• The Nineties (1990-99)

Votes: 1,273 21.1%
  • The 2000s (2000-2009)

Votes: 68 1.1%
  • The 2010s (2010-2019)

Votes: 3 0.0%

• Total voters
January of 1990, almost on the line

Played Civ II with my dad growing up and it really helped me in history class :p

Civ 5 is literally the sole reason for my newfound passion in history. I think that's why I champion geographical diversity - when I found out Songhai was in Civ 5 I read up a lot about them, and learned about a new culture I would have otherwise never experienced. Same with Polynesia. I knew zilch about them until Civ 5 got me into them, then I started reading Polynesia history books from my local library

This is why I'm proud Indonesia made it. Even if it's just a small handful of people, if they are anything like me they will read up on the Civilopedia, and perhaps even further look into the nation on a deeper and more sophisticated level in their own time.

Video games should be fun above all. But for me Civ has captured this sweet spot that has tickled my hunger for history beyond the game itself

I didn't expect a great # of those born in the 2000s, but surprised to see only 25 of them. Really?

Do kids that age not play these types of video games?

You're aware that the oldest people born in the 2000s are 13 years old and that to register on this forum you need to be 13 right?

You're aware that the oldest people born in the 2000s are 13 years old and that to register on this forum you need to be 13 right?

Will i get banned if i made a different account when I was six, not knowing what i was doing, but wanting to know more about my new favorite game, civ 4? :p

Will i get banned if i made a different account when I was six, not knowing what i was doing, but wanting to know more about my new favorite game, civ 4? :p
Only if you admit to it. Shhhhhhhhh

Bless you younger members, but I really question your sensibility to publicly admitting to being 14 or under, if you want to be taken seriously. :D

Not if you maintain plausible deniability.

Civ 5 is literally the sole reason for my newfound passion in history. I think that's why I champion geographical diversity - when I found out Songhai was in Civ 5 I read up a lot about them, and learned about a new culture I would have otherwise never experienced. Same with Polynesia. I knew zilch about them until Civ 5 got me into them, then I started reading Polynesia history books from my local library

This is why I'm proud Indonesia made it. Even if it's just a small handful of people, if they are anything like me they will read up on the Civilopedia, and perhaps even further look into the nation on a deeper and more sophisticated level in their own time.

Video games should be fun above all. But for me Civ has captured this sweet spot that has tickled my hunger for history beyond the game itself

Exactly! I love the Civlopedia in between matches... I was excited to see Indonesia included for that very reason: I know very little about them for having such a high proportion of the world's population.

So there's one for your handful :king:

1990!!!

Since I have already commented that I am retired, I will have to own up to being born in 1947. :):)

Joined in 2005 but never really used it until the interest in BNW started up. Now trying figure out how to spread my time between playing Civ V and watching the forums. :sad:

Born in '83

Civ 4 was my first real foray into the series although I have played a game or two of the older civs when I was younger (I was the first kid on my block with a Windows PC back in the day :D... lol Pentium 133/Win95)

This poll is so age-ist, I was born in the 2010s.

No, just kidding. 1994 here, and my first Civ game was Civ 3. My parents got me the complete edition, me and my sister loved playing it. Granted, I was pretty young and awful at the game, but my sister (as I remember) was really good at it. Regardless, I loved the game. I loved the little things just as much as the big things. I loved how, when/if you won, the enemy leaderheads would be all beaten up and congratulate you, or just whine. I also loved how the leaderheads changed with each era; in the beginning Washington would be dressed like a caveman, but as the eras progressed he and his backdrop would change to fit the time. I loved being able to build and customize a big palace, and I loved zooming into an aerial view of my cities.

When Civ 4 came out I got it right away, and played it just as much. I had gotten much better since Civ 3, though I did play this one less. I simply did not have enough time to go all out on it. Though I do remember loving the game, and, again, it's little features. I loved how I could zoom out to the globe view, that just looked awesome.

I ended up losing my disks to Civ 3 and Civ 4 (And the unusable disk of Civ 2 that I had) because, well, they're disks. When Civ 5 came out I didn't get it right away. By then I was too busy for it, and there were some other games I was playing. I only ended up getting it last summer during the steam sale. It was funny, actually, I ended up accidentally buying the Civ 4 complete edition. I told customer service minutes later, and they said they would refund the item into my steam credits and remove the item. However, the reply from them was too late and by the time I read it it was too late to take that option. However, it seems that my paypal account never did have the funds subtracted for the game.

Anyway, since then I've been playing Civ 5/GnK and have had Civ 4 and all it's DLC just sitting in my steam library, uninstalled. I very much do like Civ 5, and it fixed a lot of the things that bugged me in previous Civ games. The hex tiles, for instance, feel much more fluid than squares, and combat is actually worth partaking in, now that it's not just mindless bashing together two big towers of doom. Though I do miss era specific leaderheads and the globe view...

I'd have to go with the 80's. Many people older than that never seriously got into computer games (although there are exceptions, especially for 70's people). People younger than the 80's are too young to remember the old versions of civ, and many 90's and 2000's people never got into civ at all.

1983. My oldest brother is computer scientist (born 1967) so I knew CivI quite early in my life. Looks like we, the lost childs of 80's, are the baby boomers of Civ... It's a great generation btw.

1983. My oldest brother is computer scientist (born 1967) so I knew CivI quite early in my life. Looks like we, the lost childs of 80's, are the baby boomers of Civ... It's a great generation btw.

I think it's because our formative years were during the time when Civ was one of the only options for that type of game. I was born in '82, and grew up playing the Civ and Age of Empires games, which I partially blame for having gone into history as a profession. I think most people into urban planning about our age can blame it on Sim City 2000. :)

Another 80's guy here! (born in the Orwell's year)

Born in 2000. I've only played Civ IV and V...

I regret choosing this username a few years ago...

Moderator Action: You can send a pm to any of the CFC admins and request a name change. :)

Since I have already commented that I am retired, I will have to own up to being born in 1947. :):)

Joined in 2005 but never really used it until the interest in BNW started up. Now trying figure out how to spread my time between playing Civ V and watching the forums. :sad:
"Hello!" from another :old:

do what I do, open it up in your Steam in-game browser and enjoy the best of both worlds! :D

Top Bottom