1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which God Would You Follow/Worship? (not which civ)

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by jimi12, Mar 24, 2008.

?

Which God Would You Follow/Worship? (not which civ)

1. Lugus

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Sirona

18 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Nantosuelta

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Sucellus

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Amathaon

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Junil

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  7. Kilmorph

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Oghma

21 vote(s)
    13.4%
  9. Cernunnos

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. Arawn

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  11. Dagda

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. Tali

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  13. Danalin

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  14. Camulos

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  15. Aeron

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  16. Ceridwen

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  17. Mammon

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  18. Esus

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  19. Mulcarn

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  20. Agares

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  21. Bhall

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  22. The One

30 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

I don't think you can tie them to the Seven Deadly Sins. Agares, for instance, is Despair, which (strangely enough) isn't considered a Deadly Sin. Also, he's got the last Hell, so ideally you'd be stripped of all Pride by the time you face him. Aeron has the Body sphere, which has enough connections to the Calabim that you could consider him to be Gluttony, except he's also pretty clearly associated with Rage/Wrath. I've no idea what Ceridwen would be. Kylorin's entry in AoI mentions that she's associated with Pain, and her main temptation is "I can get you to be with your wife" (Lust? Pride? A perversion of Love?).

As far as I can tell we have:

Mulcarn: Lack of convictions
    Mammon: Greed
    Camulos: Chaotic rage (as opposed to righteous anger)
    Agares: Despair
    Esus: Treachery
    Aeron: Wrath, gluttony, or else just giving into "bodily urges" (which would cover Lust as well)
    Ceridwen: I haven't the slightest clue
    Bhall: Shares a Hell with Agares now

Of course, Mulcarn's Hell is the "highest Hell," so we can assume that most people end up there. I'm not sure if that means "If you're evil, you need to really focus on a particular Evil God to get to their Hell" or simply "most people tend to lack convictions."

2. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

Errr, you don't go to a particular hell. You go through each hell starting at Mulcarns (the highest hell) and ending up in Agares'. Its how people are transformed into manes, gradually becoming more evil as they progress. Of course, some of the really evil people get to skip the first few hells ;).

3. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Trying to stick to the seven deadly sins?

I really don't see what gluttony has to do with Ceridwen.

Aeron's "Lust" would probably include pretty much all physical desires/base emotions, including wrath and gluttony.

Edit: Actually, you do go a particular hell, but don't stay there. You start at the level that most exemplifies your chief vice, and go down from there. It is also possible to work your way back up by demonstrating virtue, but that is much harder. Most people skip Mulcarn's hell. Mammon's hell has far more new arrivals from Creation than any of the others.

4. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

I'm just wondering how common it is to "skip" the first few Hells. For instance, I imagine a shopkeeper who embezzles money and cheats his clients wouldn't go straight to Mammon: He's ultimately just too lacking in conviction to care who he hurts. The Evil Corporate CEO who crushes countless lives to retire wealthy, only to discover that money does not give him happiness, and so in a rage he locks the doors of his palace, traps himself, his trophy wife, and his servants inside, and burns everything to the ground, on the other hand...

5. rusty217

rusty217 Veil Fanatic

Well with what is in the Tar demon entry, would those in Mulcarn's hell actually go further down to become a mane, since they would already be a demon....

Or is that just a temporary thing because Mulcarn is absent from he hell?

Or is that only those that were not evil enough to deserve a proper place in any of the hells and not good enough to deserve a place in any neutral or good vaults, thus lacking conviction to any particular vault?

6. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

I figure that Tar Demons are considered to be even more pathetic than Manes. They probably just aren't that efficient: A single Tar Demon could be made from the boiled souls of thousands of mortals. They'd prefer it if you went on to the next Hell and eventually became a Mane. It's just that, occasionally, when they scrape all the sticky black goop out of Mulcarn's run-down Hell, some of it falls through a Planar Gate...

7. wilboman

wilboman Hibernorse Frost Giant

I think I would worship Kilmorph, based on the tablets of Bambur discussion. A religion that focused on your near and dear ones, making money through hard work, and avoiding wastefulness, would suit me nicely.

8. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm The Nobody

And after they become demons in Agares's hell do they become those which are the type of the hell they started in?
    (except that it doesn't work.. or does it? Ruhin would be likely to go to Esus's hell in the beginning but where would the others start in? And is their power related to the starting hell, but then Esus should be lower than others... I got confused now. Could someone wiser tell me what it's about?)

9. hossam

hossam Chieftain

i would worship agares to burn all those good doers with my infernal powers , get killed and come back as a demon and kill even more good doers :evil: .altough if mulcarn wasnt dead ( or more appropriately if i didnt think he was dead) i would have worshipped him he always seemed pretty cool, not to evil when compare to the other evil gods.

10. Caragus

Caragus Chieftain

I would definitely worship the One

11. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

I would worship Oghma... to me heaven is a infinite library that i can do all sorts of research and experiments in...

12. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

I don't get why so many people would worship the one. There is simply no reason to.

1. Most people don't even know about the One
    2. Even most of the people who do know about him probably doubt his actual existance, whereas the existance of angels and other Gods is pretty much common knowledge.
    3. There are no rewards during your life for worshipping him, other then the unreliable fact that other gods may be wary to use magic to harm you.
    4. There is no heaven for his worshippers so you'd just be stuck in arawn's realm.

13. Fenboy

Fenboy Chieftain

Because we as players, metagame like crazy? ;)

Seriously though, putting the One in this poll was probably a poor choice that has distorted the results. As Kol.7 says above, how likely are you, as an average peasant or craftsman in Erebus, to have even heard of the One? Even discussing his existence is heretical in most civilisations, and even Cassiel views the outright worship of the One as distasteful.

14. wilboman

wilboman Hibernorse Frost Giant

I think it is hard to divorce oneself from our world view. According to us, the One is the equivalent of God, while all the other gods are, in fact, false gods. So I'd say most people have trouble resigning themselves to the idea of worshipping a "false god".

15. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

Actually, while I previously voted Arawn, the more I think about it, the more I realize I'd actually be likely to worship Esus.
    I'm a secretive fellow, and hell, I admit, a bit paranoid. I encrypt anything that might be of even minor use to a would-be identity thief or blackmailer. I'm the sort who frequently checks his own internet footprint to make sure it's plenty small, and that connecting the dots is a difficult task. So I'd do well among the shadowy followers and disciples of Esus.

16. loocas

loocas Chieftain

That's a good point. I think people also tend to empathize with Cassiel because he's "right."

17. Milosrdenstvi

Milosrdenstvi Chieftain

Does it seem to anyone else that the only neutral gods are Dagda, Arawn, and maybe Oghma?

18. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

They're definetly the most actively neutral. But I recall that Tali, Kilmorph, Danalin, and Cernunnos are also neutral. I've heard little of Tali, save that she (I think it was she, anyways, although I'm unsure) is something of a trickster. Danalin is neutral, but he's fast asleep and his dreams are being corrupted by the archangel of the evil Mammon. (His "religion," the Octopus Overlords, is neutral or evil only... I would imagine neutral civs would embrace Danalin's aspect more, while evil civs would embrace Mammon's.) Likewise, while basically benevolent, Kilmorph is still a neutral goddess; she doesn't demand goodness and righteousness from her followers, although her codes forbid outright cruelty and malevolence. Whereas Junil is considered truly good because he demands that his followers fight evil wherever they find it, a follower of Kilmorph would have no religious qualms about selling a war machine to the Infernals. Cernunnos, if I understand it properly, is mostly in the maintenance business. He's not even a proper god, but a promoted archangel. He just makes sure nature runs as it should. The Fellowship of Leaves doesn't worship him so much as his handiwork, and they can interpret the message of nature in many different ways without a god stepping in and correcting them.

19. loocas

loocas Chieftain

I think Milosrdenstvi meant "neutral" as not interfering with anything. In which case Danalin should be added to that short list, since he was so passive when awake. Kilmorph and Cernunnos, however, are very opinionated about the affairs of angels and mankind.

20. Milosrdenstvi

Milosrdenstvi Chieftain

Yes, what I meant was that even though Tali, Kilmorph, Danalin, and Cernunnos are technically neutral, they don't really act that way: Tali is at least slightly evil; Danalin is not purposefully evil but for all intents and purposes he is; Kilmorph always seemed to support the virtue side of things to me; and Cernunnos also seems to be more about preserving life on Erebus than anything else. So I suppose I mean they-all seem more neutral than the 'good' and 'evil' but less purely neutral than Dagda, Arawn, and Oghma.