1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which DLC at full price?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by WillowBrook, Nov 1, 2017.

1. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I've been holding out for a 50% off sale to buy the DLC, but I'm getting impatient and considering buying one or two at full price.

But which one(s)?

For those of you with all the DLC, which do you think add the most interesting additional content? I'm an achievement hunter, so I'm curious about the scenarios as well.

2. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I'm a bit surprised that there wasn't a healthy discount on some of the older DLCs during the recent Steam sale.
    As far as DLC content goes, I'm a bit biased so I'd choose the Australia pack (I live in Tasmania). Either of the double Civ packs should be pretty reasonable bang for your buck though. That's Persia + Macedon and the newest one, Khmer + Indonesia.

WillowBrook likes this.
  3. Peserwin

Peserwin Chieftain

I would choose:

1. Indonesia & Khmer because especially the former opens up a whole new gameplay.

2. Australia because I like them pastures and the chance to build Petra combined with urulu NW. They are also a somewhat capable AI, which brings me to the Persia & Macedon pack. Especially Macedonia is a warmonger civ but the AI is just incapable of waging war, so I would skip this pack.

3. Nubia, it's just one civ but I like it: OP early unit plus fast district construction.

WillowBrook likes this.
  4. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

I never do scenarios so can't comment on that. But as a player that likes empire building each dlc had a civ that goes well with my playstyle, especially Nubia.
    But also Poland because of their boost to both internal and external traderoutes. Persia's boost to internal traderoutes and a nice "puzzle" unique improvement. Australia, Khmer and Indonesia also have their thingies.
    Frankly the only one I don't like is Macedonia: too one dimensional to play and annoying to play against as well. I want to punch Alexander every time he shows his face, even when he likes me. :nono:

WillowBrook likes this.
  5. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Nubia DLC and the scenario is great. I also find Macedon and Persia DLC to be good addition.

WillowBrook likes this.
  6. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

If you can bear to hold out til Christmas there may be reductions, especially given Poland and the Viking pack will be a year old at that stage.

If you can't: as far as the civs, it's early days but I personally believe the latest pack (Indonesia + Khmer) adds the most interesting new civs, in terms of play style and geographic/cultural novelty. As far as scenarios, the Gifts of the Nile is my personal favourite, although I find Nubia's straightforwardly overpowered design less appealing to play as.

So if I'm only to recommend one, it's Indonesia/Khmer, which also isn't likely to be discounted any time soon.

WillowBrook likes this.
  7. jozef57

jozef57 Warlord

simply i bought them all and love them all but in deed the last one indonesia/ khmer the most indeed it add very good things to the game in overall gameplay too, the religion overhaul is great the use of the seas and aceans too although this could be much more i feel

WillowBrook likes this.
  8. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

Whatever civ you want to play. Everyone will have a different opinion. But if i had to take a pick, it would also most likely have been Indonesia + Khmer. Also, it will most likely take longer before they will be on sale.

WillowBrook likes this.
  9. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Just in terms of scenarios, I think I enjoyed the Vikings scenario notably more than any of the others. That said, it's probably not the one pack I would recommend you get.

WillowBrook likes this.
  10. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

The Vikings pack is somewhat underrated in my opinion, the scenario is good and the new city states and natural wonders will appear in your game more frequently than any one new civ.

However, it's very hard to recommend as the only DLC you buy, as without a new civ it's a less immediately exciting prospect. I also feel it's one of the more likely DLCs to get a discount in the near future.

WillowBrook, bbbt and DWilson like this.
  11. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I'm hoping that the older DLC will go on sale for either the Autumn or Winter sales. I think I can hold out that long...

WillowBrook likes this.
  12. bbbt

bbbt Deity

The viking scenario is a lot of fun, and the city states especially are great additions. It was definitely the biggest casualty steam-review wise in the flurry of negative reviews fallout from digital deluxe/dlc-pricing complaints (I don't think there are actually any negative reviews on any of the DLC actually relating to stand-alone content of the DLC).

Having said that, I'd agree it's hard to recommend for the reasons you stated. I'd also say, I enjoyed it 'less' (or at least got less replayability out of it) than the DLC scenario+wonders-sans-Civ equivalent in Civ 5: Wonders of the Ancient World

WillowBrook likes this.
  13. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

As the latest DLC's price drop is furthest away, I would purchase Khmer & Indonesia. Get the other ones at Black Friday sale or at Christmas. Additionally, both civs are really interesting.

WillowBrook likes this.
  14. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I like the Khmer/Indonesia DLC because of the Civs, but I haven't tried the scenario so far. I'm not a fan of the religious game, which the scenario is about.
    Nubia DLC is decent, I only played the scenario for a short time.
    Macedon/Persia DLC is ok. I'm not a big fan of conquest scenarios and only Macedon is playable in that.
    Australia DLC is good. I found the scenario (which has no combat) to be fun. It's basically about the settlement of Australia, with competing states (New South Wales, Queensland, etc).
    Poland DLC is ok. The scenario is quite fun if you like to defend against barbarian units.
    Vikings Scenario DLC is ok. I found the scenario to be decent. I would hold off on buying it since it has no new Civ (only the scenario, new City-States, new Natural wonders).

I guess it depends on which Civ you are interested in playing the most.

WillowBrook likes this.
  15. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

Nubia was fantastic-- they are fun to play, and the scenario was pretty good.

I am in the same boat as you re: waiting on DLC sales for the rest. I would like yo pick up the Vikings, as I hear the new CSs and Natural Wonders are great additions. Khmer/Indonesia and Macedon/Persia are up there too. I have very little interest in Poland or Australia-- I personally would not pay retail for them, but to each his/her own.

WillowBrook likes this.
  16. KingCheops

KingCheops Chieftain

I've actually only got the Aztec (included) and Vikings pack. I like the Vikings scenario and I've found that the new NW and CS actually makes things a little more interesting despite not having any new Civs.

WillowBrook likes this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I didn't sign up for the DDE, so I have purchased all of the DLC a la carte. I like all of them so far. I think you will get the most bang for your buck if you buy the two double civ packs. The other single civ packs are pretty equal in value, give or take personal tastes in selection. Some people are down on the Viking pack, but I like it. Adding city-states and Natural Wonders makes the game more replayable for me.

WillowBrook likes this.
  18. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I frankly prefer the Khmer/Indonesia pack despite the scenario being my least favorite so far. The two civs are very potent and the leaders enjoyable to see on the screen. Nubia and Australia DLCs both come with strong civs and strong scenarios but I suspect one gets more value out of a two-civ combo pack (Khmer/Indonesia or Persia/Macedon).

Vikings are my least favorite DLC so far, scenario, city-states and natural wonders included (though the scenario is at least more interesting than the Nirvana scenario of the Khmer/Indonesia pack).

WillowBrook likes this.
  19. w3rallmachines

w3rallmachines Chieftain

Depends what you're interested in. Australia is arguably a top 3 civilization in the game, so if you want a very powerful one, I'd choose them (though they are not allowed in some multiplayer leagues if you do plan on playing much multiplayer). The viking scenario doesn't seem like much at first blush but it adds a lot of interesting city-states so I'd recommend getting it on a sale.

WillowBrook likes this.
  20. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

I'll vote for the Macedon/Persia pack, for the Conquests of Alexander scenario. That's probably my favorite (and certainly the most challenging) scenario to date, although Vikings, Raiders and Traders is also a lot of fun.

WillowBrook likes this.