Which civs are the most fun to play?

Which civs are the most fun to play for you personally?

• America

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Arabia

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • Australia

Votes: 32 29.4%
  • Aztec

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Brazil

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • China

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Egypt

• England

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • France

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Germany

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Greece/Pericles

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Greece/Gorgo

• India

• Japan

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Kongo

• Macedon

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Norway

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Persia

• Poland

• Rome

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Russia

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Scythia

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • Spain

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Sumer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Siptah

Eternal Chieftain
Simple question. Which civs are the most fun to play for you personally? 3 choices allowed. Doesn't have to mean that this civ is the best or the civ you are best with. I included Macedon and Persia as well, despite no one played them yet - votes are open to be changed later.

Haven't played all yet, so I might be missing some fun. Of those that I played Rome is really fun with the instant monument and roads.
I have had a very nice game with Japan. I like their district bonuses (and even more the discount on some of them).
Gorgo gets culture from barbs but Sumeria and Aztecs compete on that slot.

Aztecs Getting +17 Combat Strength from luxuries while having a huge empire full of districts with an insane number of trade routes beats anything in my opinion.

Aztec, because of that insane boost from luxuries;
France if I am looking for a culture victory; and
Poland (because, culture bomb)

Australia and England (water maps/exploration heavy is fun for me), and Aztec for when I feel like whomping around a bit. My most played civs lately are buffed Norway and Ramkhamhaeng/Siam from the Steam Workshop. Both are crazy fun - Siam allows you to play a level or two higher, easily.

I like civs that lean towards a Cultural Victory, and also civs with a unique approach to the District puzzle.
Here are my favorites:
America - I like its special interaction with National Parks
Australia - I like the vast spread of Outback Stations and Pastures and appeal bonuses
Brazil - I like its emphasis on Great People and its District puzzle
England - I love the huge Archaeological Museums
France - I like the bonus to Wonders, right in the era I start thinking about making Wonders
Germany - I like how the Hansa works differently than Industrial Zones
Japan - I like its district puzzle and that so many are discounted
Kongo - I like its Great People bonus and extra yields from various Great Works and the Mbanza
Poland - The Sukiennice makes Poland a raging constructor of Wonders
Russia - I like Russia's bonus to Great People

I can't really pick a best favorite.

For me, it's really Norway, Arabia and Australia in that order. Next would be Japan and Aztec. But I like most. Just a few ones feel too generic for me.
I'm a bit surprised by Australia's big lead though.
Also interesting that no one chose Sumer yet, I thought they would be rather popular.

I'm curious which civs will change with the first expansion.

Last edited:
Australia and England (water maps/exploration heavy is fun for me), and Aztec for when I feel like whomping around a bit. My most played civs lately are buffed Norway and Ramkhamhaeng/Siam from the Steam Workshop. Both are crazy fun - Siam allows you to play a level or two higher, easily.
I downloaded it, but my initial impression of Siam is they are very strong. Maybe a little too OP

I voted Arabia, Poland and England. I play probably 90% of my games as these civs

Not surprising top civs on this list are the most powerful ones. I consider Australia to be a very powerful Civ.

For me, it's really Norway, Arabia and Australia in that order. Next would be Japan and Aztec. But I like most. Just a few ones feel too generic for me.
Also interesting that no one chose Sumer yet, I thought they would be rather popular.

I'm curious which civs will change with the first expansion.

I just absolutely love Australia's Outback Stations. They look as awesome as they are strong, with the fences and everything.

Australia was my first choice because the outback stations and appeal based district bonuses gives unique decisions about district and improvement placement. Though the -2 appeal from mines can be frustrating.
I like the appeal bonus so much that I would like to see an appeal bonus apply to all theater districts ( maybe +2 for breathtaking) or be used in some other way besides resorts and neighborhoods.

Three was hard to choose, there's a lot I like. And I haven't actually gone a full game with Australia yet, so I feel unfair ranking them at this point. Though I like a lot about them.

Aztecs are a lot of fun, just taking captives as builders in early war is very satisfying.

I like Russia for expansionist religious or cultural game.

Kongo is interesting to play in that it really pushes me into cultural districts early unlike other Civs.

I like Norway's early coast pillaging (in single player obviously), and there rapid landing. Berserkers and stave church are both as weak as claimed though.

Brazil has same crazy adjacency bonuses with rainforest (+6 campuses, +7 commercial districts, +12 holy districts with the right pantheon) tho that's probably going to be out classed by Australia who are much more flexible in that regard now. Their carnival district/project combo is a little meh to me tho.

Germany and their Hanza is solid for pure production output.

My favorite civ at the moment is India. I've always liked civs encourage creative manipulation of the religious mechanics (my favorites in Civ V are Indonesia and Sweden) and civs that excel at "tall" play, and India is great on both counts. I also voted for China, as the wonder bonus can be quite fun to play with and for Germany, as the civ that best counteracts the current imbalance between production and science/culture.

I'm amused to see that both Persia and Macedon have votes, as unless we have undercover developers here, no one's actually had the chance to play them yet.

Mine are based on Gedemon's Giant Earth ludicrous size.
(Anything smaller is like playing 3x3 tic-tac-toe, or Civ4.)

Australia and Japan - Because I like to be left alone for a while at the start.
China - Solid bonuses and a great starting position.

Australia is all about the appeal puzzle( and of course goading enemies into declaring war for the sweet producution bonus :) ). Which is very fun for the puzzle/builder in all of us . In my current game i have a 4sided district triangle composed of 3 cities Commerce district and Harbors, 2 Theatre Districts, 1 Holy Site and a Wonder all (xcept 4 harbor obviously) are getting + 4 adjacency yields from appeal. One Commerce district is getting 14 gpt before social policies without a river( Double Harbor, Quad District, Breathtaking appeal). Maximising both Adjacency and appeal is fun :)

This poll will not be particularly accurate because almost nobody has played Macedon or Persia yet.

That said, I voted for Arabia, Russia, and Sumer. Arabia can be a lot of fun to play around with given their science bonuses and crazy synergies. Mamaluks are one of the most fun units to play around with in the game. Russia is always a fun civ to step up to a higher difficulty level and play due to their advantages from being behind, and they really channel the Shoshone in terms of being able to gob up land really fast. Also fun is the Lavra, maybe my favorite unique district in the game. Sumeria is fun because like in Civ 4, you have this madcap early game with them where you can just go wild.

This poll will not be particularly accurate because almost nobody has played Macedon or Persia yet.
Yes, sure. Persia and Macedonia are not competing on fair ground here. Still interesting to see what people pick and not pick. And I think it shows which civs were created good by Firaxis, and which lack some things to make them fun to play. No surprise that with Egypt and America two rather generic civs are lagging behind. And Spain, while being able to do some interesting tricks, often can't do them.

I went with Australia, Arabia, and Sumer. Aztecs are runner up but they are a little too overpowered I think. Australia is super fun - spamming outbacks can get a little tedious but the extra production is great and I love the 20 turn production boost for liberating cities - I try to make it a focal point of my strategy. Arabia is great because I don't have to worry about tanking my early game to found a religion and they have great synergy with faith and science plus their UU makes domination a great option as well. Sumer for all out early wars - I gravitate towards domination and they are the best.

Russia is my fav. I'm a child of the cold war. Ivan Drago and Red October and all that. I have much respect.

(edit: "Oppulence. I haz it.")

France I like when I'm in the mood for a quiet underdog.

Germany when I'm feeling indusrial. Egypt when I want to paint.

Cyrus is shiny and new and I like the speed boost, and building unique improvements is always fun. He can be a naval powerhouse.

Victoria if I want to build a global empire.

Three of my favs are still missing - Austria, Carthage, and... Theodora!

Last edited:
With only 3 possible answers, it's a tough choice. But one can never go wrong with Rome, Aztecs and Russia.

Rome is awesome no matter where you want to take them (religion may be an exception)
Aztec is great if you feel a bit bloodthirsty and enjoys popping those Builders for a well-developed early empire.
Russia has a great religious and cultural game, so they're my pick when I want to be more peaceful

Not played the new expansion yet, nor tried the new changes. I look forward to try England again.

Top Bottom