Which do you find more annoying: Excessive ego or excessive humility?

Onionsoilder

Reaver
Pretty straightforward. There are some people who have a huge ego; they always believe themselves to be better than others, refuse to admit their mistakes, always find a way to pin the blame on others when something goes wrong, and generally consider themselves to be the best thing that ever happened to the world. On the flip side, there are those always feel inadequate, apologizing over and over and either making excuses or just blaming themselves for what went wrong, even when nobody is really at fault and it was a simple accident.

Which person do you find worse? Or do neither bother you?

I tend to apologize compulsively, so I'm used to that. Personally, I find that guys with big egos are more annoying.
Yeah, I do too... I had someone tell me recently to stop because it was annoying, which is partly why I made this thread.

I've been both, and I find both equally annoying both to live by and to observe in others.

I don't know if humility is the right word to use here. That sounds less like someone possessing the value of humility and more so someone who lacks any real self-esteem.

For me, I'd have to say it's the extreme 'humility.' Self-important jerks always end up eventually making asses of themselves somehow, and are therefore a source of great amusement. On the other hand, people on the opposite end of the spectrum grate on my nerves, but to say anything about it makes me feel like I've just kicked a puppy.

People with huge egos for me. Also, on a slightly related note the people that also try to one up you no matter what you say. I've seen people do this to an extent of near impossibility.
Granted, the latter does become humorous after a while.:lol:

On the flip side, there are those always feel inadequate, apologizing over and over and either making excuses or just blaming themselves for what went wrong, even when nobody is really at fault and it was a simple accident.
That's excessive ego too, thinking that they themselves are the cause of the world's problems.

I don't know if humility is the right word to use here. That sounds less like someone possessing the value of humility and more so someone who lacks any real self-esteem.

For me, I'd have to say it's the extreme 'humility.' Self-important jerks always end up eventually making asses of themselves somehow, and are therefore a source of great amusement. On the other hand, people on the opposite end of the spectrum grate on my nerves, but to say anything about it makes me feel like I've just kicked a puppy.

I'm not so sure. Very self-important people make fools of themselves in other people's minds as soon as they open their mouths, but are frequently never persuaded that they were the ones at fault.
When you can't communicate with someone, because he knows that he's right and won't even listen to an argument you present, it's far more annoying than someone who needs a little persuasion to accept that he could be right. People who don't listen and live in a world of their own seem more like obstacles to deal with, rather than actual humans.

The ego one is less useful to me.

That's excessive ego too, thinking that they themselves are the cause of the world's problems.

I'd say it's self-centerness not excessive ego. Semantics I suppose.

I have to go with excessive ego as you see more of those types of people. I don't see too many people with excessive humility. I can be like that at times, but I've learned not to do that. When I was younger I used to think I wasn't worthwhile and had low self esteem. But as I've gotten older, my self esteem has went up. Sometimes it gets too high and I get arrogant. It's hard to keep it under control.

I tolerate excessive ego, only when that ego matches the people's capacity.

In general both excessive and excessive humility are annoying.
The first usually sounds stupid, the second hypocritical

People who do both make me want to introduce their faces to baseball bats. Repeatedly. :)

Excessive ego is worse, unless you count as humility those who insist that their good works are purely the work of God. I would count these people as more egotistical than humble.

Excessive ego is worse, unless you count as humility those who insist that their good works are purely the work of God. I would count these people as more egotistical than humble.

"Too much humility is the worst kind of arrogance".

Top Bottom