1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Enterprise to Use?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by deanej, Feb 16, 2009.

?

Which Enterprise should be used?

1. Keep the original Enterprise from TOS

28 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Use the Enterprise from the next Star Trek movie

30 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. deanej

deanej Chieftain

EDIT: Since people coming to this thead think the question is still unsettled, I'm adding this not that the decision to stick with the origional Enterprise was made long, long ago.

EDIT2: The origional post has been moved in to the spoiler below, as people still think this is open (this is the LAST time I create a poll like this without using the expiration date feature...).

Spoiler :
    The USS Enterprise from the next Star Trek movie was just added at Bridge Commander Files. I believe I now know enough to convert it to civ and even animate it. The question is, should I replace the current Constitution model with this one?

2. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Can't you use the appropriate model as per time period?:confused:

3. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I believe that it is essentially the same time period, given that the new movie is a reimaging. For the purposes of the mod it would definitely be the same time period as I don't presently have any future scenarios planned for that time period.

Officially the new movie is an alternate timeline.

4. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Chieftain

I would wait until the Movie is out, because we do not really know what happens at the end , it could ( i do not think so) be that the original timline is correct.
    The most interressting fact about this what is with Q would he accept the timeline change?
    I hope they do not forget that he and the other Qs know everything about the "right" timeline and he could correct it.

5. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

I agree with Imrahiel: use the TOS Enterprise at least until the movie's out.

6. Orion Shadow

Orion Shadow Chieftain

Would it be possible to get a side by side picture of what both versions look like?

7. apenpaap

original:

8. deanej

deanej Chieftain

OK, I've cast a tie-breaker vote for "keep as is" (at least until later, I may post this question again for 3.0). I may add it in to the art defines for modders that may want to use it.

9. Ionopachys

Ionopachys Chieftain

Apenpaap, that is not the new model, but a fan made version. The new Enterprise can be seen here.

Keep the classic Constitution. The new version is ugly.

10. Majicman182

Majicman182 Chieftain

the new one looks like the Enterprise C class

11. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Chieftain

but i think Enterprise-C/ Ambassador class looks better

12. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

I am not much of a trekie, but I can't see any real diference betwen these 2 models.

13. apenpaap

I found picture which better compares them:

14. phungus420

phungus420 Chieftain

That original you are using is a refit.

15. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

One realy could not tell on those other two images as they were both taken from bad angles.
    Seeing them side by side, the one above is a little better. It just looks bulkier. The one below looks like it's been on a diet and it went horribly wrong.

16. Dave_Oz

Dave_Oz Chieftain

Use the new model, im sure they would of made the Enterprise from the series look like this, if they had the technology.

17. apenpaap

I doubt it, as all the proportions are wrong. Though they might indeed have used the shape of the nacelles and stuff.

18. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I'm not a trekkie (but I have seen TOS and pieceing my way through TNG, its the only sci-fi show I get thats not the Stargate junk[apologies to Stargate fans]) but I say keep the old Enterprise the one we all know and remember. (Especialy from the TOS title sequences when they couldn't decide should the back of the enterprise engines have a missle tube layout or a fully open layout.)

19. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Chieftain

I think it is not a question anymore which one to, because we know that the film officialy
    play in another univers. That means in a main mod with models from TNG,DS9 and VOY
    we can't use the new model, because it is from another timeline/universe. We just can use it in a special scenarion.

20. Dave_Oz

Dave_Oz Chieftain

Although its not completley related, they changed the look of the Klingons once they had the budget for it in the first Star Trek movie, and that's now canon.