Which Films have you seen lately? Number K'. Someone was spreading lies about Joseph 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit, I have almost no memory of the Matrix sequels, including the recent one.
They're all the same... If you saw the first one you've got the gist. There is no reason to watch any of the other ones, possibly with the exception of The Animatrix, which actually adds some new, related material and meaningful context. The franchise just gets more and more full of itself with each iteration and its all pretty obvious,,, the outfits and action is cool of course, but there isn't anything that new or profound... its just re-treading/remixing/re-packaging the same stuff you already kind of figured out already... and again, proudly and unapologetically so... they even put the prefix "Re" before each movie title for crissakes :lol: :rolleyes:
I have yet to watch Resurrections, but still.
Don't bother... See above.

They're all the same... If you saw the first one you've got the gist. There is no reason to watch any of the other ones, possibly with the exception of The Animatrix, which actually adds some new, related material and meaningful context. The franchise just gets more and more full of itself with each iteration and its all pretty obvious,,, the outfits and action is cool of course, but there isn't anything that new or profound... its just re-treading/remixing/re-packaging the same stuff you already kind of figured out already... and again, proudly and unapologetically so... they even put the prefix "Re" before each movie title for crissakes :lol: :rolleyes:
I found Reloaded and Revolutions better on a rewatch, but this is years after all the hype and The Matrix being this important world changing work of media and instead saw it as a single movie split in two (maybe someone has edited the two down into a single two or three hour movie) that's trying to be a cross between Aliens and Dragon Ball. All the meaningfulness of those two can be summed up as "free will vs. predestination" and "choices have consequences".

I found Reloaded and Revolutions better on a rewatch, but this is years after all the hype and The Matrix being this important world changing work of media and instead saw it as a single movie split in two (maybe someone has edited the two down into a single two or three hour movie) that's trying to be a cross between Aliens and Dragon Ball. All the meaningfulness of those two can be summed up as "free will vs. predestination" and "choices have consequences".
The original The Matrix was all of those things and more. It was a masterpiece, and easily a generationally defining piece of film that so much film in that and related genres after it drew from, emulated, referenced, and/or outright copied. But that made the sequels even less necessary, because they become, ultimately, just one more imitation/retread/knockoff, in a sea of imitators.

The other thing that is, annoying about the sequels, is that they severely diminish the hopefulness of the original's ending, and essentially place the outcome of the story in the most obvious scenario imaginable... for no reason.
Spoiler :
Human and machines learn to co-exist? Really? Human and machines already co-exist! Oh, and BTW, everyone goes back into the matrix afterall??? We needed 4 additional movies (if you include Animatrix) and the complete apocalyptic destruction of the planet to get from there to here? Why??

The Matrix 1999 was probably the best film of that year. STAR WARS Episode I got all the pre-hype; The Matrix took everyone by surprise.

As for the sequels... it seemed to me, that the Wachowskis got lost in the convoluted mythology they put together for especially Reloaded. Then again, I always prefer an artist to aim high and fail, compared to someone who aims for nothing and succeeds. The Wachowski's + Tykwer's Cloud Atlas is a guilty pleasure of mine and I'm perfectly aware that is flopped badly and most people don't like it much.

The Matrix 1999 was probably the best film of that year. STAR WARS Episode I got all the pre-hype; The Matrix took everyone by surprise.

As for the sequels... it seemed to me, that the Wachowskis got lost in the convoluted mythology they put together for especially Reloaded. Then again, I always prefer an artist to aim high and fail, compared to someone who aims for nothing and succeeds. The Wachowski's + Tykwer's Cloud Atlas is a guilty pleasure of mine and I'm perfectly aware that is flopped badly and most people don't like it much.
I thought Cloud Atlas was superb. It wasn't perfect of course, but it was so ambitious and it succeeded in so many beautiful ways.

The Wonder (2022) - I liked the concept of the movie but the execution was off. Unnecessarily slow and some really confusing parts.

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - One of my favorite movies ever. Endlessly rewatchable ;)

I just wish that the original concept for Switch - played by a man in the "real" world and a woman in the Matrix - had stayed in the film, but then major studios are notoriously skittish and/or dismissive of things they don't understand.

1999 was one of those years for movies.
Now you've got me wondering what my 'favorite year(s)' in movies might be. 🤔

'99 movies I remember liking at the time, with a little help from Google and Letterboxd:
Spoiler :
The 13th Warrior
American Beauty
Any Given Sunday
Being John Malkovich
The Bone Collector
Boys Don't Cry
Bringing Out the Dead
Cruel Intentions
Deep Blue Sea
The End of the Affair
Eye of the Beholder
Eyes Wide Shut
Fight Club
For Love of the Game
Galaxy Quest
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
Go
The Insider
The Iron Giant
Lake Placid
The Limey
Magnolia
The Matrix
The Mummy
Mystery Men
Office Space
Pushing Tin
The Sixth Sense
Three Kings
Toy Story 2
That's more than I would have thought. I just saw The Iron Giant for the first time a couple of years ago, and I'm sure I rewatched Galaxy Quest within the last 10 years. Other than those two, I'm not sure I've revisited any of these in years. And there are still some big movies from '99 that I've never seen: Election; But I'm a Cheerleader; The Blair Witch Project; The Green Mile.

You really ought to see But I'm a Cheerleader. It's a classic. :)

'99 movies I remember liking at the time, with a little help from Google and Letterboxd:
Spoiler :
The 13th Warrior
American Beauty
Any Given Sunday
Being John Malkovich
The Bone Collector
Boys Don't Cry
Bringing Out the Dead
Cruel Intentions
Deep Blue Sea
The End of the Affair
Eye of the Beholder
Eyes Wide Shut
Fight Club
For Love of the Game
Galaxy Quest
Go
The Insider
The Iron Giant
Lake Placid
The Limey
Magnolia
The Matrix

The Mummy
Mystery Men
Office Space
Pushing Tin
The Sixth Sense
Three Kings

Toy Story 2
That's more than I would have thought. I just saw The Iron Giant for the first time a couple of years ago, and I'm sure I rewatched Galaxy Quest within the last 10 years. Other than those two, I'm not sure I've revisited any of these in years. And there are still some big movies from '99 that I've never seen: Election; But I'm a Cheerleader; The Blair Witch Project; The Green Mile.
I've seen six of those movies in your list.

Spoiler :
The 13th Warrior
American Beauty
Any Given Sunday
Being John Malkovich
The Bone Collector
Boys Don't Cry
Bringing Out the Dead
Cruel Intentions
Deep Blue Sea
The End of the Affair
Eye of the Beholder
Eyes Wide Shut
Fight Club
For Love of the Game
Galaxy Quest
Go
The Insider
The Iron Giant
Lake Placid
The Limey
Magnolia
The Matrix
The Mummy
Mystery Men
Office Space
Pushing Tin
The Sixth Sense
Three Kings
Toy Story 2
Wow, Ghost Dog. Now that was a movie with 50% positives and 50% trashiness. No wonder Forest is a scientologist (good actor, though)
Btw, why name your child "forest"? Do you see the rest as trees? :p

Toy Story 2[/spoiler]That's more than I would have thought. I just saw The Iron Giant for the first time a couple of years ago, and I'm sure I rewatched Galaxy Quest within the last 10 years. Other than those two, I'm not sure I've revisited any of these in years. And there are still some big movies from '99 that I've never seen: Election; But I'm a Cheerleader; The Blair Witch Project; The Green Mile.
Office Space was '99? I thought it came out earlier - seems so old now.

Election I recall being very good and not a typical teen movie - young Reese. Egon - can't believe you've not seen The Green Mile - an excellent King movie (more like a Stand by Me or Shawshank than horror). I read the book too. Blair was a huge hit at the time but divisive as well just on the impact of the genre. I enjoyed it but recall in the theatre some folks at the end going WTF! Not sure what the experience would be on the small screen. Won't say more on that other than it is something you just have to experience and you will either like it or not. It spawned all the found footage stuff, so I'm sure you've seen films of that ilk but it was so new in '99.

The Blair Witch Project was very cheap, but it did invest in marketing to make it like people were leaving the theatre in shock.
Is it known if those in the ads were paid actors and not audiences? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom