1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Which Films have you seen lately? Certificate 18

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aiken_Drumn, Nov 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Shades of the Sun Supporter

I thought it was excellent, but @BenitoChavez is right that you have to go back and watch the ending. Watching that movie without seeing the ending is like eating all the sides at Thanksgiving, but not eating any of the turkey :p. It's alot like Shyamalan movie, in that the ending is the whole point.

2. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Well . . .

. . . if there's enough stuffing, this is negotiable.

Samson and Sommerswerd like this.
  3. really

really Deity

I saw Paw Patrol: The Movie during the summer.
    First time I've been to the cinema in years.
    As I was not doing jobs or on the phone I sat down and enjoyed it.

Kyriakos likes this.
  4. Sommerswerd

Gawd I luvs me sum stuffin':D... this year I went about half and half on cooking the turkey, as in baked it for half the time, then put it in the smoker for half the time...Mind.Blowing.:eek: The turkey was so juicy and fall-apart that I didn't even have to add any flour or water to make the gravy... just pure meaty/fatty turkey juices poured right onto the stuffing... my brother-in-law made cornbread stuffing with sweet sausage crumbled in the mixture. That plus the turkey juice/gravy was... just... let's just say it was pretty damn good :yumyum:

Speaking of films and turkey... I just got a dog this year... a big dog. He's still a puppy but the breed is so big that he can reach the kitchen counter already. He was eyeing the turkey on the counter with so much lust in his eyes... I couldn't help but think of the scene in A Christmas Story, when the dogs run into the house and ravage the freshly baked turkey before anyone gets to even taste it:cry:

Spoiler :

Oh the humanity!:faint:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  5. Synobun

Synobun Deity

Megamind. Sucks. 2/10.

6. Sommerswerd

Meh... It was OK.

Synobun likes this.
  7. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

The Truman Show (1998).

This is one of those films that show that some of the best-written villains are those who actually answer to a higher, superior evil*. Christof is surely the tyrant that scripts every moment of Truman's life, but he's just the show's director! Behind him stand the next-tier villains, the execs and stockholders of the company that actually owns the studio and legally adopted-bought Truman Burbank.

*other examples: Darth Vader, Arnie's T-800, Robert Patrick's T-1000, Agent Smith

8. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! ]Megamind. 10/10 :thumbsup:

9. Synobun

Synobun Deity

Venom: Let There Be Carnage. 4/10 might be too generous of a rating. Devastatingly average. Took forever to get to the point. Meh.

ETA: Okay, the post-credits scene is good enough to make it a four.

10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Cloud Atlas I liked it. 8/10. Sci fi + time travel forward and backward across 4 story lines.

tjs282 and Sommerswerd like this.
  11. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Beat the Devil (1953). There's no such thing as too much Bogart.

12. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Administrator Supporter

Red Notice. Now... that's a simple movie. I guess it's better that the Rock tried a mix between gentleman thief/Indiana Jones and NOT James Bond :lol:.
    Good enough for some brainless entertainment. Wouldn't go to the cinema for it.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - I generally dislike romantic comedies, but do check out the occasional romcom if something about it seems unique or promising. This was a good pick right here. Not a great movie and questionably not even good, but overall the indulgence of some of the moments presented on screen and Russel Brand's presence made it all worthwhile. I like the other actor from that show with the bad ending too, which helped. He's not great but I know exactly who he is going to play ahead of time, and that's not always good, but in this case you know what you're gonna get and it's going to be adequate. It's really tough for me to grade this movie, because out of all the romcoms it's probably one of my favourites, but out of all the movies in the world it is sort of kind of "bad feat. Russel Brand". How do you even put a number to that. Okay let's go with 6.4/10

Scott Pilgrim VS The World
    - I really liked this! An interesting mix of genres and visual and storytelling styles. Cera seems to play somebody annoying to the right degree. At first some parts feel really silly and possibly even stupid, but then it all sort of comes together in harmony. It's silly and funny and the only problem I have with it really is that .. How is this introverted nerd getting all the hottest girls in this story? Yeah he's in a band but that's pretty much it. Then I remember - oh yeah, this is presented in the style of a motion picture comic book sort of deal, so of course the nerd is going to get all the girls. The fights were pretty cool and at first unexpected. Very cool movie with fun characters and a more or less coherent story. 9.2/10

Synobun likes this.
  14. Sommerswerd

I really enjoyed this movie and think its arguably on the level of a masterpiece, but the catch is... you have to watch it twice. On the first viewing I found it hard to follow and somewhat confusing, but still strangely compelling. On the second viewing I "got it" and really saw how special and different the movie was. It was really well done, so much about the movie just clicked together so well, like a giant puzzle. I had one big quibble, but other than that I thought the movie was nearly perfect:
    Spoiler :
    When Tom Hanks post-apocalyptic character, the tribesman, goes to the fortune teller, she warns him, among other things, not to slit his sleeping enemy's throat. However, he can't control his thirst for revenge and disobeys her warning. But there is no consequence, they all survive anyway. Either he should have spared the man's life and kept hidden, or the girl should have probably died as a result of him disobeying. Every other time he follows the warnings there is a reward for doing so, which makes sense, but I feel like they coped out of making the character pay for disobeying the warnings.

I was discussing earlier, that I really think that they were going for a comedy-parody of Oceans/Indiana Jones/Mission Impossible type films. If they were, it was pretty good. If they were really trying to make a serious action movie, then it was ridiculous... but I'm pretty sure it was the former.

Birdjaguar and The_J like this.
  15. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Elderly Tortoise

Knives Out - This is a re-watch but I love this movie. It's an old style murder mystery in the fashion of Clue. The characters and acting make this movie. Ana De Armas is so endearing and Daniel Craig with his goofy yet somehow fitting southern draw are the two standouts but the rest of the cast is awesome too. A great film for this time of year since it's set in the late fall and everyone is wearing their comfiest sweaters.

Children of Men - I didn't know anything about this other than people seemed to think it's good. Well I just saw it and good is a vast understatement. This movie is flippin phenomenal. It's set in a dystopian future and it's super intense with a pretty hard hitting political message, some outstanding action sequences, and relatable characters. My main criticism should be that Kee should be the main character, not Theo since it's her and her child which are the main driver of the film. Theo is just kinda there for the ride.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    EgonSpengler, Sommerswerd and The_J like this.
  16. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Administrator Supporter

The first one is really great. The second one I might need to watch again, because I really don't remember that I was the slightest impressed. (besides Julianne Moore...hhmm....)

You know what a MacGuffin is ;)?

I do think it works fine as an adventure movie for Teenagers. I don't necessarily think it's made as a total parody, but rather just filled with some references, more as inspiration than to ridicule though. So I lean more to the semi-serious side here.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  17. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Have you tried this approach with Citizen Kane?

18. Synobun

Synobun Deity

Citizen Kane? More like Citizen Lame.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  19. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

Maybe if you've not already read the book... :smug: ;)

Sommerswerd and Birdjaguar like this.
  20. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

What about The Watchmen where you have to watch it 9 times to understand it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.