Which is better: Star Trek or Star Wars?

Which is better?

• Total voters
Neither one bothers with making even a token effort at scientific believability. So they tie there. Star Wars has at least produced 5 hours or so of watchable stuff, aka the original 3 movies, Star Trek is yet to produce even an hour's worth. Star Wars has produced some memorable quotes, and the chance to pretend to play with lightsabres, Star Trek hasn't. Star Wars has James Earl Jones, Star Trek doesn't. Star Trek has produced decent drinking games, and is watchable then, provided you can heckle the screen, but Star Wars has done the same. Therefore Star Wars is better.

if every creature in the star wars univers faught all of those in the star treck universe the trekies would get thier but kicked becuse this one reason numeretical superiorty lucas created litiarly thousands of palnets for star wars its just that there not in the movies like the home planet of yoda which i have to admit kind of disturbs me also another reason star wars would win because it's all fictional the writers decide what happens and look the general western poeople are more socially acepting to star wars than trek

As for the Federation vs. the Empire debate, I believe this site might be useful.

EDIT: BTW, I answered "Star Wars" in the poll.

IronMan2055 said:
imperial dreadnots never heard of those are they the war time republics pre imperialistic version of the star destroyer
That is what I call the Super Star Destroyer ;).

Star Trek is just a boring, "lets discover planets" and nonsense Philosophy. Where as Star Wars is actualy more realistic with conflicts between nations/organisations/alliances, Political scandal and corruption, and the Jedi Philosophy has much more meaning.

oh and don't forget theres over a thousand jedi at there high points the jedi could go a couple the a ship and use there powers to make the crew turn on themselves know this is the universe so the sith would unite with the jedi at there highest point they had well over a thousand sith know also under stand more about the numeratical supiority star wars spans about 4 thousand years while star trek spans a hundred years many more creatures than for star wars now were not just talking humanoid star trek is mostly that but wars has fantastic beasts like sarlaacs and rancors

it's called the excutor

Star Trek is just a boring, "lets discover planets" and nonsense Philosophy. Where as Star Wars is actualy more realistic with conflicts between nations/organisations/alliances, Political scandal and corruption, and the Jedi Philosophy has much more meaning.

Watched much Trek, have you?

IronMan2055 said:
it's called the excutor
If you look in Wikipedia, they place it under the classification of a Star Dreadnought/Battleship.

Excutor is just the class of the Imperial warship. Like how the United States names the class of their warships after the lead ship of it's class like the CVN-68 USS Mimitz.

The Excutor is also the name of the lead ship of the Excutor-class Super Star Destroyer. There are other Excutor-Class Drestroyers that have been built.
  • Executor (Lead ship of it's class)
  • Agressor
  • Guardian
  • Intimidator
  • Iron Fist
  • Knight Hammer
  • Lusankya
  • Razor's Kiss
  • Reaper
  • Vengeance
  • Terror
  • Whelm
    Source
Wikipedia said:
Executor-class Star Dreadnaught

Also referred to as Super-class Star Destroyer, Executor-class Star Destroyer, and Executor-class Super Star Destroyer in some sources; heading remains currently technically accurate and up-to-date

Note: When used alone, the term "Super Star Destroyer" is most often used to denote this class.

Newer source material indicates that the ~19,000 meter long Executor-class (according to LFL by Leland Chee and Inside the Worlds of the Star Wars Trilogy) carries over 5,000 turbolasers, ion cannons, and many wings of starfighters. The number of wings is unknown, but Darksaber sets the lower limit at some "thousands" of starfighters. The number of lesser weaponry such as point-defense laser cannon and missile weaponry has not been published. Two prefabricated garrison bases are also stored on board for rapid deployment. Her shields are said to be able to dissipate power output equal to a medium-sized star; in one comic, the shields are shown to protect the Executor from colliding with three Imperial-class Star Destroyers as they left hyperspace at relativistic speed.

Despite its immense firepower, the ship was designed first and foremost as a mobile command and control center. Some sources have suggested that she may be a large battlecruiser; however, the armor may be enough to be considered a battleship.

Source

Smellincoffee said:
Watched much Trek, have you?
No, and I dont intend to watch that. I dont wish to be converted to a different Sci-fi series. I am happy with my Star Wars and Ghost in the Shell Series.

CivGeneral said:
No, and I dont intend to watch that. I dont wish to be converted to a heathen Sci-fi series. I am happy with my Star Wars and Ghost in the Shell Series.

Ahh, a purist. I used to be that way, but I try to keep an open mind about things.

I leave all you to play with silly Treks and Wars; and go play some SMAC.

I remember watching some episodes of Trek, and the entire original Star Wars (and fragments of the newer movies). From what I can tell, Star Wars owns Trek. Also, a Star Wars geek, while sad, is infinitely less a geek than a Star Trek geek.

this is from the site

turbolasers cannot possibly be lasers. Lasers are merely a coherent assembly of photons, and photons have several important characteristics:

They always travel at the speed of light in vacuum, which is hardly surprising since they are light.
They do not interact with one another. If two lasers intersect, an interference pattern may appear in the region of intersection, but they will not impede one another in any way. The beams won't "bounce off" one another, stop at the collision point, or change direction or speed. They will continue as if nothing had happened.
They do not radiate energy in any direction other than their direction of travel. In other words, you will never see a laser in vacuum until it hits something. This is how laser pointers work- you can see the red dot but you can't see the beam. When lasers are filmed for dramatic purposes, they are invariably filmed in an extremely smoky or dusty environment, so the viewer will see the laser scattering off the dust and smoke. In a vacuum, a laser will always be invisible.
Obviously, turbolasers cannot possibly be lasers. They exhibit none of the characteristics of lasers. They travel much slower than the speed of light, they interact with one another (as demonstrated by the combining Death Star beam), and they are visible in vacuum. To put a twist on an old saying, if something doesn't walk like a duck, doesn't look like a duck, and doesn't quack like a duck, it probably ain't a duck

Babbler said:
I leave all you to play with silly Treks and Wars; and go play some SMAC.

Carefull, you might anger a few Civfans :mischief: ;)

no you see it's never called it in the movies but in the offiacal books its called the super star destroyer excuter

I remember watching some episodes of Trek, and the entire original Star Wars (and fragments of the newer movies). From what I can tell, Star Wars owns Trek. Also, a Star Wars geek, while sad, is infinitely less a geek than a Star Trek geek.

Hey, Bill Gates is a Star Trek geek. He's done pretty well for himself. ;)

also from the sight mentioned by the our top adversary and this guy isn't a star wars fan he simply applies real science to this

The Borg can adapt to any weapon, and become immune to it.

Where did this myth come from?

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the idea spread that the Borg become godlike, invincible and immune to a weapon once they figure out what it is. While it is true that the Borg seem to be able to resist Federation weapons quite well once they figure out what they are, there is no indication that this means they are completely immune to any and all weapons once they figure out what they are. Obviously, this is just another example of the Star Trek fan "superhero" mentality, as applied to another Star Trek concept (see previous section).
I am guessing that the myth spread because the Borg were seemingly impervious to the attacks of a single Federation starship in "Q Who?". However, the clash between the scientific mentality and the superhero mentality again rears its ugly head. Rather than describe the ability to resist the weapons of a single Federation starship as a lower limit, the fans have instead decided that it is proof of godlike omnipotence! Why worry about limits when you can simply assume that "adaptation" is a "special power" and that they can adapt to anything? The most stunning example of this nonsense is the recurring trekkie claim that a Borg cube could shake off a Death Star superlaser blast once a previous cube had been destroyed, because it would have "transmitted enough information to the collective to make the other cubes immune." If you can read and understand the various multi-syllable words in this paragraph, then I am sure that you can see how obviously unscientific and oversimplistic the "superhero Borg" mentality is.

Cracking the myth
This myth is clearly refuted by the canon films and episodes. In STFC, we see that although a Borg cube can become seemingly impervious to the weapons of a single Federation starship, it cannot withstand the massed attack of dozens of Federation starships. This demonstrates that Borg "adapted shield" lower limits are somewhere above the firepower of a GCS and below the massed firepower of a fleet containing dozens of Federation starships. We can also see Borg cubes being blasted into fragments by Species 8472 bio-ships and destroyed by simple planetary debris in "Scorpion". And of course, we all know that Borg drones are helpless against any sort of physical attack, whether it's the claws of Species 8472, the bullets of Picard's tommy-gun in STFC, a well-thrown elbow, or one of Worf's various artfully sculpted slicin' and dicin' toys.

The response
As usual, the Star Trek fans who espouse this particular myth complain vigorously that these are "special cases" and should not be taken as disproof of the omnipotent, godlike, invincible, unlimited abilities of the Borg special "adaptation" superpowers. They can come up with an endless string of rationalizations about why these special cases should be ignored. The phrase "self-deception" comes to mind ... they obviously don't want to relinquish their superhero interpretation of the Borg, so they pretend that the various incidents which contradict their preconceived notions "don't count."
As noted in the previous section, it doesn't matter how "special" the Borg failures were. They were failures, therefore they disprove facetious claims about the omnipotence of Borg "adaptation" superpowers. Furthermore, the very assumption that the technology has no upper limits is like a banner, declaring that they are incapable of applying the scientific mentality to their favourite science fiction show.

from the site now you said who's shield's are stronger

Star Wars vs Star Trek
If we use published specifications for Star Wars and Star Trek shields, we find that the heat dissipation of an Old Republic Acclamator troop transport is 70 trillion GW peak1, while the heat dissipation of a Federation Galaxy Class Starship is 3311GW peak2. In other words, using published specs, we find that an Acclamator has more than 20 billion times the shield system heat dissipation of a GCS, and that is not a typo.

Of course, some will point out that the published material for Star Trek does not enjoy the "quasi-canon" status of published material for Star Wars, and some will simply prefer to debate only with the shows and movies (for obvious reasons, in the case of Trek fans obsessed with Trek power exaggeration). However, this policy only reduces the precision of conclusions, without altering the general balance of power. Without published data, GCS shields can withstand radiation bombardment in the TW range3, and hits from warheads in the high-kiloton or low-megaton range4. However, SW fighters can carry weapons up to and including huge multi-gigaton warheads5, yet they are still ineffective against capital ships without support from heavy weapons6.

Star Wars is more like fantasy in space than scifi, with their half-assed force magic. Startrek although lousy at realism and their depiction of realistic aliens at least doesn't fall so low as to try appealing to both genres.

i have your avatar as a poster

No deviating from subject IronMan and thank you to Alpha for your inspiration:p.

Star Trek 26 27.37%
Star Wars 50 52.63%
Both 19 20.00%
this is the vote for the other star treck vrs. wars descussion

What other vote?

Top Bottom