Which Films have you seen lately? 19 - Get Your Film's Name Outta Your Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's disappointing to hear, as I'm a big fan of Martin McDonagh's writing, both in cinema and theatre, and was looking forward to Banshees. The Lieutenant of Inishmore in particular is one of the best plays I've ever seen.
Well it appears I'm in the minority opinion on Banshees. The majority of critic and user reviews seem to be positive. It's not a movie I really regret seeing and if you're a fan of Martin McDonagh it's definitely worth seeing at least once.

But speaking of movies I regret seeing, I watched Barbarian last night. Way too intense for me. When it got to the 'barbarian' part I decided that was enough self inflicted pain for one evening and turned it off.

Its making a ton of money, but... The Rock... so... I haven't heard great things about it, but again... The Rock... so... how bad could it possibly be? He made the absolutely terrible Jumanji reboot films actually bearable. I mean... those movies are just ridiculous, but The Rock brought an almost, "so bad its good" quality to them, without actually crossing that threshold, and inexplicably, simultaneously, without crossing into George Clooney Batman territory. The movies are just kinda "Meh", when by all rights they should be Razzies... and its all because Dwayne The Rock Johnson carries them on his mighty shoulders..
Sounds like Kurt Russell or Arnie carrying some films that would otherwise be a downright mess.

Many of Arnie's movies are underrated imo.
When i see for example The Running Man sit at 6.6 on imdb - while any well marketed movie gets to around 7 no matter how bad they are - it's just not true.
Running Man wasn't his best (just good)..but there are so many fun moments in his films, and they usually have the right positive spirit. Great music. An actually engaging story.

Or Twins, 6.1 is so laughable. One of my favorite comedies. Not pretending to be anything else..just pure fun.
No politics, "female power" and all these things that dominate cinema today (and are used for rating manipulation).

I've been thinking about the "techno-thriller" subgenre. It's a very narrow band, admittedly, but kind of a fun one. By definition, it has to feature technology, but it can't be so advanced that it's clearly sci-fi. It's also more of a subgenre of espionage thrillers than of science fiction or fantasy-action, even though the tech involved usually needs to be cutting-edge, if not near-future, and therefore it edges very closely to sci-fi. It's hard to slide a piece of paper between the Cyberpunk and Technothriller genres, but I feel like we have to. The sensibilities are different. It's also a genre that started in, and perhaps works best in, books rather than movies, but since this is the movies thread, I'm going to focus on movies.

Is The Terminator a techno-thriller? The Matrix? Not in my opinion. Neither are Her or Ex Machina. I also don't think technology-run-amok stories are necessarily techno-thrillers. I don't know if I'd call The China Syndrome (1979) a techno-thriller, for instance (well, I suppose it would be a "proto-techno-thriller", as below, if it qualifies at all). Are there some 007 or Mission: Impossible films that could be counted as techno-thrillers? Yeah, probably. What about Michael Chrichton movies? Is Jurassic Park a techno-thriller? No espionage element, so I'd say no.

Recommendations:

Proto-techno-thrillers, because to my memory, they preceded the use of the term:
The Conversation (1974)
Three Days of the Condor (1975)
War Games (1983).

The Hunt for Red October (1990) - I think the 1984 novel on which this movie is based might have been the germination of the term "techno-thriller", even though it can be applied retroactively to things that are older than that.
Sneakers (1992)
Strange Days (1995) - Lacks the espionage element, but I can't decide it if qualifies anyway. Maybe. If a genre becomes too wide, too inclusive, it loses its utility to define things for us; otoh, if it's too narrow, it's not very useful, either.
Enemy of the State (1998)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) - I think this is the only superhero movie I'd put in the category.
Eagle Eye (2008) - This one edges superclose to cyberpunk, for me, because of its use of an A.I. However, because the A.I. never materializes in any kind of humanoid form, it's never interacted with directly. iirc, it operates purely through existing communication and surveillance systems and devices. This one comes close to being a William Gibson story rather than a Tom Clancy story, if you know what I mean, but I think it still qualifies as a techno-thriller.
Kimi (2022)

Someone reminded me of The Kingdom (2007) recently. I remember liking it, but I can't remember if it had enough of the technology aspect.
I guess Minority Report and Equilibrium are bordering this too.... maybe?

Yes. Not sure why I watched it, but so glad I did.

Its making a ton of money, but... The Rock... so... I haven't heard great things about it, but again... The Rock... so... how bad could it possibly be? He made the absolutely terrible Jumanji reboot films actually bearable. I mean... those movies are just ridiculous, but The Rock brought an almost, "so bad its good" quality to them, without actually crossing that threshold, and inexplicably, simultaneously, without crossing into George Clooney Batman territory. The movies are just kinda "Meh", when by all rights they should be Razzies... and its all because Dwayne The Rock Johnson carries them on his mighty shoulders..

The Rock has a good on screen presence. But he can't save everything. He didn't save Baywatch. And while Black Adam will make money, it's not a good movie. It's just going to be popular.

I've seen films (and books) that heavily feature science, be termed "techno-thriller", for example the Andromeda Strain.

1668640277718.png

I suppose it's not sci-fi because it is set in a world you know, with no new tech. In that way, the Three Body Problem also wouldn't be scifi if it had no alien worlds or new tech.
I'd personally view the Andromeda Strain as scifi if the organism was intelligent instead of (iirc that was the plot) some alien virus which reached Earth by accident.

Was Andromeda Strain good, worth watching?
I don't remember that much, but the sets were very good (massive underground multi-level facility for testing viruses). The story itself (at least in the movie) is perhaps too focused on scientific error (and discovery), so I wasn't thrilled about it...
One scifi movie I mean to watch (tried years ago but gave up 1/3 in) is Stalker.

I guess Minority Report and Equilibrium are bordering this too.... maybe?
Yes, definitely. I would call them both cyberpunk, in part because they're just a step or two further into the future. Techno-thrillers, to me, involve tech that could exist tomorrow, if not today. Anything with androids that resemble people, for example, couldn't be a techno-thriller, in my book, which rules out things like Humans and Ex Machina. It also means a lot of older techno-thrillers will seem out-of-date to us today, but that makes them no less exciting - I think 3 Days of the Condor is awesome, for example. Something about the A.I. in Eagle Eye is just-this-side of too futuristic, so I still think of it as a techno-thriller, whereas the A.I. in The Terminator or Her is too far away and edges into cyberpunk or another genre of sci-fi. The Terminator also has the time-travel aspect; even though that's only in the setup, I still think that rules it out as a techno-thriller. But then that would have to rule out Travelers, which would be a techno-thriller except for that one thing. Her isn't a techno-thriller for an entirely differnt reason: It's not a thriller.

I've been thinking more about how to separate techno-thrillers from cyberpunk. Part of it is in the way they each fetishize the tech. I feel like cyberpunk is a little more cynical, somehow.

I know this is the film thread, but a technothriller series I liked was Pine Gap (2018), about the joint US-Australian sigint facility near Alice Springs. Movie & television nerds will recognize Jacqueline McKenzie in that. I think it had a chance to get a second season, but then the Pandemic came along and I'd guess it's dead, now. Still, the one season is worth watching, if you're into that sort of thing. There's also a British series I've heard is good, but haven't seen yet: The Capture.

I've seen films (and books) that heavily feature science, be termed "techno-thriller", for example the Andromeda Strain.

View attachment 645222

I suppose it's not sci-fi because it is set in a world you know, with no new tech. In that way, the Three Body Problem also wouldn't be scifi if it had no alien worlds or new tech.
I'd personally view the Andromeda Strain as scifi if the organism was intelligent instead of (iirc that was the plot) some alien virus which reached Earth by accident.
Yeah, I was thinking about this one, too. My brain slots this in beside The China Syndrome (1979), which I somewhat-arbitrarily decided wasn't a techno-thriller. More of a disaster movie, but I suppose there's no reason techno-thrillers and disaster stories have to be mutually-exclusive. It wouldn't take much for me to change my mind and decide that these are both tech-thrillers, after all.

Another movie I couldn't decide whether to call a techno-thriller initially, but I'm now leaning in that direction: Capricorn One (1977).

Was Andromeda Strain good, worth watching?
If you generally appreciate '70s movies, yes. It's probably not one of the ones that transcends its era.

Legendary director Albert Pyun would like to hear from fans in his final days​

Over the last forty years, director Albert Pyun has built an awesome career. He started off with the appropriately titled sword and sorcery classic The Sword and the Sorcerer and since then has directed such films as Cyborg, Captain America (1990), Kickboxer 2, Kickboxer 4, Arcade, Nemesis, Dollman, Mean Gun, Infection,and many more. So many more, he has around fifty feature directing credits to his name. Sadly, Pyun was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis several years ago… and it seems he is now in his final days. His wife Cynthia Curnan took to Facebook to ask fans to send in personal messages so she can read them to him. Curnan’s request for messages was then given a signal boost by a Sam Peckinpah fan page.

Curnan’s Facebook post can be found HERE. She said, “Albert took another downturn. I could tell he feared going down again. He was working too feverishly. I asked “What’s the rush?” He said “If I stop, that’s it.” … Please write a message to him for me to read. A personal message from you to him will make him really happy. They think he does not have much time left. Update: Albert wept happy and sad tears when listening to your messages for him. He feels terrible to have let you down. by failing to finish his last 2 movies. He wanted them to be a 6 part TV series. He worked and tried like a maniac; it was all that truly mattered to him. To Albert, failure has never been an option.“

The post from the Sam Peckinpah page is HERE. They said, “It has come to my attention that cult movie director and direct-to-video pioneer Albert Pyun is very ill and does not have much time left. The Hawaiian-born filmmaker began his career under the tutelage of Toshiro Mifune and carved a reputation for himself as a B-level action/sci-fi director who brought memorable visuals and endless imaginations to films that were usually filmed on very limited budgets.

Known primarily for his kickboxer/apocalyptic spectacles, Pyun was clearly a student of greats like Sergio Leone, John Woo, Akira Kurosawa, and Sam Peckinpah in the way that he staged his action scenes and often transformed them into surreal landscapes for his eccentric characters to inhabit. Cult classics like THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER (1982), RADIOACTIVE DREAMS (1985), CYBORG (1989), CAPTAIN AMERICA (1990), NEMESIS (1992), KNIGHTS (1993), and MEAN GUNS (1997) are never going to be mistaken for cinematic masterpieces, and certainly many of Pyun’s films fall cheerfully into the so-bad-it’s-good corner of cinematic legacy — but they were all made on a wing and a prayer by a director with a distinctive artistic vision with a range of impressive cinematic tricks up his sleeve. Additionally, consider some of the legendary actors with whom Albert Pyun has collaborated: Burt Reynolds, Jean Claude Van Damme, Charlie Sheen, Lance Henriksen, Ice T, Christopher Lambert, Ronny Cox, Darren McGavin – and Peckinpah alumni Kris Kristofferson, James Coburn, Rutger Hauer, and Dennis Hopper.

Albert’s wife Cynthia has been posting updates about his condition for a while now on her private page and has let us know that while he is in his final days, Albert would love to hear from fans. She’s given me permission to post this request here for my readers – and I’m asking you now to rise to the occasion. Albert has been ill for quite some time, but his love for cinema has kept him going; indeed, he has spent these twilight years of his life working tirelessly on new projects that he will never live to see completed. I think it would mean a hell of a lot if those of us here who love cinema could express some words of gratitude to a man who has spent his life in the field, fearlessly working against an often unforgiving industry to bring his artistic vision to the screen.

If you’d like to leave some words of thanks for Albert, please do so in the comments below. Cynthia will make sure that Albert sees them. And by all means – share this post everywhere. Thanks, team.“

So if you’re a fan of Pyun’s work, now is the time to reach out and let him know that you appreciate the entertainment he has provided over the decades. Here’s hoping his health will actually turn around for the better, but it will be good for him to hear from fans either way.

1668710223633.png

I've been thinking more about how to separate techno-thrillers from cyberpunk.

They can overlap. But techno thrillers usually take place in the present, an alternative present, or in the near future. Cyberpunk is usually more further out in time, the concepts are often futuristic and often play with the merger of flesh, mind and technology in a dystopian setting. Battle Angel Alita, Blade Runner, TRON...

Blade Runner (the movie, which I haven't watched), if at all based on DADOES, isn't cyberpunk :) There wasn't any merger of flesh/mind and technology there either, which I agree is the most defining aspect of cybepunk (along with soldiers of fortune, at least in Neuromancer).
That said, going from the trailer I suppose the aesthetic was turned to cyberpunk, while the novel by Dick mostly shows desert and some type of condos (but I don't recall if there was much description; been some time since I read it).
Anyway, to me Neuromancer is the definition of the cyberpunk aesthetic (and I can't say I like it). The anime Ghost in the Shell is also a famous example of cyberpunk. The original Mtv adaptation of Aeon Flux too.

Last edited:
Blade Runner (the movie, which I haven't watched), if at all based on DADOES, isn't cyberpunk :) There wasn't any merger of flesh/mind and technology there either, which I agree is the most defining aspect of cybepunk (along with soldiers of fortune, at least in Neuromancer).

Well, I respectfully think William Gibson will disagree with you on Blade Runner not having Cyberpunk elements. Replicants are also prime examples of AI with thought, emotions and desires that are indistinguishable from those of real humans. If that's not a merger between AI and humanity, then I don't know what is. :)

This film also features a grimy, dystopian setting and one of its major themes is what makes us human. Definitely cyberpunk.

This film also features a grimy, dystopian setting
... not to mention, a megacorporate techno-monopoly manufacturing ethically dubious products, while wielding apparent undue influence over law-enforcement. So yeah.

DADoES? is not what I would regard as cyberpunk, though.

Last edited:
=> Blade Runner isn't really based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep :mischief:
I haven't watched the movie, but have read the book, where you can't merge with AI - nor is the AI's behavior indistinguishable from humans (the point in the book is that the androids don't have human desires - they try to trick you that they do, to pass as human - and even their self-preservation lacks any empathy for a group; it's why an android in the book sacrifices its closest androids to escape).
It's the typical motif in Philip K. Dick, to have machines feature self-preservation but not human-type of emotion or thought. The same betrayal (actually, just hard-coded) exists in stories like The Second Variety.

That said, I do agree that the borders between cyberpunk and other scifi subtypes are blurred. It's not only an issue between subtypes of that subgenre either... Ultimately you personally choose a definition based on what you focus on, and so you can term stuff cyberpunk even if they don't feature human-machine hybrids and squalor in a megalopolis with small-time crooks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom