Which Films have you seen lately? 19 - Get Your Film's Name Outta Your Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Gun: Maverick - The final mission was awesome. Really amazing flight scenes and camerawork. The rest of the movie I didn't care about at all. Too much nostalgia, characters that were basically a carbon copy of characters from the original, scenes pulled straight from the original with one little detail changed.
Spoiler :
Oh, they're playing football now instead of volleyball. Brilliant. :mischief:

Operation Mincemeat (2022) - WWII espionage drama based on a true story. More of a character drama than a thriller. Of a type with, but more successful than, Munich: The Edge of War (2022) from earlier this year. Good cast. Colin Firth, Matthew Macfadyen, Penelope Wilton, Kelly MacDonald. It took me a while to figure out that MacDonald is the girl from Trainspotting (1996). I wondered going into this how they might make this story interesting. It's sort of a fun little anecdote to tell friends over a beer, but I didn't see how it could be filled out into a whole movie. They pulled it off, though.

Cha Cha Real Smooth (2022) - Sundance winner, your basic indie dramedy/romcom. The dialogue was oddly literal, but I found that kind of engaging, if only because it was so unusual. I'd never seen any of the main cast before, and they were all very likable. Vanessa Burghardt, who plays a girl with autism, really is a girl with autism. I've never known anyone with (diagnosed) autism irl, so I can't vouch for the authenticity of the portrayal, except to note that the film's writer-director changed the script on the fly as he worked with her, to make her character more realistic. Perhaps also worth noting that I've seen a lot of portrayals of children and teenagers with autism in movies and television, and to my memory, this was the first one who was a girl. Dakota Johnson did a nice job playing the attractive woman with walls up. I have known a few of those irl. :lol:

There was a strange moment of connection between Cha Cha Real Smooth and a 4th-season episode of Castle that I watched later that same night:
Spoiler :
In Cha Cha, there's a scene where Domino tells Andrew that her attraction to him kind of relies on the fact that they don't really know each other. The possibility is what she finds compelling. In Castle, Jennifer Beals is talking to Beckett about her prior relationship with Castle, and how she kind of regretted sleeping with him, because the anticipation and tension were what she liked; actually consummating it took all the wind out of her sails. Domino and Agent Turner both got a kick out of having fun with the charming man-boy in a state of arrested development who made them laugh, but they didn't want a relationship with him. Agent Turner took him for a roll in the hay and kind of wished she hadn't; Domino understood where her head was at before it got that far and spared everyone.

I see that Johnson had another indie drama at Sundance this year, Am I Okay?, directed by Tig Notaro and her wife, and co-starring Sonoya Mizuno. I'm adding that one to my list of things to keep an eye out for. Google says it was bought by HBO Max, but has no release date yet.

The Colony (2021) - An astronaut from an off-world colony returns to post-apoclayptic Earth and wastes no time getting into trouble. Not to be confused with The Colony (2013); if you Google "The Colony", the first link is for the 2021 film but the thumbnail shows the poster for the 2013 film. Low-budget but well-executed sci-fi, part 'artsy' character drama and part post-apoc action film; it doesn't quite nail either one on the head, but if you can hang with "half-and-half", it has some interesting camera work and Nora Arnezeder.

All three of these were decent. I don't think any of them transcend their genre or expectations, but all three did what it said on the tin, as the saying goes. If any of them look like the sort of thing you like, you probably will.

Wanted a lazy night on the sofa yesterday, so I put The Princess Bride on for the umpteenth time. And it's as brilliantly enjoyable as ever.

finally saw lnterstellar from the beginning to the end . American farmers , astronauts each and every of them . America still having Area 51 as the world ends . America which alone knows the anomaly off Saturn . America which plants its flag on every planet . America that allows a space caveman (as the lead certainly is by the end of the movie) steal a spaceship . Uh , we also hear Nationalism is like bad .

the Protege . We are to believe that there are White Americans as motorcycle gangs in Vietnam ... For this ı will blame burned brains due to the coronavirus pandemic .

uh , also either lnterstellar and the Martian were once the same movie , or they saved money wifh Damon's gear ....

I'm 1 hour into Doctor Strange in the Infinite Multiverse of Madness..

So far it's been incredibly boring. Why is this movie over 2 hours long? I hope there's some good stuff in the second half
Is it out digitally now? I guess I can finally find out how much I hate it. :lol:

It's on Disney now, yes.

So far it's been incredibly boring. Why is this movie over 2 hours long? I hope there's some good stuff in the second half

Doctor Who likely has been a moneygrab for literally decades. Why would a movie of it be any good? ^_^

Never a good sign when the best dr Who is one who hasn't been there since the (afaik) 80s.

Sidney Poitier special! Last night: Pressure Point (1962).

Is it out digitally now? I guess I can finally find out how much I hate it. :lol:
I liked about 20 minutes of it, when they let Raimi be Raimi and Olsen was being creepy.

It popped up on Disney+ so I put it on. Turns out the only good part is the one when
Spoiler :
Patrick Stewart shows up. They should have just put him in the whole movie

It popped up on Disney+ so I put it on. Turns out the only good part is the one when
Spoiler :
Patrick Stewart shows up. They should have just put him in the whole movie
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Unfulfilled Expectations:
Spoiler :
I didn't care for the Illuminati scene much. It was one of the things that made the movie too long, and it actually made me reconsider John Krasinki as Reed Richards a little bit. Some of the deaths were fun, though. Of course Raimi had to restrain himself for Disney. He should be doing an episode of The Boys. Did you notice how Wanda killed Charles? It happens so fast that I didn't know it until later, but she doesn't snap his neck; she rips his head in half. Also, she looks like a Deadite when she does it; grey skin, glowing red eyes, teeth all jagged fangs.

Spoiler :

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Unfulfilled Expectations:
Spoiler :
I didn't care for the Illuminati scene much. It was one of the things that made the movie too long, and it actually made me reconsider John Krasinki as Reed Richards a little bit. Some of the deaths were fun, though. Of course Raimi had to restrain himself for Disney. He should be doing an episode of The Boys. Did you notice how Wanda killed Charles? It happens so fast that I didn't know it until later, but she doesn't snap his neck; she rips his head in half. Also, she looks like a Deadite when she does it; grey skin, glowing red eyes, teeth all jagged fangs.

Spoiler :
None of the story interested me at all, which was the main problem with this movie for me I guess. So when Stewart showed up on screen, it finally got my attention. But then he was gone..

A League of Their Own (1992) for the umpteenth time. Seriously, I have no idea how many times I've watched this movie. It's just one of those "comfort food" movies for me. However, I did only just learn that Tracy Reiner was Penny Marshall's daughter from a previous marriage, not Rob Reiner's. Rob Reiner adopted her, and she took his name.

Photo of Reiner and her mom, undated but probably from around when League came out. Now that I'm seeing them side-by-side, she does look more like her mother than her father.
Spoiler :

---

Spoiler :
None of the story interested me at all, which was the main problem with this movie for me I guess. So when Stewart showed up on screen, it finally got my attention. But then he was gone..
Yeah, it didn't make a ton of sense, once I started poking at it.
Spoiler :
Did they even try to explain why Wanda couldn't just recreate the boys, the same way she created them the first time? Maybe that was covered at the end of WandaVision and I don't remember. Did her fantasy-bubble rely on the people she was keeping prisoner in Westview? Was there some reason she couldn't just do it again, but without torturing people? Why did she have to kidnap real boys from another Wanda?

Also, I never watched the '90s X-Men cartoon, so I didn't know that this was that Charles Xavier until somebody told me.

Last edited:
Spoiler :
I didn't even know that Xavier & all the X-men lived in the same universe as all the MU dudes.. although.. I probably did know that at some point, watching through all the MU movies & tv shows. It just didn't really register I guess. But yeah, the movie was too all over the place for me and there wasn't really a plot that interested me. I found it boring. I did like the first one a lot more, it wasn't trying to do everything all at the same time..

the man who saves the world has died today . He was 85 .
Moderator Action: Who is is important man? Tell us please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought on Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, which I notice wasn't in my original post:
Spoiler :
Not only did I not buy that Steven was in love with Christine, I thought this part of Multiverse directly contradicted the first movie. That is, I thought part of the point to the first Doctor Strange was that Steven _didn't_ love her. I mean, wasn't that explicit? I don't know if I'm even reading between any lines. The whole first part of that movie was about what a self-absorbed donkey he was, that he didn't love anyone but himself. I can't remember it verbatim, but there's a line in Multiverse where Strange tells the alternate-universe Christine that he loves every version of her, or something like that. I think I said out loud to nobody, "No, you don't!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom