bonus in your own territory, you get an early UI that helps a bit with defense and doesn't really take any planning to set up.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  16. bahamut19

bahamut19 Chieftain

Since many players view either Military or Scientific prowess as being key to most victories (not all of course), I would offer Assyria for beginners. The UB and UA offer a nice synergy between getting great works and extra science. +5 science libraries? Amazing! 20% science during Golden Ages? Give me some of those beakers. And then, if all of that science is not enough to get you going quickly enough, guess what? You can just go to war, take a city, and get a free tech or more science. You have a UU which will help your entire army take those cities for most of the game if you keep them alive.

I love Assyria as a civ if you are wanting players to learn the value of Great Works and have a chance to practice war without necessarily having to focus on domination. It's a perfect blend between the 2 pathways.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    James Ryle and stii like this.
  17. looorg

looorg Prince

If you are just learning the game then does it matter? You should then pick the most bland and basic civ to learn the basics of the game and how things work. If anything the more appropriate question is probably which civs should you absolutely stay away from if you are a beginner (ie all the once that do things in a quirky way sort of). It might not be great for a beginner to start out playing say Venice or civs that depend a lot on a specific geography setting to get the most out of their buildings and units.

It seems most here are suggesting that beginners should play OP civs or once that have a strong early bonus. I'm less sure about that suggestion in general. They might not have grasped the basics of the games to take advantage of it. It might in that regard be a lot better to have a strong mid-game. You built up and survived and now you can then strike out sort of. In the beginning it's more like fend off some barbarians and slowly grow your empire and not LETS CONQUER THE WORLD!

Personally I still think the Aztecs are the best defined civ but it's a bit quirky. But it's very straight forward in some regard. Kill and Grow, repeat. Problem is that it's a very early rush and if you don't rush then you sort of wasted it all and you learn things that are not suitable perhaps for other civs since they don't give the rewards for the same playstyle.

18. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

Disagree because of the reason you outlined in the second half there. Aztecs are very timing based in that you should really rush early to get the best out of them. A few versions ago I even abused declare war - kill a CS unit - make peace to 1. Get kills towards eagles and 2. Get easier tributes. Very exploity/gamey but I love things like that.

19. looorg

looorg Prince

I was not suggesting it was a good choice for a beginner civ, almost the contrary since it is strong start specific but if you dont use it then it is kind of wasted. It was more like that I overall like it as a civ. Also with 34uc you need to keep track of kills for the unit upgrade etc.

Heinz_Guderian likes this.
  20. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

Sorry I might have misread that lol

JamesNinelives likes this.