Which is better, Linux or windows?

MWA

I. hate. hippies.
Let the fight begin!

Don't bother moving this thread to the computer forum, because I tried it there, and there's too few people there to have a discussion.

Windows if you want to use your computer, Linux if you want to program your computer to do things.

I've used all windows versions there are, (except XP, which I'll get soon) and I've also tried redhat linux and corel linux. I enjoy windows because it is easy to use and I understand all the basics etc. I tried linux on slow computers though, 65 MHz, which just annoys you all the time. When we get a new computer soon, I'll probably try to install linux on the old one and see if I enjoy it better. :)
In Linux I spent a few days to get out on the internet and install office (StarOffice), in Windows it takes 20 minutes max:)

jpowers is pretty close to the money on his comment.

IMO, Windows is bloatware, and XP adds spyware to it. But if you want a system that even an idiot can use, Windows is probably the best choice.

Linux is for those of us who want to know what is really going on in our computers, and those who cannot do their job in the limited point-and-click, these-are-your-only-options worldview that MS provides.

(@funxus: I had an easier time configuring my modem in Linux than Windows, and everything worked faster/better,too! :D )

That's right, there are linux computers that have been running without reebot for years that still run smoothly. Try that with windows XP and you'll see it crash within two weeks.

Linux gives you more control and freedom to do what you want with your PC - provided that you know how to do it.

Lets say you have a windows box and a Linux box that do a task at the same speed, you use both boxes heavily for five years and reboot all the time, by that time windows will have bogged down to 1/4th its original speed while Linux runs at the same pace.

mac user telling us how much he loves windows.. deja-vu

tried Linux, i must be dumb for it.
Oh yes, linux gurus will be ready there- yes you are dumb- linux is not for you - you just proved it.

fact is you can set up everything, but nothing that you need to.
yo ucan set refresh frequency up to little decimals - still linux won't recognize my plug and play monitor correctly.

applications that come with linux are awful unstable, some of them won't even run.

Windows 2000 is best OS: too good for users, acceptable for servers.

and by the way MWA you should be banned for week for posting inflamatory posts. first Communism vs. Capitalism and then this.

You seem to start thread and then disappear.

I had win95(the first version) on my old computer, and I abused that computer as mush as I could, installed programs/games and deleted them(not uninstalled), turned it of with the button(not bothering to go by the menu) Learning to program, in Pascal & assembler responsible for numerous of reboots cuz of writing in wrong memory... installed antivirus software that did nothing good to my system, had loads of old uninstalled programs, that missed files that I had deleted, and more and more and more.

It worked fine for 6 years(without any reinstallation of win95)... started to crash once a week the last few months before it finally gave up on me.

That computer prob lived longer then i should have: a p133 with 32 MB ram, and a matrox(4mb) graphic card.

My next comp only ran for a year(win millennium) before it broke down <- and that one I was nice too. Now I have XP and it works great.

Linux? Give up... Join us, joooins uuss... :evil:

Originally posted by Civddict
and by the way MWA you should be banned for week for posting inflamatory posts. first Communism vs. Capitalism and then this.

You seem to start thread and then disappear.

Aren't you supposed to be off on some forum for over-sensitive nervewrecks who can't handle any tension because their parents were divorced?

I didn't go away, I replied a few posts into the thread. Are you blind?

How do you construe this into being an inflammatory thread? It's a harmless question: which is better, linux or windows.

You know mr-over-sensitive-take-everything-literally-get-offended-and-scream-for-censorship-to-protect you:

When I said "let the fight begin", I didn't mean it literally, of course you took it literally - but that's your problem and not mine. Just mind your own business and stay away from topics you don't like. It's not like you're the official whiner on the forum who runs around *****ing about everything.

Calm down, get over that divorce your parents had and get a life.

You are just proving what I wrote above.
When truth is clear, no words can hide it.

Yes, you do return on your threads- to reinvent fire. why it has to be confilict always?

what is going on here... can you people post anything without insulting me and going on personal? do i have to write " no my parents are not divorced, they are married since 1975?"
Big NO NO - don't be low and turn to personal!

This thread wasn't inflammatory to begin with, and it's annoying when people whine for no reason about a harmless thread.

now who is falming Civddict crap i just did look what you made me do. :eek:
apparently from what my mate says linux is the best and im inclined to believe him as windows crashes all the time for no apparent reason so does A.O.L :hmm:

Linux is faster, more relieble and you can change it any way you like it.

And don't belvie the crap you hear about it beeing so hard to install.

For me it took 2 hours to install Linux SuSe 8.0, staroffice, realplayer, an icq clone and 50 other programs....

They all came from the same package whit SuSE Linu distribution...

AND IT'S FREE. If you want to be legal ser of windows Xp you have to pay hundreds of dollars.

Whit linux you get the OS and many many programs for FREE.

Aslo Linux takes much much less harddrive space, It don't requier as much RAM memory or preocessor capacity.

And for Servers Linux (or UNIX) is simply an outstanding OS.

Plus whit todays easy to use linux version any fool can use it. People just don't have the motivation to take the step.

:lol:

Win IS better. Economy order you to see at the market-quote and see consumers preference!!!

Linux is too complicated, too hard to learn, has too few applications (and not very good ones I heard), too personalized, as too few backup from it's producer's and media publisher's, too few games, too few programs,...

And it took only 0 hours to install it in my computer :D
And it was free for me :D

I completelly understand why people haven't the will to take the step ;)

Originally posted by Portuguese
:lol:

Win IS better. Economy order you to see at the market-quote and see consumers preference!!!

Linux is too complicated, too hard to learn, has too few applications (and not very good ones I heard), too personalized, as too few backup from it's producer's and media publisher's, too few games, too few programs,...

And it took only 0 hours to install it in my computer :D
And it was free for me :D

I completelly understand why people haven't the will to take the step ;)

Linux can't possible have to few applications or programs! For every windows program, there is atleast one program that is MUCH BETTER.

And not everyone wanths to steal. Like you do when you say you have a win OS for 0 kr.

And btw, linux is not to hard to learn. Anyone who whant's can learn it. or else they are realy realy STUPID.

:whipped:

Top Bottom