1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Early unit for city defense?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Pir Lan Tota, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Pir Lan Tota

Pir Lan Tota Warlord

Which early unit, assuming you have horses, Iron and copper available, would you pick for defending your cities.

1. Archer
    2. Spearmen
    3. Axemen
    4. Swordsmen
    5. Chariot
    6. Horsearcher

Personnally, I usually have spearmen in my cities. Mostly because axes can be rushed to easily by Chariots and culture defense gives them a shot at stopping swordsmen/axemen. Of course axes still make short work of them in most cases. Archers, I dont like at all.

2. TBT

TBT Chieftain

I prefer axeman because of their:
    - second to highest strength,
    - 50% bonus against melee units (usually I get invaded mainly with axeman, so sending swordsmen against them would mean loss),
    - early availability (if copper is within borders),
    - usability in counterattacks and casual invasions,
    - axeman result from upgrading my earliest warriors.

Very versatile unit. Invasions other than melee based happen to me rarely. So axeman is a good choice. I usually ultimately have 2 axeman and a swordsman in every non-capital city. The main army sits in the capital to sustain happiness under hereditary rule and protect the best developed city with most wonders. Archers are only used when I don't have access to copper/iron. But in that case I often restart^^.

3. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Axemen every time, until Bowmen come along.

4. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

Archers. They hold up well when promoted no matter what kind of unit is attacking and they are the least expensive of the bunch. Normally, I have a melee/mounted response force so when I am attacked I can reinforce the point of attack. The archers only need to hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive. Walls help to prolong bombardment and that or culture will give a high defensive bonus on top of native and promotion bonuses.

Plus, I'd rather have 3 archers instead of 2 axes given the vagarities of the random number generator. When you are outnumbered and defending getting a bad roll is a lot more painful than when you are the attacker. The extra defender helps since a bad roll will only take out 1/3 of your forces as opposed to 1/2.

5. Peepers

Peepers On the road again

Most definitely archers, for city defense. They're cheap of course, and designed for defending the city center. If I need "anti-pillagers" then I'll keep axes/spears/chariots around my cities (otherwise those units are ranging and collecting XP and pushing back the shroud.)

6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Archers for the 1st unit
    After that a spear usually
    Unless on a border that will do

7. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Archers for at least 2/3 of city defenders until you get Feudalism, and then Longbows for about 2/3 of city defenders. Go with the city garrison promo and walls and barracks in any vulnerable spot and the cheap little archers are a match for swordsmen. Depending on the situation, if your enemy has chariots early add a spearman or if he has a lot of swords add an axeman.

8. eewallace

eewallace King

1) archer
    2) axeman

The axeman does double-duty as second defender and also goes after any barbarian that strays into the city's fat cross

9. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

A combination of archers and axes works best for me, but spears may be worth including if your opponent is using horse archers.

10. theKurgen

theKurgen Warlord

If it's not a border or coastal city it doesn't matter, a spare warrior from the early game will do, after that I'm generally capturing cities and i'll whip out an archer in each new city so that my axes can all move on. Spearmen? No point building at all unless you're actually seeing chariots/horseman on the battlefield. No point at all in having more than one city defender in any city that's not directly at risk on the battlefront either. Why pay an extra unit cost for something that's doing nothing? You can always whip a spearmen in any city when one of those lone kamikaze horsemen come bolting in.

11. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Depends on who my neighbors are.
    Hatty - I will build spearmen.
    Huayna - I will build axemen.

But in general archers.

12. Nestorius

Nestorius Prince

Chariots are very effective as city guardians early game, at least in earlier patches when the AI would send hordes of barbarian axemen by 1800 bc.

13. Jedoc

Jedoc Warlord

I don't tend to go for early wars, so I try and have an archer in every city, with an axe and a spear in border cities. If my military pump has slots to spare, I'll add a chariot to border cities. That gives you a counter to every possible attacker in the Ancient era and boosts your power graph enough to keep all but the really rabid warmongers off your back. Once those are completed, I start cranking out swords and cats and storing them in my border cities until I decide to invade somebody.

If I've got a large empire and the Pyramids, it's not uncommon for my core cities to be defended by that same solitary archer right up until I upgrade him to Mech Infantry.

14. Quotey

Quotey Emperor

A warrior.

15. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Axes and spears (and warriors and chariots). I'll build longbows after feudalism.

16. jeffreyac

jeffreyac Mostly Harmless

I tend to go for spearmen, if copper is available - as a matter of fact, I'll only research archery if I first research bronze working and see that I don't have any metal - then I'll grab Archery and start defending with archers.

But, if copper is available, I'll build spearmen to defend and axes to attack/break up pillagers. Preferably attack... :)

17. Draknith

Draknith King

I will usually have archers in the city, but will incorporate divisions of units. Their make-up is usually 2 axe/1 spear/1 archer. I would rather have archers defend the cities since they do quite nicely against a small group of enemy soldiers. Since I send forces out to stop the invaders, there is hardly any riff-raff attacking my actual cities.

18. CivMcNut

CivMcNut Having Fun At It

City Garrison promoted archers do a fairly respectable job against barbs going for a city. Usually an unpromoted axeman will lose if the city's got a 20% cultural defense. So cities just in your empire but not near another civ, and that's cheap and easy to use. Near where the AI's have some troops I like the combined arms force of a chariot, spear, axeman, and archer, but usually try to make good and sure the counter troop to his/her main force is present first. So no one single troop is good on the borders in every game in my book, but archers are something I build every game for my cities away from the border.

19. JustinianVII

JustinianVII Prince

All of the above. Unless I play Carthage, I usually don't end up building many mounted soldiers until Guilds, though.

20. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

I do like having a second unit anyway, even in my interior cities. It lets me pull a defender from a city if needed elsewhere and helps increase my power rating.