1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Which game is better: Civ IV or Civ V?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Leathaface, Jul 29, 2018.

?

Which Civilization game is better?

1. Civ IV

33 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. Civ V

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Leathaface

Leathaface Chieftain

I'd like to know what your guys opinion on the matter is. I hear people recommending Civ V all the time yet rarely Civ IV. I think IV is the much better strategy game and that V is a significant downgrade.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

If I enjoyed warring, vote would easily go to Civ 4. But since I just do culture or tech wins, Civ 5 wins for me.

3. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Civ II Obviously!

REDY and FriendlyFire like this.
  4. Ryika

Ryika likes cookies and milk.

If you're looking for a balanced poll from Civ players, then you're in the wrong place here. A large part of the userbase of the OT forums are people who don't even play Civ anymore and haven't played Civ in a while.

With that said, I think both games have things going for them, and they're different enough that I would argue that it's nonsensical to compare them directly and say which one is "better".

Imho, all one can really say is which one plays more into ones own preferences, and for that I would I prefer Civ V.

Snerk and SS-18 ICBM like this.
  5. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Civ4 is the best civ game.

Anyone who disagrees is a dirty console peasant!

Mouthwash, Silurian and Kaitzilla like this.
  6. Ryika

Ryika likes cookies and milk.

CONSOLE peasant?!

THIS is how I prefer my Civ:

7. rah

rah Chieftain Supporter

Finished off a IV game last night. It's still fun and never easy. A six year old could beat V on deity and would be screaming for it to finally end due to boredom. For me its the difference between "one more turn" and "no, not another turn, please"

8. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

The only reason why I dont consider this question scandalous is becouse it is asked by a chieftain. I am agressively voting IV.

Mouthwash likes this.
  9. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I feel like we had this exact thread like a month ago?

10. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald nIGHTMARE

That was comparing all civ games. In that one I said the newer ones are always better, and I still stand by that for the most part (1upt makes the game kinda tedious), so civ5>civ4

Synsensa likes this.
  11. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Civ 4 is better because you can queue builds in your city with like half as many actions as Civ 5, yet Civ 5 came out like five years later.

12. Synsensa

I found queuing to be an utter nightmare in Civs 3 and 4, but very easy in Civ 5.

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I mean, it objectively takes fewer actions to queue in Civ 4 (can't recall about 3). That's not a matter of opinion.

Hygro likes this.
  14. Synsensa

How? Queuing in Civ 5 is two clicks.

15. danjuno

danjuno Keeper of Ancient Memes

I've come to terms with the whole hexagons thing, but 1 UPT is utter heresy.

I've heard VI has a thing where you can combine units into a single army that can fit on a tile, but I think a simple attrition penalty for SoDs like Europa Universalis makes more sense.

16. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Click into city screen
    Click a build item to get something in the slot
    Click the queue checkbox
    Click items you want to add to the queue

That's more than two. And if you want to change the order of your builds, forget it. In Civ 4 it's one click into the city screen, then ctrl-click to place something at the beginning of the build queue, or shift-click to place it at the end.

SS-18 ICBM likes this.
  17. rah

rah Chieftain Supporter

:) thanks. Learn something new everyday.

18. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

I never played IV so I can't comment too much on that other than unit stacking seems weird to me. Say you have 5 military units on the same tile and you order them to attack. Do they attack all at once? Is there a sequence? Can you order only some to attack others not to?

I liked V but the final version of the base game needed a significant rebalancing. 4 city tall, rationalism/traditionalism, ranged units for defense each game was boring.

I like VI in terms of balance much better. But there aren't any build queues unless you download a mod. :rolleyes:

19. rah

rah Chieftain Supporter

Only a single unit attacks at any one time. You can select which unit to attack with. You can turn on the stack attack option for ease of attack (big in MP since it was an advantage) but the attack sequence is still one unit at a time. It is more common to select a group and attack with that entire group. i.e. all your siege units, then all you city raider melee units, then clean up with whats left. etc.

BenitoChavez likes this.
  20. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Using queue-fu has drastically decreased the amount of time I spend in Civ 4's "You built something! Choose what to build next" pop-up menus.