Votes: 2,357 39.0%
  • The Nineties (1990-99)

Votes: 1,273 21.1%
  • The 2000s (2000-2009)

Votes: 68 1.1%
  • The 2010s (2010-2019)

Votes: 3 0.0%

• Total voters
I wonder if anyone clicked "the thirties" thinking it meant THEY were in their thirties. I'd be surprised at that many senior citizens playing Civ!
What about those who clicked "The 2010s"? I seriously doubt that kindergarteners and preschoolers would bother registering on CivFanatics, so they're more likely as a joke (though that may change for Civ VII and later).

Over 200 people born in the 50's. I couldn't imagine my Dad playing video games. :p
Those of us who were born in the late 40s and early 50s and who were raised on and enjoyed board games and wargames in the 1960s, 70s and 80s quickly adapted to the early computer games of the late 80s and early 90s. I started playing primitive strategic games in the late 1980s when I was in my 30s. I haven't had any reason to stop.

Those of us who were born in the late 40s and early 50s and who were raised on and enjoyed board games and wargames in the 1960s, 70s and 80s quickly adapted to the early computer games of the late 80s and early 90s. I started playing primitive strategic games in the late 1980s when I was in my 30s. I haven't had any reason to stop.

Even though my Dad was the type to spend his free time in the garage he definitely wasn't afraid of technology. He bought a VCR and a CD player when they hit the market. He also bought me an Atari 2600 and an Apple II when I was a kid. He was even on the internet in the late 90's before it was a big thing. But I have no recollection of him playing a video game.

When arthritis makes games like Diablo, StarCraft and STGs impossible, there will always be TBS. I'll be playing well into my 70s if dementia doesn't get me first.

My dad also loved board games and migrated to computer games in the 80s. He's played Civ III, IV, and V. But now he never gets the laptop out (any game he now plays is on the tablet and that particular machine would have had trouble with the BNW expansion in the modern era), and even that has gone down; he spends a bunch more time watching old Western TV shows & movies than he used to.

I quickly went to computer strategy games; and discovered Civ II in a store shortly after college. (While in college, I did see somebody playing Civ I once; but he only had a monochrome monitor and he only showed from 4000 BC to failing the first quiz question.)

Born in 1996, I feel really young when looking at this poll.

1956 - Plenty of time to play, just for the enjoyment. As I got older (with mortality creeping up to eventually bite me on the arse) I decided to just get on with it and enjoy the games (I through to V). I am thankful to those of you who have written mods and have taken the time to analyse and post, you have made it easier for me to enjoy V.

1973 here and I have been playing since Civ III. Love it. I clearly see myself playing the future releases well into my later years. I hope they keep making them.

I'm in the early 80's cohort. Makes perfect sense to me, games have been much more "normal" for us and as we get older something like Civ is far more our pace.

I’ve been watching all the First Look videos with my soon-to-be 5 year old daughter. She’s expressing a passing interest and always asks who the people are. She even shouts out “Montezuma” when she sees him at the end of each video. I’m not sure if it’s a bad thing, but she really loved the 10 minute video of nothing but late-game warfare (although she kept calling nukes, “tukes,” and then asking me how to pronounce it). Maybe when Civ 6 comes out I’ll see if she’s interested in starting her own game (with me there to do the reading for her). Who knows, maybe someday we can add another member to the 2010’s decade :please:

1981 here, I play this game from Civ I through II/III/IV/V and now will play six part of grate game, that give so much joy.

1981 here, I play this game from Civ I through II/III/IV/V and now will play six part of grate game, that give so much joy.

Same, too bad I can't say the same for Masters of Orion. That franchise deserved to have been continued as Civ did. Maybe the new one can catch up to where it should be once those devs get their feet under them.

Top Bottom