Which government and when?

berserks01

Obviously Very Confused
Do you switch governments when you go to war and when you are at peace? Or do you only switch to the government you want and stay at it throughout the game?

In either case, which government is best for which situation?

I usually go for democracy and stay there throughout. I don't want to waste 4-6 turns in anarchy just to go to war and another 4-6 turns to go back to peace time.

I switch to Republic immediately when I get it. Then, stay there until the game ends.

:D

"which government and when"

-"Republic and Always" :p

Well close to always.

For 100k i am not sure, a pop rush government might be better last sgotm proved that despotism is pretty good for 100k.

For space/UN victory certainly republic.

For normal war victories certainly republic,
for always war variants maybe monarchy.

Republic and always.

Unless you're playing an absurd variant:

Monarchy for NOW and AW.
Fuedalism for FRFR.
Communism for 100K.
Democracy for (maybe) no military.
Fascism for ummmm....... umm.... umm.... no idea.
Anarchy for 5CCC in the late modern age, when maintainence is crippling you, and you don't need any more troops.

What I have been doing in my last few games is getting to Monarchy ASAP for the food and production bonus over despotism. My reasoning is that I can get to it faster than republic and start fighting sooner. Then I have been fighting wars on my continent until it is mostly all under my control. Only then will I have another revolt to republic or democracy, but mostly its been republic. Its been working failry well, I think it lest you get a jump on the ai sooner.

The problem with going for Monarchy ASAP is that the techs on the Monarchy branch aren't very good. Besides, there are the same number of techs on the way to Monarchy as the way to Republic if you get Philo first and take CoL.

I am going to try some tests in the future by going the other way; republic first and then compare. You have to get the slingshot though, for the number to be even, if not you lose out. In my experience it has been possible to achieve monarchy by 600-800BC, but republic can take up to 100 BC, gerenally speaking, given my play ability.

I think that the techs on the way to republic cost more (take longer to research). The monarchy path includes warrior code, not useless. It also includes a few nice wonders. Start with a religious civ, and you have a head start.

I just got done playing a few games using Egypt & Maya at emporer and now france at DG. I am satisfied with the results.

Oh wait, I completely forgot that you need Warrior Code for Monarchy!

That means you need WC, CB, Myst, and Poly for Monarchy, and Alpha, Writing, Philo, and CoL for Republic, not counting the slingshot.

If you start with Alphabet but not Warrior Code or Ceremonial Burial, Republic is probably faster.

Did you ever notice that no civ in conquests starts with both ceremonial burial AND warrior code, but you can get almost any other combination?

I think the WC CB combo would be too powerful, leading to monarchy even sooner.

I think some civs are just suited more towards monarchy first over republic, and some are geared towards republic.

I think the no WC-CB civ thing was a mistake they forgot when they changed the Aztecs to MIL-AGR, but left Japan as MIL-REL, but kept the Wheel...

I tend to like monarchy better than republic--I play demigod games on huge maps--Im lucky if I have two luxuries, and really need the mp funtion of warriors to keep my cities functional, I also tend to need tons of workers if Im not industrious which makes monarchy mandatory for my terraforming period--I also like to keep and use a large army so republic isnt really my style.

Ive toyed with fuedalism and it seems a bit too one dimensional for me as by the time its available to me many of my cities are close to a population of 6--it really discourages growth and dictates that you play a simple minded cash and carry kinda game--which I dont enjoy.

I usually just sit with monarchy until the game is over.

In ptw or regular civ3 Id pick a religious civ just so I could switch governments like a pair of socks--the one turn anarchy made it possible to use and abuse democracy, but in c3c it seems the anarchy period is only slightly shorter for religious civs and thus not worth it to me.

Darn it! Who keeps playing these difficulty levels higher than Sid? I've had a great number of wars in Republic on Sid and it's just not that bad. What are these higher difficulty levels people keep talking about?

BTW, commerce for Republic under max war weariness (with lux tax) is the same as Monarchy. Commerce for Republic under less than max war weariness is superior. Shields are always better under Republic.

Arathorn

Not a big fan of early Monarchy. Unit supoort drops from 4 to 2 most everywhere. Yeah, you get more MPs but I prefer using the lux slider for happiness.

I'm pretty much like everyone else here: Republic uber alles.

Arathorn said:
Darn it! Who keeps playing these difficulty levels higher than Sid? I've had a great number of wars in Republic on Sid and it's just not that bad. What are these higher difficulty levels people keep talking about?

BTW, commerce for Republic under max war weariness (with lux tax) is the same as Monarchy. Commerce for Republic under less than max war weariness is superior. Shields are always better under Republic.

Arathorn
Arathorn I've lost two Defiant DG variants and we used monarchy both times. It seemed stifling to the econony to say the least in both cases but is it possible to be defiant and play in a republic?

Arathorn said:
Darn it! Who keeps playing these difficulty levels higher than Sid?
Bamspeedy? :D
I've had a great number of wars in Republic on Sid and it's just not that bad. What are these higher difficulty levels people keep talking about?
Isn't there one in Rise and Rule higher than Sid?

:p

Top Bottom