Which Films have you seen lately? Number K'. Someone was spreading lies about Joseph 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 652170

I need a M3gan toy/mercenary. Now.

How about this?

M3gan was imo an excellent concept with a bland execution. There are many interesting angles into this story, but alas it sort of degraded into Chucky in the third act. Paul Verhoeven would have killed this; the intro fake commercial is like something taken straight from the dark satire of RoboCop and Starship Troopers.

Is Drew B a "thing" any more?

She has kind of semi-retired from acting, focusing on her talk show instead.

She will always be an icon for people of my generation, because of the prologue of Scream.

I honestly don't know if she was ever a 'thing', perhaps before my time?

She will always be an icon for people of my generation, because of the prologue of Scream.

She was a bit of a "thing" after ET when she was like 5.

She was a bit of a "thing" after ET when she was like 5.
Right. And Firestarter a couple of years after that. By the time Scream was made, she was a big enough star that they could just put her in the trailers and make it seem like she was the main character. It was stunt-casting, but it was clever stunt-casting.

I don't think I saw anything after ET.

EDIT: Okay, my curiosity got the better of me. M3GAN has scores of 94%/78% from Rotten Tomatoes and 72/7.0 from Metacritic (critics/audiences, respectively). Plane got 78%/94% from RT and 62/7.0 from Metacritic. So those are both better than I expected. :dunno: I probably still won't go out to a theater to see either of them, but they may end up being streamed sometime this year. (Conversely, it seems like most people agree with you about You People. 45%/42% RT; 50/3.7 Meta.)
RT ratings are the most useless out there..they have "Us" (that Get Out follow up) at 93%.
Easily the worst horror movie i ever started watching if i consider hype & possibilities.

You wouldn't be able to tell looking at the leading actors, Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek... those two look like they haven't aged a day since making that film... they made a deal with the same demon that Tom Brady and Giselle Bundchen dealt with.
Actually, you can tell that Antonio's changed because he now has short hair.

She was in Charlie's Angels, a couple of films with Adam Sandler/Ben Stiller, Whip It… check out her filmography!

Actually, you can tell that Antonio's changed because he now has short hair.

She was in Charlie's Angels, a couple of films with Adam Sandler/Ben Stiller, Whip It… check out her filmography!

Hell I remember her from ET. First movie I remember seeing at the theatre.

Plus Drew is part of an acting legacy going back more than a century. She did luckily survive her "child acting" years, although she had a bit of a bad girl thing going on coming out of her teens for a while and acting in pretty much crap. Then she recovered and achieved a more mainstream adult acting career. That small, but famous, role in "Scream" helped her career immensely.

Although I did not see it, she did have a series on Netflix (I think) not long ago. Some kind of horror-comedy about cannibalism. I think it ran 2 or 3 season.

Last edited:
Yeah, as a Barrymore, she was a big thing pretty much from birth.

ET confirmed her big thing status.

But I don't think she's done any bigger thing than that in the rest of her career. Even the Scream bit.

ET > Scream, I'm pretty sure.

I recently watched America: The Motion Picture, an ahistorical interpretation of the foundation of America. The story is hilarious, and I recommend it to any fan of history that needs a good laugh.

Clerks II

and Clerks III.

As improbable as it is that someone who looked like Rosario Dawson would go for Dante Hicks, I enjoyed both -- though Clerks II moreso than III. I liked the Randal-centered idea of III, but they didn't have to ruin Dante's II ending. Dayum.

How about this?

M3gan was imo an excellent concept with a bland execution. There are many interesting angles into this story, but alas it sort of degraded into Chucky in the third act. Paul Verhoeven would have killed this; the intro fake commercial is like something taken straight from the dark satire of RoboCop and Starship Troopers.
I recall thinking that Alison's facial expressions in the third act were rather bizarre, as if she was in a mockumentary or 4rth wall comedy. It didn't help with immersion ^^
Let alone how explicitly the point had to be driven home about her having a career and being "beautiful, intelligent" etc (M3gan saying that word for word).
And yes, the commercials were the best thing in the movie, reminiscent of Robocop1.

As for Barrymore, afaik her last meaningful role was in Donnie Darko, 20 years ago ^^

Last edited:
Ah yes of course.

She actually had her 'brother' from E.T. Henry Thomas on the talkshow once; Spielberg too.

To me though, my favorite film she was in, is Donnie Darko. Think I have three different releases of that one, because I'm crazy.
Ever After was my favourite Drew Barrymore film. That was peak Drew Barrymore cutesie'ness, aside from E.T. of course. It was Drew Barrymore, Drew Barrymore'ing to the fullest.

Ever After was my favourite Drew Barrymore film. That was peak Drew Barrymore cutesie'ness, aside from E.T. of course. It was Drew Barrymore, Drew Barrymore'ing to the fullest.
That is a good movie, though it's been years since I've seen it. Definitely one of the best Drewie-ist movies.

It was weird for me seeing Herr transition to a decent adult actor.

ET and Firestarter;).

For those who like to complain about the proliferation of superhero movies and the death of independent and mid-budget films - and for anyone who's just a movie fan, superhero or no - it's that time of year: Sundance Film Festival movie reviews.

IndieWire, 31 January 2023 - "Critics Survey: The Best Movies of Sundance 2023, According to 367 Critics"

IndieWire said:
BEST FILM

1. “Fair Play”
2. “Past Lives”
3. “Magazine Dreams”
4. “Rye Lane”
5. “Eileen”
6. “Theater Camp”
7. “Passages”
8. “You Hurt My Feelings”
9. “Infinity Pool”
10. “All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt”

I've added Fair Play, Past Lives, Rye Lane, Eileen, Passages, You Hurt My Feelings and All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt to my watchlist, as well as four others that didn't make this top 10: Radical, Polite Society, Fairyland and Scrapper. Magazine Dreams and Infinity Pool have been polarizing, so I may need to read more about those before making up my mind. This IndieWire list is the first I'm hearing of Theater Camp, so I need to look that one up.

From last year's Sundance festival, I thought these were good: Cha Cha Real Smooth, with Dakota Johnson, last year's winner of the IndieWire critics' poll; Emily the Criminal, with Aubrey Plaza; Nanny, with Anna Diop; and After Yang, with Colin Farrell. I had mixed reactions to Resurrection, with Rebecca Hall & Tim Roth and Watcher, with Maika Monroe & Burn Gorman, but they're both worth seeing if they seem to be your cup of tea. There's a few others from last year that I might still see: Good Luck to You, Leo Grande; God's Country; and Am I Okay? are still in my watchlist, although the last of those isn't available yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom