1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Game Speed Best Suits You?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by OzzyAlyanak, Mar 18, 2006.

?

Game Speed

Poll closed Apr 8, 2006.
  1. Quick

4.0%
  2. Normal

24.9%
  3. Epic

37.3%
  4. Marathon

33.9%
  1. balthamael

balthamael Warlord

Epic. Occasionaly play Marathon.

2. Drakken

Drakken Warlord

Even pre 1.52 I was playing at marathon speed. Cuz that is the way I modded it. It really does allow the use of tech before it is outdated. I am so glad to see others love it as well.

I think a marathon fan club should get together so we can actually play marathon type games online. Is it possible to save MP games and rejoin them later?

3. migthegreek

migthegreek Back In Black

I usually play domination victory, so I think anything longer than normal game speed would mean I'd have to play the same game for 4 months. My games take too long as it is (30-50 hours). I think I'd get seroiusly bored.

I haven't tried anything other than normal yet, for that reason.

4. Reprisal

Reprisal Warlord

I voted Normal, though I could easily have voted Epic. Marathon takes too freakin' long to get anything done, so I couldn't vote for that. I did, however, play a Marathon game with Raging Barbarians once, only once though.

5. ditb

ditb Keeper of the Work Wives

So far I have only played on Normal. Maybe I'll go marathon and turn myself into a warmonger.

:p

Dave

6. sela1s1son

sela1s1son King

I concur, Civilization is a game that needs to be long enough you could spin a yarn or few about it... each yarn being on the level of the Odyssey and Illiad.

7. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Warlord

I tried Marathon the other day and it bored me senseless, so back to Epic for me!

8. Equisilus

Equisilus Unlikely

Okay, after reading a bunch of other posts here, I've decided to switch to Epic for the game I'm currently playing and I have to agree that I'm liking it quite a bit more than Normal, so far. It took some getting used to, since research takes longer and I was astonished at the turn times for some, until I remembered I was on Epic. Heh. ;)

Might stick with Epic for now on.

9. J.Rose

J.Rose Prince

I only play marathon now. Seems like you get more bang for your buck.

10. Panda

Panda Metal head

I enjoy playing Civ the most when playing at marathon speed.

11. Shadowsong

Shadowsong Rumour

For me it is Epic or Marathon. Marathon for conquest or domination, Epic for any other victories.

12. A_Turkish_Guy

A_Turkish_Guy EminC

marathon for better scores

13. RomanHoliday

RomanHoliday Kibitzer

AsnoT captured my feelings exactly; Civ is not a game I turn to for quick fun. If I went any faster, I find the world passes me by in one war (by war, I mean from "declaration of war" to achieving my objectives). Too many technologies pass (including upgrade techs) and other civs build up in my absence (Wonders, spaceship, etc).

14. Black Waltz

Black Waltz Prince

I started playing on Standard mode. But I couldn't shake the feeling that it didn't feel like Civ. Turns passed far too quick. Eras came and went. You don't seem to get that feeling on Epic. So far that is the time period I have stayed on. A bit worried about going to Marathon.

15. GrandMatt

GrandMatt Warlord

Epic is an awesome speed, where it is not too fast and not too slow either! It is rather interesting however to see the poll is rather balanced from people on normal to marathon! With roughly the same amounts on each.

16. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Marathon with 450 research rate...

17. Columbkille

Columbkille Chieftain

Marathon seems to be the best in my opinion. It gives you a chance to use those praetorians before you move on to other units. :D :goodjob: :king:

18. VeXeD

VeXeD Chieftain

I usaully play epic, But evenm in epic, Your special Units don't seem to last in the early games, becore they are absolute.

Have played a few marathon, Nothign like hitting "enter" 15 times just to get your first warrior. HEHEHE!!! But it is fun for war times.

19. OzzyAlyanak

OzzyAlyanak Chieftain

Waow, so many people playing in Marathon....
    You guys definitely have the time and patience then...

20. The Tyrant

The Tyrant Prince

What? There are speeds other than Marathon? :)

EDIT: LOL! I just looked at my post, then at my sig below it ("Give me Praetorians and I'll give you the world"). See, that is why I play Marathon. In faster speeds, units become obsolete before you can use them.