1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which God Would You Follow/Worship? (not which civ)

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by jimi12, Mar 24, 2008.

?

Which God Would You Follow/Worship? (not which civ)

1. Lugus

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Sirona

18 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Nantosuelta

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Sucellus

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Amathaon

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Junil

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  7. Kilmorph

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Oghma

21 vote(s)
    13.4%
  9. Cernunnos

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. Arawn

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  11. Dagda

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. Tali

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  13. Danalin

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  14. Camulos

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  15. Aeron

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  16. Ceridwen

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  17. Mammon

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  18. Esus

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  19. Mulcarn

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  20. Agares

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  21. Bhall

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  22. The One

30 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. jimi12

jimi12 Half Jedi

I think i would have to go with lugus. lugus seems to actually care about his followers, like me.

second choice would probably be dagda, god of balance or force. being the god of balance connotes that he would be fair and reasonable with his followers, not being tyrannical or fanatical such as junil.

2. rusty217

rusty217 Veil Fanatic

Agares.

He is more often than the others reffered to as the most powerful of the gods, and by looking at the Ashen Veil description it seems he would provide power for a small sacrifice...

3. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

Sirona because she is the wisest of the gods, and she too cares for her worshippers.

4. jimi12

jimi12 Half Jedi

i think following agares would be a big gamble seeing as how you go to the heaven of whatever u worshipped while you were alive. i dont know if i would want to spend eternity in hell even if i was in hell's version of middle management.

5. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Sirona, although Lugus wouldn't be bad either. I've always imagined they get along very well (Truth and Wisdom are closely related) and that the priests of one probably have some reverence for the other as well.

6. rusty217

rusty217 Veil Fanatic

True, but if Agares ends up winning then everyones going to be going to hell, and those who helped Agares would be better off than those who didn't....

7. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

I don't think Agares can win. If worst comes to worst, The One will just destroy creation and start over. Fittingly enough, the God of Despair is fighting a losing battle, and he knows it. His actions are more along the lines of an elaborate protest than an actual uprising. He knows he's going to be damned, and he wants to bring down everyone else with him, so that when he stands before The One at the end of all things, he can gesture at his followers and declare, "See? It's not my fault! Your creation was inherently flawed from the very beginning!"

From what I've heard of the lore, the Veil has three types of followers: Fools who have made short-sighted bargains for power, cowards who are willing to damn countless others if it will put off their own suffering, and nihilists who honestly want the world to end. Agares is the metaphysical embodiment of despair: He does not reward people in the long run.

8. MagisterCultuum

Do you really think that Agares could defeat THE ONE? From what the Luonnatar say, eventually a day of judgment is coming, and what "heaven" or "hell" you are in at the time wouldn't matter. Assuming (not saying the assumption is correct) that you would be treated better in his hell if you helped him, it would still probably be horrible suffering, and when The One returns and othersare saved and brought to the true Heaven, I suspect you would be left out.

Agares doesn't really have any hope of victory in the long run. He is just trying to take everyone down with him, so he can claim that The One's design was flawed and that his shortcomings are not his fault. He is the Angel of Despair now after all. Misery loves company.

9. jimi12

jimi12 Half Jedi

and say you DO follow agares and he wins, there is not garauntee that you will have ANY power. there is always somebody who prayed and sacrificed more or did more to bring about the end of the world so in the end you may end up as just another mane. i would assume it is a very elite, very small number of mortals that actually do end up in any position of authority in agares hierarchical structure.

i think following The One would be boring. because really, if you follow the one then when he comes he will take you to his heaven but the same is true of everybody who followed the good gods so you may as well worship nantosuelta or amathaon since your eventual fate will more or else be the same and you would have a deity that could benefit you now, unlike the luonnator. (except for occasional protection from the one)

10. rusty217

rusty217 Veil Fanatic

Yes, I think Agares has a chance of defeating the One. Was Mulcarn not destroyed by a being that he had the power to create? Couldn't it be the same for the One.

Wouldn't it be better to worship a real god, rather than puppets to the evil One. Which is more evil? Giving 20 children a toy for an hour and then taking it away, or keeping that toy and sharing it with the other 19?

And besides Agares were to lose then by worshipping Agares you would have more power on Erebus (like the Veil Ritualists..), and if you were to die and go to his hell the suffering would only be temporary as creation would be destroyed anyway.

And even if he won and you were put in a meagre position, wouldn't the satisfaction of glorius battle against many opponents and being on the side to beat the one be enough....

Oh, and atleast if Agares won you would still exist. The One is probably as likely to destroy EVERYTHING and start over completely as taking everything back to the "real" heaven...

11. DharmaMcLaren

DharmaMcLaren Chieftain

Sucellus because... well, I just love the whole FoL/nature gods thing.

12. Tyrs

Tyrs Chieftain

See, the problem with worshiping Agares is that, you have to sacrifice people. Kinda selfish, a little bit mean. To use the above analogy, I'd rather follow the parent then spend my time so worried about temporary toys. I'd worship the One first and foremost, because it's correct. The One is the one ACTUAL God, all the rest are just angels who have been up to their own business to long. If I were to chose one of the angels, I think I'd go with Sirona, if I can't have THE truth I might as well worship the abstract concept of it.

13. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

You're making an important mistake here. Kylorin didn't kill Mulcarn. The Godslayer killed Mulcarn. Kylorin was merely the instrument that delivered the Godslayer to Mulcarn. And the Godslayer is merely the physical manifestation of an accord between all twenty-one gods, including Mulcarn. You could say that, in a sense, Mulcarn killed himself, as his twenty comrades rained killing blows upon him.

----

I'd have to say that I personally wouldn't worship The One. Sure, he's the one true god, but he doesn't seem to mind people worshipping the angels. I'd revere him if I knew about him, but I wouldn't be like the Luonnatar. The trouble is that The One is mostly irrelevant to the average Erebusian. He's the overdeity and the father of creation, true, but he's basically a god of deism: He created the multiverse, then stepped back and watched things go on their own course. Yes, he'll eventually return, but for now he's mostly an interesting historical note (unless you're the Luonnatar--I'd love to be one of those guys, but I'm assuming we're not important religious figures). The other gods could actually affect me and my life.

I'd have to go with Sirona. Spirit's a pretty good sphere to concern yourself with. Besides, she's pretty nice to her followers, and I know we're not supposed to factor civs into this, but if her most devout disciples are the Elohim, that's a pretty big plus as far as I'm concerned.

14. Ur_Vile_Wedge

Ur_Vile_Wedge Chieftain

I'm not saying I would worship Oghma, but I think my general regard to life, in that almost everything is at some level a puzzle to be understood and then "solved" fits in with his philosophies rather well.

15. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

Arawn. Technically, worshipping him wouldn't do me any good. But I'd probably show him respect and end up in his realm.

16. MagisterCultuum

You could also disrespect him and end up in his realm. He doesn't really control how things will be for you there anyway, you do. Or rather, your subconscious mind does, since "your dreams come true" in the netherworld.

17. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

I never said the two were connected.
    I'd show him respect because I'm fond of the idea of a god that doesn't meddle about and screw things up, but keeps things working in a neat and orderly fashion from behind the scenes.
    I'd end up in his realm because I wouldn't be serving another god. Although in the world of the living, I might dedicate some time towards mastering my subconscious as well...

18. Mailbox

Mailbox Chieftain

For some reason, I've always had a soft spot for Mulcarn. Even though his disciples have to stay overnight in freezing water, I think that his style is very fitting. Besides, it's not like anyone else worships him and I'm sure he appreciates what little worship he does get. His entry in the AoI pedia is depressing because it's obvious he was never thanked for what work he did do.

All of this is Age of Ice or before (maybe post-resurrection as well :p).

19. MagisterCultuum

Yeah, Mulcarn's not too bad (probbaly the best choice among the "evil" gods anyway). And (post resurrection) he is the only god who really knows what it is like to be human...

20. Kael

Kael Chieftain

Extremly weird poll. I would base my decision on the quality of the heaven they offered, like a divine retirement plan. I would probably pick Amathaon, I like the line abotu him in Buboes pedia entry and it makes me imagien that his heaven is a cheerful interesting place that I could spend centuries discovering. Sirona, Nantosuelta and Sucellus's heavens would probably be nice too.

Oghma's heaven would be nice, it was a world covered with artifacts and vast twisting library's, where people spent their time studying, talking about ideas or in quiet comtemplation. But it was invaded by demons during the Age of Ice and was a battleground during the Age of Rebirth. So I'd be lookign for a less volitle heaven.

This is all assuming I had complete knowledge of the gods/worlds and heavens. Few, if any, people in erebus actually know this stuff so they aren't able to make these kinds of decisions.