Which gov. is the right one????

RedBaron635

Chieftain
I can say for sher.. I perfer Communisam but all govs have ther up and down points.. I wold like to hear what yall have to say.. im not to good at civ 3 but i just won a game with a cultural victory.. i did have all the wonders of the world..... :) o.. one more thing how do i privent war in the modern age [ ther r way to many] and have more in the older ages with out me starting them:egypt:

i wold allso like to hear u thots on the best spceal unit.. and how do i set up polls??????

thx

Which government is right depends on exactly how you play.

If you are more a peaceful player and concentrate on building, go with a republic/democracy government. The exception to this is later on in the game, if you have outflung cities some distance away from your capital/forbidden palace, communism might be better.

If you are more a warlike player, monachy is better as it has no war-weariness. Again communism can be used instead here, but it's effects are generally only useful after you have hospitals (for military benefit) and you can host a much larger army.

To avoid wars, you need to build a large military and try to keep good diplomatic status with people. Use MPP's but not too many, try to tie some powerful allies to you. Don't break treaties (try to keep a good rep). This may help, but still anticipate backstabbing, the AI doesn't always think the same as we do.

And there's no problem in starting wars neither. And you can't really promote war between 2 other countries without an alliance involving you.

If you want to make a special units poll, try the general discussion forum, and i'm pretty sure it's just an option when you create the thread.

Thx for the tip.. and one more thing how u get the civ men on the side of ur posts???

thx

Monarchy is the best government IMO. Republic has no unit support, and generates a lot less income then democracy because you switch from despotism to it, in late Ancient/early-Middle ages. You have only a few marketplaces, so you are forced to disband a lot of your units. Then the AI will just bully you non-stop and try to demand things from you. Monarchy is best when you have several cities larger than size 6. Then you get alot of free units, and still generate a good amount of income and science. And with a large army you can just demand techs from the AI by beating them down.

To get the picture/ avatar thingy under our names, you have to get more than 10 posts. Then go to the User CP, the little red button near the top-right corner of the page, and go to "Edit Options" and at the bottom of the page there is the change avatar box, which will open a new window and you can select what you want.

Republic, as long as you don't care to give stuff away in order to avoid war. With republic you can go to war for longer periods of time, with little penalty.
Monarchy is problematic because you have little gold so you must station troops in inner cities in order to keep people happy

Monarchy for sure... As for what marshal zhukov has said about Monarchy they ARE right. Yet, I find that 1 troop per 6 pop keeps them pretty happy. I generally use spearman produced from capitol (ussually the most inner city) or even better horseman, that I upgrade to knights and then kick butt. I must say though, that currently I have 1 unit per 12 pop in all my towns under monarchy and I have no corruption, waste, and all my people are rather happy. Yet, this is probably due to the fact that I have about 8 lux. and 6 more which I am trading. They love it, just give them their dyes and you can mess wit them. As for the gold problem... Being in a war, always, I find that gold can be very useful for rushing troops. When my size two town is getting attacked by my enemy it is here that I wish I had stayed in depotism... I am able to avoid any monatary issues by playing with the tax sliders and, if really needed, setting a town to wealth or increasing their commerace for a turn or two... Micromanagement really goes a long way...

On a side note... I hated Republic and switched back after about five turns in it. You can't screw with the other civs as much while in a government ran by the people and that sux. Besides, when I am moving my boats around I like to hollar "I'm Queen/King of the world!"... Then some A##wipe comes and sinks my boat.

I agree with Bobgote. It's all what your trying to accomplish in the game. Or more of how your trying to accomplish it.

There is a page somewhere on the homepage here that shows the different aspects of the different governments. Check it out.

Democracy, period. By the time you get it, war weariness is a thing of the past or the slow. So long as you do not declare any wars, and you have enough of a military to support your decisions what ever they may be, your wars sill be over in 5 turns or less, before anyone has a chance to react. Learn from the real germans in WWII, blitzkreig. Hit em hard and fast and little else will matter.
But that said any government will work fine, except republic and anarchy. I have won a space race on monarch without ever switching governments, it all depends on how big of risks you are willing to take.

Ok. Here is what i generally do (especially with a religious civ). The way I play is more a builder game, and when i have wars, it is usually just the short, 20 turns or less. I generally try to make peace asap. (or until I destroy someone) I only go to war when either someone declares war on me, or one of my closer allies asks me to do so.

I research monarchy fairly early on, and make the switch from despotism as soon as possible. The reason for this is that monarchy is similar to despotism, but better. More military police and no negative food/production/economy.

I will stay in a monarchy until I feel I havea well developed nation. If I am a religous civ, i may include a change to republic, but generally I skip straight from monarchy to democracy. Before you make this switch you need to make sure you are well developed economically, as you will have no unit support in democracy, it'll all come out of the treasury. I find democracy the best for me because the bonuses to production (150%) and economy make it worth my while to change.

Just recently tho, i am beginning to change my playing style to deal with the added difficulty in monarch. I need to increase my military power. This means I stay in monarchy longer, and am starting to experiment with communism.

For communism to work you need to have
a) a large empire
b) hospitals in you major towns (towns <= 12 give you 4 unit support, towns >12 give you 8 unit support)
c) courthouses and police stations in most towns to reduce corruption.

communism means you can support a larger military. under communism, all corruption is shared, this means you don't have some huge production cities, and others with so much corruption they can't do anything. All cities will have similar corruption rates, so your outer fringe cities will be able to build, but your "main" cities won't have as much as they did.

Communism used to be crap because it had too much corruption, but one of the patches fixed it a bit, so i think it's feasible now, but still experimenting. I suggest you read about the governments in the Civilopedia, but more importantly, experiment with them in a difficulty level you can stand to see what works best for you.

Also sorry about the length. I got started and couldn't stop :D

I thought i'd put this in a different post....

Originally posted by Fistandantilus
Democracy, period. By the time you get it, war weariness is a thing of the past or the slow. So long as you do not declare any wars, and you have enough of a military to support your decisions what ever they may be, your wars sill be over in 5 turns or less, before anyone has a chance to react. Learn from the real germans in WWII, blitzkreig. Hit em hard and fast and little else will matter.

I don't know what difficulty level your playing at, but i've found war weariness in monarch difficulty to be a big problem. I have not had a war go that short every time either. Sometimes you can take one town and then force peace, but many times they firstly won't talk to you for 5 turns or so, then when you want to make peace, they'll make ludicrous demands, even though you're more powerful.

Any war with a significant civ will take a while to win (or lose) so be prepared for the war weariness.

Monarchy and communism are both similiar, Monarchy is more suited to development though. However you can go into a fury and pop rush everything in communism and rush forth with a slew of newly constructed units.

Republic vs Democracy.

Republic
Pros: Much less war weariness which means you can actually *attack* an enemy and benefit from the war.

Democracy
Pros: Slightly(very small) improvment in corruption. This isn't all that important since it is so minor.

Main Pro: Faster workers, this helps if you aren't the motivated industrial type civ.

Republic is a safer bet than democracy since it can't collapse from war weariness and can sometimes fight. Democracy is purely developmental and tries to avoid combat at even a high price.

Republic if you want to fight a bit or will be attack and democracy if you plan to rush forth into a spaceship and are safe from....:nuke:

I might just add a bit to Free Enterprise's stuff on republic/democracy. In lower difficulty levels, you can't really see the war weariness. At monarchy and higher, even republic will have noticeable war weariness (I didn't start the war, and after 20 turns, I was losing a lot of happiness in people).

In the monarchy/communism area, they are similar in some cases, but in general, communism will (i think) be better in a large, de-centralized empire, with good infrastructure (courthouses, police stations, marketplace, bank, library, university to name a few key pieces). I am still experimenting here. Under a good empire in communism, you can support a larger military. If you are military at all, it can be useful.

Democracy is best, it gives you more perks than the others.

For wartime, Republic is best. It still gives you many of the perks, and you can make war forever if you have some happiness aids (like the Chapel and Universal).

However, I never change governments just because I'm in a war. Either shorten the war or move the happiness slider over. You will still make more money than if you change governments.

Originally posted by Allemand
For wartime, Republic is best. It still gives you many of the perks, and you can make war forever if you have some happiness aids (like the Chapel and Universal).
Say what?? war forever?? are you playing the same game that I am??

Gotta be republic - although I sometimes do monarchies early, say until 800-1200 AD. Why republics? Well, balance - if I'm not a republic, I find something suffers inevitably: money, science, or happiness from the constant attacks of the AI. The imbalance in each case is not worth the hassle.

R.III

I've found that playing more assertively in the early to mid game combined with Democracy in the later game can pay off. (I genrally play on a map with about 3 continents, so strategy may be different for others.)

Take down one or two civilizations (capture, do not raze, their cities) by end of the Middle Ages. Try to seize, or at least dominate a full continent. If you can get a solid nation with defensible borders by the Industrial Age, Democracy will give you a booming economy.

Use this economic engine to feed itself and build a strong military. Keep your military as modern as possible, upgrade or disband anything out of date - they just waste money. If war does come knocking, you can defend yourself fairly well. If you desire (or need) to take the war to your enemy, be ready to move fast and hit hard. Do not let yourself get bogged down, but don't let the enemy get behind you, either. Get behind HIM. Bog HIM down.

It is best to avoid foreign entanglements; use protection pacts and alliances only when necessary. With a strong and stable nation, I've found it's fairly easy to reach a space victory.

Of course, there are so many variables in this game that your milage may vary. I hope that I've provided some ideas, though.

-Dearnen

Top Bottom