1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Films have you seen lately? Certificate 18

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aiken_Drumn, Nov 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

On that vein, am I the only one who's watched Revolver by Guy Ritchie?

2. Synobun

Synobun Deity

Yes. Just you.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  3. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Given that it's one of those films that you have to watch several times just to understand the plot, then you should join me! :hug:

4. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

My Father the Hero. :trophy:

5. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

"Finch" on Apple; filmed in NM. Lightweight fun with Tom Hanks and robots. Perhaps a "Castaway" remake? Enjoyable and suitable for kids.

6. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

Psst... there are actually 6 stories ;)

In chronological order:

The young man sailing home, gets poisoned by the ship's doctor, and rescued by a slave;
    ...his diary of the journey is later read by the bored music student, in between transcribing the composer's opus and banging the composer's wife
    ...The musician's gay lover graduates to become a nuclear physicist, who later blows the whistle on sabotage at his powerplant, to an investigative journalist
    ...who writes a "novel" about the incident, and submits the manuscript to the publisher just before he gets 'accidentally' committed to an asylum
    ...and later makes a TV show about his experiences, an old fragment of which inspires the cloned slave-waitress to seek her freedom
    ...becoming the figurehead of a global revolution, and leading to the collapse of civilization into savagery (apart from Hawaii, for some reason...)

Birdjaguar and Sommerswerd like this.
  7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Shades of the Sun

1st watch :sleep: 2nd watch :sleep: 3rd watch :sleep: 4th watch :sleep: 5th watch :sleep: 6th watch :sleep: and so on... so yes, I've tried... and then some.

As an aside, I "get" the movie, and I fully understand why the film is so highly regarded. It was well ahead of its time... at the time it was made... but by today's standards its just a huge bore.:sleep:

Synobun likes this.
  8. Sommerswerd

Yes Red Notice is a quintessential MacGuffin film :yup: Its still ridiculous. But again, it totally works as a multi-genre parody.

The_J likes this.
  9. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Well Citizen Kane blew my mind so I disagree that it is boring. :p

Sommerswerd likes this.
  10. Sommerswerd

7 stories...

whereby she is worshiped as a Goddess, and her temple houses a transmitter which an advanced (modern) post apocalyptic civilization needs to befriend the primitive post- apocalyptic civilization in Hawaii to access

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Although I like Molina (The Doctor Octopus actor), this plot is really stupid imo.

It'd be great if actual new movies/ideas appeared.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

100% of CFC's silver screen autrices disagree with your assessment.

I seriously wonder what you think about Seinfeld then.

13. Sommerswerd

1. 100% of the ***** I don't give ;)
    2. CFC doesn't have any "silver screen autrices"
    3. I was never a Seinfeld fan. I've seen it a few times. I thought the "Soup Nazi" bit was hilarious. I acknowledge the general popularity, longevity and overall quality of the show. It just was never my thing. Same goes for Friends. As an aside, I'll note that both Seinfeld and Friends never seemed to have any black friends and/or main characters. That's not by any means a necessity for me to watch or like a show... I've been watching and enjoying shows with no black main characters my whole life, but still, worth noting.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  14. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

No JK for you!

Sommerswerd likes this.
  15. Sommerswerd

The way the cashier snatches the bag of soup and immediately hands back the money in one fluid motion always put me in stiches. :lol:

16. r16

r16 not deity

green Zone with Matt Damon . Exactly as the wikipedia page says , it aims to exonorate America from a reputation of illegally going to war or something . America knew lraq had WMDs or whatever because of "late deliveries" and there is even this book ı read tells of the American spy soldier or military intelligence guy who saw them in person , right before he discredits himself with demanding a billion or a million or a trillion for capturing Saddam's treasure or something .

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I recently watched Da 5 Bloods, a movie about 5 African American vets who return to Vietnam. I thought it was really well done 8.5/10

Then I shifted gears and re-watched Jumanji again for the first time since it came out. It was good to see Robin Williams again. Totally forgot Dunst was in this, that was weird. The movie was basically exactly what I expected 6.8/10

I was feeling it so next I put on Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and it was totally worth watching just to see
    Spoiler :
    Jack Black act as a ditzy blonde girl.
    This was basically a fun family romp I guess? A bit more daring than the last one maybe. I have no idea so let's say 6.6/10

I just kept going and next saw Jumanji: The Next Level and it was just so disappointing that
    Spoiler :
    Jack Black was no longer playing the ditzy blonde.
    I liked seeing all the same actors in new roles though, it highlighted their actually decent or even at times good acting skills. So.. I liked this movie, but at the same time I can't remember anything about it really. My memories of this movie and the last one bleed together into a montage of Jack Black doing stuff with The Rock and Kevin Hart. And a hot girl. They stand around or run around and say funny things and it's 2 hours of that. So I'll give this one a perfectly average 6.5/10

Apparently there's a TV show but I was so done with all that crap and ready to move on to something else.. so I put on Escape from Pretoria, which.. holy crap.. is a really good movie. I can't remember a movie I've seen recently that made me feel so much suspense and anticipation and held on to me so well.. My eyes were wide open for some of the sequences and I was soo along for the ride feeling what the protagonist might have been feeling. And to think it was just scenes of
    Spoiler :
    a guy trying to open doors.
    It was beautifully done and the story is powerful too. Radcliffe nailed it. Main baddie was done well and sold me into hating him at the appropriate level. Secondary actors were great too, except I had some problems with the long haired guy. He was usually good but just didn't seem to come off in a couple of the scenes. Maybe it's just my imagination. This is now probably my all time favourite "escape from" movie ever made, and that includes movies about any sort of escape from anything. 9.4/10

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  18. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

That would be Karen Gillan.

She also played Nebula (Gamora's adopted cyborg-sister) in the MCU/ Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    warpus likes this.
  19. JohannaK

She also played AMY, THE BESTEST DOCTOR COMPANION

Gorbles likes this.
  20. JohannaK

Note that I am not, in fact, a fan of Doctor Who.

El_Machinae likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.