Which Films have you seen lately? Number K'. Someone was spreading lies about Joseph 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The creators and the studio behind The Blair Witch Project tried to emulate Deodato's 1980 found footage shocker Cannibal Holocaust. And it worked, because very few people who went to see it, were aware of the notorious 1980 film.

The gore and depiction of deaths in Holocaust was so convincingly portrayed, that Deodato was facing serious criminal charges, until he provided evidence to the court that the people in his 'documentary' were paid actors and still very much alive. That's commitment to your film. :lol:

Did any of the BWP main actors work in other movies (and if they did, anything of note?)

When the movie came out, I was living in London (uni studies), and recall a segment in a then popular political comedy show, titled "the Which Blair Project".

Last edited:
One late 90s movie which was huge at the time, but seems to have faded away, was the (Mathew Broderick) Godzilla.
But imo it was better than the more recent Godzilla. Not that I regard it highly or anything.

that 90's Godzilla is considered a commercial and critical flop here though I found it mildly entertaining. Too much time with those baby godzillas in the arena

Oh..Broderick was in Election as well - was trying to think of that earlier.

The girl from Blair was in some things shortly after like a movie or two and maybe a tv show, but her career never seemed to go anywhere. I think her name was Donahue, and I've no clue how I just remembered that right now. The other guys I don't recall doing anything.

Last edited:
I was thinking about how my Top 10 list could look like, so why not write it down :)
In no particular order..

Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Fellowship of the Ring
Angel Heart
Groundhog Day
Terminator (1)
John Carpenter's The Thing
Halloween
Braveheart
The Stöned Age (one fun B movie has to be in there)

No Tarantino sorry Lymond but Pulp Fiction could go in ;)

Did any of the BWP main actors work in other movies (and if they did, anything of note?)

The girl from Blair was in some things shortly after like a movie or two and maybe a tv show, but her career never seemed to go anywhere. I think her name was Donahue, and I've no clue how I just remember that right now. The other guys I don't recall doing anything.

Yep, I also remember seeing Heather Donahue in a dramatic tv-series about UFOs called Taken. I think it was produced by Steven Spielberg. She retired from acting and focused on growing herbs and marihuana, as far as I know. Don't know about the two lads. The trio were not trained film actors when they did BWP, so they might not have had ambitions to pursue a career in that field. Donahue was the only one who had a degree from studying Arts.

Yep, I also remember seeing Heather Donahue in a dramatic tv-series about UFOs called Taken.
exactly what i was trying to think of...I remember now she was in that one. Dakota was in that, right? I recall it being pretty good but can't remember anything about it now.

I was thinking about how my Top 10 list could look like, so why not write it down :)
In no particular order..

Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Fellowship of the Ring
Angel Heart
Groundhog Day
Terminator (1)
John Carpenter's The Thing
Halloween
Braveheart
The Stöned Age (one fun B movie has to be in there)

No Tarantino sorry Lymond but Pulp Fiction could go in ;)
I like that list though, My..........very much ;) ....funny we disagree on a lot too :lol:

A charming thief and a band of unlikely adventurers undertake an epic heist to retrieve a lost relic, but things go dangerously awry when they run afoul of the wrong people. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves brings the rich world and playful spirit of the legendary roleplaying game to the big screen in a hilarious and action-packed adventure.

This Summer, a legend will face his destiny

The name’s Mirage. A new Autobot makes his debut as a legendary Porsche 911 Carrera RS 3.8 in #Transformers: #RiseOfTheBeasts, in theatres June 9. Returning to the action and spectacle that have captured moviegoers around the world, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts will take audiences on a ‘90s globetrotting adventure and introduce the Maximals, Predacons, and Terrorcons to the existing battle on earth between Autobots and Decepticons.

Last edited:
Seen since ... Christmas(?)

Not necessarily in this order, list may be incomplete, your mileage may vary, please refer to the terms and conditions, and consult with your physician regarding possible side-effects

Sucker Punch. When it wasn't boring, it was kinda distasteful. Dunno why I even bothered (well I do, but it wasn't really that, either...)

The Woman King. Good movie, but (apparently, per Wiki) poor history. Watch it like Gladiator in W.Africa, and it works

Heat (rewatch). Suggested this for a family evening, but it wasss sooo muuuuch sloooower thaaaan IIIII reeememberrrrred. Both boys walked out in disgust at the lack of 'action' — ironically, about 5 minutes before the kineticam 20-minute street-shootout started. Plus Al Pacino chewing scenery is always fun...

Day Shift. Daft, but kinda fun

Léon (aka Leon The Professional) (rewatch; but think this might have been the extended version, since it included a couple of "training-montage" scenes I didn't remember). Watched this because I discovered that my wife had never seen it. The 'romance' between Leon and Matilda skated about —>||<— close to icky, but it's clear that Besson knew where to draw the line. Plus Gary Oldman chewing scenery is always fun ;)

Blackfish (docu). An apparently well-earned hit-job on Sea World and its performing-orca program

Wakanda Forever. Good but not great, and also hard to see where/ how/ why it fits in to the MCU to date (Are we on Phase V yet? I've lost track. Or possibly interest)

Chasing Corals (docu). Should be downright scary, for anyone who's hoping the planet stays habitable
Forgot to include (rather unfairly, since it was also directed by Michael Mann, but not quite as drawn-out as Heat):

Collateral.
I'd already seen discontinuous bits of this some years ago — the first victim landing on the taxi, Max tossing Vincent's briefcase off the footbridge, and the confrontation in Annie's office (I'm guessing I was channel-hopping during ad-breaks while watching something else) — but never all the way through. For some reason I had drawn the erroneous conclusion that the office-scene was the climax of the movie. Had no idea that Mark Ruffalo and Javier Bardem were in this, either.

All is Lost (2013) was okay. I kept getting hung up on the fact that I didn't know what the character was doing, most of the time. In the end, I admired rather than liked the choice to not have him talk out loud to himself, for the audience's benefit. That can work, as it did in Cast Away (2000), but in this case, not being privy to the character's thoughts meant I had a harder time following the action.

War of the Worlds (2005) and Zero Dark Thirty (2013) rewatches. I'd forgotten that War came out so long ago (18 years, this June... Jiminy Cricket...). It holds up pretty well. I also forgot it was a Spielberg movie. Probably one of his lesser ones, if I were to rank them, but it's a testament to his skill that one of his lesser movies remains eminently watchable almost 20 years later. Zero was the better of the two. I remember thinking it was just okay, but I definitely liked it more this second time around.

p.s. Quite the all-star cast in Zero Dark Thirty. If you remember the Special Forces team at the end, they could have had their own spinoff movie/series: Chris Pratt, Joel Edgerton, Frank Grillo, Edgar Ramirez, Taylor Kinney, Callan Mulvey and Mike Colter. To name just a few.

I almost hate to say it, but was Dakota Fanning actually a better actor when she was little? I rewatched Man on Fire a little while ago, too. I probably give kids extra credit, subconsciously, but I really did think she was good in those movies. I guess I haven't seen her in a lot, lately. She was in the series The Alienist, which was an adaptation of a book I loved, and the entire series kind of felt like a good effort, but left me feeling unsatisfied, and it wasn't Fanning's fault. Still, after rewatching Man on Fire and War of the Worlds, I liked her more in those two films than I did in The Alienist. I'm looking at her IMDb page now, and there's nothing recent that I'm exactly sprinting to see. She did a movie in 2019 with Wunmi Mosaku and Yahya Abdul-Mateen that I've never heard of: Sweetness in the Belly, a drama set in/around the Ethiopian civil war. That might be worth checking out.

Last edited:
A Knock At The Cabin

A bit disappointed with Shyamalan's latest thriller. First act was the best and also had the only moments, where I felt tension while watching it unfold. I kept waiting for the subtext of the story to come into focus, a theme, anything. Didn't happen; or it did and I just didn't pay attention. The ending felt like a wet fart; I have no idea what to take away from watching this film. I feel nothing. But Bautista was fine here; just a shame that casting an actor with an intimidating physique as the gentle and remorseful Leonard, didn't really serve a purpose here because of the lack of subtext and deeper characterizations.

5/10

Eva you are too generous..
-1/10 for me, one of the most annoying movies ever.
Mister Night is openly laughing at all filmmakers who try putting decent sound, camera etc into their works.

Yeah, Bautista usually delivers.

A word of 'warning' - after we watched it, I pondered about that ending and found out via Wiki that Shyamalan made some pretty big changes in his adaptation. So, anyone familiar with the novel it is based on and perhaps expects this to be a loyal adaptation, prepare yourself in advance.

Don't bother... See above.
I've just read your spoiler so ‘eh’. The Wachowskis didn't want anything to do with it but they were forced to make Resurrections because otherwise the project would've been greenlit with somebody else at the helm.

As you might recall, I took issue with sequelitis when trying to find something to busy my mind during the two-year lockdown (this was triggered by Terminator: Dark Fate :ack:), but so far Star Wars, Warcraft, Terminator are just a few examples of how sterile –in terms of creativity– the sequelitic approach to content making (as well as treating it as ‘content’ instead of an art form) is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom