1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which early game barbarian unit do you hate the most?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Furin, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Brugarin

Brugarin Warlord

Spiders and gryphons make fine pets, but spiders are easier to hunt, in my opinion.

2. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Giants all the way. A Scout can very well survive vs a griffon and vs a spider or even vs a bear if it has many promotions, but never vs Giants, and they even spot you from afar.

3. Jabie

Jabie Wanted in Monte Carlo...

Barbatos... Thankfully he's gone the way of the fix-pack.

4. jacomanring

jacomanring Chieftain

Griffons all the way. though bosses spawned from lairs are quite painful too...

5. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

I've captured spiders before and found them useful forest guardians in those out-of-the way places. Their hidden status help 'em surprise the unwary intruder.

I've never captured a griffin, don't know if they can be captured. If they could be, I'd look forward to seeing what use they could be: scouts? sentinels? coastguards?

6. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

Griffins can be captured. Captured my first one ever just yesterday. I'd say they make excellent scouts, because they can fly. Got killed by a Sea Serpent, though. :(

7. zup

zup Emperor

Spectres. They are weak, but fast, can pillage and cannot be dealt with by combat 5, bronze warriors/axemen reliably. Anything else I could just spam full of cannon fodder, but fear makes spectres untouchable. More likely I'd just feed it (they have unit_combat, right?). I'll just have to hope I get lucky and the unit who was too scared to attack at 99.7% odds gets lucky just once. And then if the rng decided to play mean...

8. Breez

Breez King

Let me assure you that as of last night I know 1st hand that is 100% no longer true...

9. xaosseed

xaosseed Chieftain

Griffons - because spiders at least stick to the forest and you can sometimes figure out where they're lurking but griffons regularly jump out of mountains or over straits to chew on hapless scouts.

10. Jules.lt

Jules.lt Prince

I tend to assume that my scouts are going to die early, so the griffons/spiders/giants don't frighten me so much.
    The ones I really hate are the lizardmen, because there are loads of them and I so often miss the flat terrain that will allow them to use their 2:move: to capture my workers...

The most dangerous early game barbs apart from exploration results would be wraiths upgraded from spectres, imho.
    I once had one come around from its AI feeding ground at turn 50 or so, and it had 9 or 10 base :strength:, 2:move:, 4 stars from its experience and fear (which made it almost impossible to kill by spamming warriors).

It razed two of my cities before getting killed when attacking my capital. I'm pretty sure it had high chances to win and I got lucky.

11. DaleKing

DaleKing Chieftain

The early game barbarian unit I hate the most is the Scorpion clan archers.
    I already expect scouts to have a short shelf life. but early on, when all you have are warriors, the archer is stronger on attack if you don't have bronze and defensively, forget about it, especially when they're on a hill or a forest.
    so you gotta sacrifice 2-3 or more warriors for each archer that shows. plus they love to pillage. and they're everywhere!
    I'm actually relieved when the scorpion clan mounted units start to appear as they don't have terrain defense bonus and are easier to kill.

12. cvlowe

cvlowe King

I second that idea!

13. megamanx06

megamanx06 Caswallan

I was gonna say the gargoyles that come from the pristine pass, but i change my answer to this!

and I never build scouts. I build hunters when I get them.

14. SwordofStriker

SwordofStriker Prince

YES!!! The manticore is ungodly strong when all you have are scouts and warriors. :(

15. Kiwi Tyrant

Kiwi Tyrant Evil Jollification

If I can get a Scout with Subdue Animal promo and capture a Griffin (as early as possible), I'll immediately safely fly to the closest polar region and then proceed to fly it around the world; ending it's turn on ice tiles as often as possible to prevent being killed by unseen surprises. That often secures the '+1 move on water' bonus long before boats are even thought of.:goodjob:
    After that, it is used as a very valuable, killing scout.

16. Furin

Furin Warlord

IF my scout, and hunter is out of question there as it takes to long to get one, can pull that off before the clan does, I am always very happy :D

17. DioAurion

DioAurion Warlord

I hate spiders due to my unreliable playing schedule. I'll usually feed a spider that lurks just outside my borders until it is unstoppable. Then come back a to play a few days later, having forgotten completely about the spider, only to lose more units. And I rarely prioritize hunting so I have to waste production on more scouts just to combat them effectively.

18. popejubal

popejubal Emperor

Stupid, stupid spiders. :mad:

I actually like Griffins - I usually pick up Circumnavigation from a Griffin. :)

Also, Griffins can snipe at mages and other low strength units for the entire game. I've even sent them against cities on occasion.

19. Fenboy

Fenboy King

Don't worry about the i/o spelling too much, this is English. Spelling matters not, grammar matters not. Where do you think this is, France? I've seen it spelt "gryphin" before now.

20. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

Just because people mangle the language doesn't mean there's not a language there somewhere...