Votes: 2,357 39.0%
  • The Nineties (1990-99)

Votes: 1,273 21.1%
  • The 2000s (2000-2009)

Votes: 68 1.1%
  • The 2010s (2010-2019)

Votes: 3 0.0%

• Total voters
Nineties!, First played Civ II, then Civ III... Forgot about Civ for a huge while, and then Civ V just recently... I'm from 1991, so 2 years earlier I would have been Eighties hehe...

Rise up Children of the 80's!!!

Played Civ since the original... I remember we were like OMG HOW AMAZING IS THAT INTRO VIDEO!!
Wow I feel old...

I think it's because our formative years were during the time when Civ was one of the only options for that type of game. I was born in '82, and grew up playing the Civ and Age of Empires games, which I partially blame for having gone into history as a profession. I think most people into urban planning about our age can blame it on Sim City 2000. :)

I must admit... All the aforementioned games define my childhood. Add every other Maxis game, too. Civ def stole my time as I got older, though. My double-major at university.. Portuguese and Civil Engineering (historical linguistics thanks to Civ, transportation and urban design thanks to SimCity). I feel like you read into my life story. I'm touched. :king:

'93 here, played since a friend gave me his Civ III disc, telling me he didn't want to play this stupid complicated slow game his parents got him.

And boy am I ever thankful for his terrible taste. :D

This poll is outdated, I was born in 2010 and can't vote.

The Fifties, here, too.

(And I fixed the poll dates. ;) )

Born in the fifties, served in the USAF. Sounds like you might have been in Vietnam. Thanks for your service either way.

Great to see previous generations (typically not thought of as gamers) here along with us. Having been born in the 90's, gaming seems to be a thing we pass up to our fathers and grandfathers instead of down to our sons and grandsons.

Also, my fellow 90's crowd, let's take over the thread with our music.

Moderator Action: Please do not post anything that is nsfw in the game threads.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

1956 here. Being around all you whippersnappers keeps me feeling young. My son is from the 80's. I wish I could get him into playing the game. He's into the WoW, and racing games. He says Civ's too complicated.
I was always the computer nut in the family, so we got a lot of games and consoles and stuff. Played around with Civ and Civ2, but when Civ3 came out, I was hooked. The graphics blew me away, and the depth of the game. I no longer thought of video games as children's toys. Civ is the only game I play now.

1956 here. Being around all you whippersnappers keeps me feeling young. My son is from the 80's. I wish I could get him into playing the game. He's into the WoW, and racing games. He says Civ's too complicated.
I was always the computer nut in the family, so we got a lot of games and consoles and stuff. Played around with Civ and Civ2, but when Civ3 came out, I was hooked. The graphics blew me away, and the depth of the game. I no longer thought of video games as children's toys. Civ is the only game I play now.

I'm the reverse situation, my dad is 1949 and while I think he would like Civ he just doesn't play games.

I must admit... All the aforementioned games define my childhood. Add every other Maxis game, too. Civ def stole my time as I got older, though. My double-major at university.. Portuguese and Civil Engineering (historical linguistics thanks to Civ, transportation and urban design thanks to SimCity). I feel like you read into my life story. I'm touched. :king:

Aw, yay.

The degree to which video games shaped our childhoods is interesting. I got into Civ having played Age of Empires and Caesar II in middle school alongside SC2K, now my gaming time is divided between Sim City 4 (gotta love the new NAM 31.1), Tropico 4, Civ V, and I'm trying to learn EUIII, but it's ridiculously complex compared to Civ, IMO.

I think I just have a God complex. :egypt:

I'd love to see the perspective of some of the older people here on the series, since they lived through the early - mid 20th century.

That's a full 20 - 40 extra civ turns! :p

Born in 1970 - so I'm 43 years old.

Started playing Civ in 1999 when I was 29 with Civ 2 and have been playing ever since. I suppose you could call me a 'late bloomer'.

I've played all incarnations since Civ 2, including 'Test of Time' and the two 'Call to Power' titles. Never played Civ 1 or Alpha Centauri though.

I was born in 1993, but Civ V was my first Civ game. Although my brother played Civs 3-5 I liked watching him play them especially Civ III since leaders and advisors changed their appearance and that was a pretty fun thing for me. :D Unfortunately I never was interested in playing them myself :sad:, they looked quite loong and boring. I was more interested in RTS-es back then. Then in 2010 Civ V got announced and I was very interested to try it out, and I am glad I did ;). I fell in love with the game and couldn't stop playing even now 3 years later, games that keep me that long are really rare and far between. Then eventually I realised that strategy games are truly the only genre where you can have the true freedom of choice (right in to the action and play them how you want), something that numerous Open-world gamers will hardly understand thinking that those games offer the most freedom. Soon I also started playing Paradox's games as well. I am really happy that these last few years I realised that strategy games (and fighting games ;)) are the only games that can never become boring no matter how long you play them, too bad that they are very rare these days. :(

'95 here! My first civ was civII Test of Time I found at a used bookstore. Never had the money for the current editions until recently so I played lots of civ2 through my middle school and a bit of civ4 in high school. Now civ5 is my game and hopefully it doesn't impact my college work!:mischief:

my first civ game was on xbox. civ revolution.(i was looking for i game like this) but that made me interestet in the civ game on pc so now i have played civ 5 almoust 3000 hours. its crazy hehe never played so mutch in my life and still play it. best game am a 87 model and stuck in civ 5 hah

78 here. So I'm way more a kid from the 80's than the 70's. Found Civ 1 in 199-something installed on the hard drive of my job's computer, on a secret "directory", as folders were called back then. The first Civ I bought and played at home was 3.

I wonder if the people who are from the thirties are still... alive?.

Top Bottom