Which graphics settings for Mac i7/8 GB RAM

human101101

Chieftain
I have a MacBook Pro 15" with the following specs ...

Core i7 @ 2.66 GHz (2 cores)
8 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GT 330M (512 MB RAM)
OS X 10.6.8 (Not Lion)

I would have expected Civ 5 for the Mac to run a lot smoother with these specs than it does. Even when I turn the graphics options down to low the map scrolling is very jumpy. I want to try and keep the resolution at native which is 1680x1050.

Any suggestions on graphics settings that will make the panning around the map smoother? Thanks.

Hi,

It seems that Civ 5 Mac version does not work well with Nvidia 320M and 330M series as there is same sluggishness issue with map scrolling with 320M as well. This problem is probably either related to Mac OSX driver of 320M or at the way Civ 5 implemets GPU - as map scrolling works smoothly on Windows bootcamp side with 320M.

Hopefully they fix the issue with new patch from Aspyr or/and with 3x0M driver update from Apple.

-- Mikko

I have a MacBook Pro 15" with the following specs ...

Core i7 @ 2.66 GHz (2 cores)
8 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GT 330M (512 MB RAM)
OS X 10.6.8 (Not Lion)

I would have expected Civ 5 for the Mac to run a lot smoother with these specs than it does. Even when I turn the graphics options down to low the map scrolling is very jumpy. I want to try and keep the resolution at native which is 1680x1050.

Any suggestions on graphics settings that will make the panning around the map smoother? Thanks.

I have the same card. Glad to hear they might fix it. I also expected Civ 5 to run better, I mean if it can play Sims 3 like a charm why not Civ 5? Anyway, I hope it gets fixed.
To answer your question, it seems only low settings with a couple medium settings. It's only a guestimate though, because our computers are almost the same ~

Hi,
Hopefully they fix the issue with new patch from Aspyr or/and with 3x0M driver update from Apple.

Thanks for the information. That helps out quite a bit. I purchased Civ 5 via Steam so I have both a Windows and Mac version. I was hoping to run Civ 5 while I did some work (Ya I know ... like any work will get done). For the time being I guess I will setup a BootCamp partition for native Windows and run Civ 5 from there. When Aspyr decides to fix things then I can finally run it in Mac "Native" mode.

Top Bottom