Which Films have you seen lately? 19 - Get Your Film's Name Outta Your Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
rewatched Logan (2017) and 28 Days Later (2002), both as stellar as i remember them being. the former is probably my favourite superhero movie (which isn't a terribly high bar since i'm not a fan of the genre in general), the latter definitely ranks high in my favourite horror movies of all time

attempted to watch a "thriller" called 12 Feet Deep but had to stop a third of the way in because i found it so insufferable

Ford v Ferrari Top notch and great fun. Those were my car years when formula 1 was spectacular and the cars beautiful.

Logan (2017) - A Top-5 superhero movie and a great neo-Western, with a subplot about caring for an elderly parent, too (an elderly parent who's outlived many of his children, just to make matters even more terrible). Highly recommended to anyone who likes graphic violence, lots of swearing and screaming, and bittersweet endings. If you like the occasional superhero movie, if you prefer to watch the cream of the genre and skip the rest, this is one of the ones you're saving yourself for. It's bleak, bloody, and definitely the most depressing superhero movie I've ever seen.
Spoiler :
The whole purpose of the X-Men stories, from when Stan Lee invented the characters in 1963, was to be a parable for the Civil Rights movement. A persecuted minority nevertheless maintaining faith that they could coexist harmoniously with humankind, even going so far as to using what makes them different to protect people from the genuine threats out there. Prof. X and Magneto were obvious analogues for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X (or W.E.B. Dubois and Marcus Garvey, if you prefer), the integrationist and the separatist, the one who had faith in humankind's dignity and benevolence and the one who thought violent conflict was inevitable.

In Logan, we learn that Magneto was right all along. Humanity - perhaps specifically the United States, it's hard to tell - cannot abide mutants and has hunted them to extinction, when it wasn't subjecting them to inhumane experimentation and exploitation. The United States has become a place where people who are different simply have to flee for their lives. The struggle was all for nothing, the bad guys won. Our MLK figure ends up buried in an unmarked grave somewhere in the forests of North America and his legacy is as dead as he is. You can take Abraham Lincoln's "better angels" and shove them up your tailpipe.
On the bright side, it's thought-provoking, filmed well, with great performances and excellent fight choreography. (I note that Dafne Keene was only 11 years old when they filmed this. She must still be in therapy.)

I have no idea why I watched these two movies, back-to-back. I'm totally wrung out. I need a drink. :lol:
When I think about it... X-Men can't have a happy ending, not permanently, anyway... its almost identical to the Terminator franchise in that regard... "The War" is inevitable, no matter how many times they go back and forth through time trying to stop it, they always end up right back at the post apocalyptic doomsday scenario, with inevitable, endless conflict.

Happy that I never watched any of this series.
The Harry Potter PT films remind me alot of the LoTR prequel films... beautiful visually, but just devoid of the magic of the OT and overall just... Meh.
Spoiler :
As an aside... it was a completely preposterous, premise, that an assembly of thousands upon thousands of freaking magic-wielding wizards and witches couldn't immediately tell that the anointing quilin was a fake/dead. It didn't even have the inner glow or correct coloring of the live one.

Dr. Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness - This is the first movie I've seen in a theater in 2 1/2 years. The visuals were spectacular. The story was mediocre.

Spoiler :

• Elizabeth Olsen was wonderful once again as Wanda, but Wanda goes from being regretful about Westview to full on crazy mode really quickly.
  • That sequence were America and Strange go through a bunch of universes was awesome.
  • At the end when Christine gives Strange a good pep talk and all of a sudden he can control the demons was an eyeroll moment. Then within a few minutes Strange gives America a good pep talk and all of a sudden she can control her powers.
Yeah, they really just hand-waved a bunch of stuff with a ton of new, unexplained powers/abilities and heavy handed use of deus-ex-machinas and other lazily written contrivances... even taking into account that this was a superhero film. That being said, I still enjoyed it. Marvel has certainly done better, but they've also done worse...

Last edited:
When I think about it... X-Men can't have a happy ending, not permanently, anyway... its almost identical to the Terminator franchise in that regard... "The War" is inevitable, no matter how many times they go back and forth through time trying to stop it, they always end up right back at the post apocalyptic doomsday scenario, with inevitable, endless conflict.
Right, Days of Future Past was where we got "Old Man Logan" in the first place. iirc, that future was considered an "alternate" or possible future, but I'm fuzzy on the details all these years later. But, yeah, the Terminator analogy isn't a bad one. Who knows, maybe James Cameron was inspired by Days of Future Past (Uncanny X-Men #141 was published in October 1980 and The Terminator was released in October 1984).

All that Heaven Allows (1955), directed by Douglas Sirk, starring Jane Wyman and the great Rock Hudson.
To complete the Sirk double feature, starring the great Rock Hudson again, plus Robert Stack of Beavis and Butt-head do America and The Untouchables fame, Lauren Bacall, who needs no introduction, Dorothy Malone, who won an Oscar as Best Supporting Actress for this film, albeit she was arguably a main character in an ensemble of four, and Edward Platt of Get Smart fame.

Interesting film with the obvious æsop™ that money won't buy you happiness, but there's Sirk's veiled social commentary such as Hadley Oil Co. running its own police force, or black people being only servants, or gender rôles in 1950s 'Murica, and more. Interesting commentary, especially both films taken into account together.

Also:

The movie was a massive success and Stack was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor; Dorothy Malone, who played Stack's sister, was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. Malone won, but Stack lost, to Anthony Quinn. Stack felt that the primary reason he lost to Quinn was that 20th Century Fox, which had lent him to Universal-International, organized block voting against him to prevent one of their contract players from winning an Academy Award while working at another studio.​

Stupid, stupid, stupid, but par for the course. Full cavity searches for all of them.

On the other hand, I remember her most fondly from Tim Burton's Mars Attacks! (1996).

Black Bear - I'm not sure what this movie is about. I mean, I know what the characters did...but the multiple stories thing confuses me. My best guess is that it's about writing stories and going through several drafts. Or it's about a multiverse since that seems to be all the rage these days. Also the bear is a totally just...wtf? I did enjoy it despite the confusion I had. The three main actors were all great.

Right, Days of Future Past was where we got "Old Man Logan" in the first place. iirc, that future was considered an "alternate" or possible future, but I'm fuzzy on the details all these years later. But, yeah, the Terminator analogy isn't a bad one. Who knows, maybe James Cameron was inspired by Days of Future Past (Uncanny X-Men #141 was published in October 1980 and The Terminator was released in October 1984).
The "multiverse" is the gift that keeps on giving :p ;) Hallelumarvel

watched The Wailing (2016) yesterday and loved it
Yeah it is excellent. Had to track down a Canadian blu-ray release of it, since the US release is region locked.

I have watched it. Iirc I didn't like the ending. :)
I remember we talked a bit about the braindead provincial korean third world police officers.
It's kind of a trope in Korean cinema, that these 'rural police officers' aren't that bright or well educated in detective work. It often leads to culture clashes when a cop from Seoul arrives to break the case and so on. I guess it's an acquired taste, but personally I'm a sucker for good Korean/Asian thrillers, crime and horror.

Speaking of tracking down a Canadian blu-ray release of a film I want, I also located A Dark Song, an Irish/UK occult thriller that for whatever reason has never been released in Ireland or the UK on blu, but a German release turned up in December. Re-watched it a couple of weeks ago - love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom