1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which External HDD to get?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by SG-17, Sep 10, 2009.

1. SG-17

SG-17 Deity

2. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

I personally like Western Digital (I have had them go bad but WD is good about replacements- I actually have an internal 500 gigger on the way to me).

Are you looking to take this drive along with you in your laptop back or just sit at home? If take along I would go with the WD one that you linked to. If stay at home I would recommend the following Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB External Hard Drive WDH1U10000N - Retail.

You could also get a regular internal HDD and an external case for about a 10-25 $ savings....let me know if you would like to do that.

3. Gelion

Gelion Captain

I very much recommend Seagate. It has worked for 3 years for me without a problem so far.
    *knocks on wood*

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

There are only a few HDD manufacturers (Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, Hitachi), and they're all fine. Any other brand external drive is using one of their drives on the inside.

5. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

As Zelig said, there are only a couple of HDD manufacturers. You're better off looking at the features of the enclosure to make your pick.

6. Macha

Macha King

I have a WD NAS drive (My Book World I). I've had nothing but problems with it, and wouldn't recommend it (or by extension WD) to anyone.

The drive is currently failed (googling the error message comes up with the result that the entire drive is locked into read-only, including the settings file that controls if it's read only, seemingly) because of a firmware update problem.

Before that, however, I had a choice between using their supplied Mionet software (very very slow, nagware to update to the premium version) or smb (aka Map Network Drive - cut off after 500 mb of transfers in one file, or group of files, and needs a hard reboot, but not as painfully slow). Since it screwed up, I don't even have smb.

Customer service is appallingly slow aswell. No phone support (unless you are in the US), and email support takes up to 3 days per reply.

Their USB drives might be a bit better, but after that experience ,I'm not willing to part with the cash to WD to check it out.

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

My choose? Buy them all!

8. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

I was looking to buy a 950 Gb Western Digital External HDD and under the pros/cons section for reviews it says "cons- no on/off". What exactly does this mean and will it be a big issue?