1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which is better: Star Trek or Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Condor, Dec 31, 2005.

?

Which is better?

1. Star Trek

27.3%
  2. Star Wars

58.0%
  3. I don't like either of them.

5.6%
  4. This is probably the dumbest poll of yours yet Condor!

9.1%
  1. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

i allready said star wars is more generally acepted by the western public

2. jafink

jafink King

How can you disgrace StarWars by comparing it with StarTrek. It's just wrong.

3. Ultima Dragoon

Ultima Dragoon FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

A quadrant is a quarter of the galaxy.

A quarter of the galaxy.

Please read my second post, too. Star Wars ships can go 1x the speed of light, at most. The fastest (federation) starships can get up to 9.75x the speed of light. And there's still Transwarp capable drives out there, which are more than 10x the speed of light.

4. Yuri2356

Yuri2356 Test Screening

*Ahem*

Traveling at c, it would take years just to move from one star to the next, and yet in SW we see people travel between any number of systems within a Galactic Empire (Read: Galaxy Spanning) within days or hours. Hyperdrives don't move at 1c. You're even insulting the speed of Trek ships, which make typical journeys across a 150-ish system nation within, at most, a span of months. Even at your supposedly impressive 10c transwarp, it would take half a year just to reach Proxima Centauri. In short, you have no Idea what you're talking about.

You're not getting that crossing 1/2 a galaxy in a few weeks is greater than crossing 1/4 of the galaxy over ten years. Even that Trek-feat was done with the help of various shortcuts. Better engines, subspace phenomena, and the last part of the voyage involved hijaking the Borg's most advanced transit system. The original estimate for Voyager to ger home was somewhere arround to 70 years.

Face it, Trek is an inferior military power. Just stick to arguing about the artistic/dramatic merits of the two.

On that point, I found Trek be very fun TV, and some of the Movies have their merits. (ST:2 Especialy) But as crazy, explosive film epics, It's all about wars. Come on, They've got Deathstar :cool:

5. Chaos_BF1942

Chaos_BF1942 Prince

I think Star Trek would win. Just put the Breen "energy dissipator" on the Star Trek ships. All the Star Wars ships would become space junk.

6. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

How quickly this boils down to a geek fight :p .

You can't compare the two. It's like apples and oranges. One tries to emulate real science while the other caters more towards action and adventure.

7. North King

North King blech

Apples and Oranges are both fruit. They both are juicy when you bite them, and their juices can become a problem when they dribble down your chin. Both apples and oranges are peeled, and both are made into drinks, or eaten whole. Both are round, bot have mild toxins in some parts which are generally not noticed by humans. Both are colors tending to the "hot" side of the spectrum as opposed to the "cool" side. Both, furthermore, were developed from the oversized ovums of plants in their reproduction and domesticated over thousands of years to become the staple diet of many young folk around the world.

In short, don't use apples and oranges.

But the real point of this post was to say: this debate is so pointless it makes me laugh. :p

8. Ultima Dragoon

@Yuri2356: :blush: I guess my memory wasn't too good for what warp speeds equated to how many times c was.

9. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

The analogy fits perfectly then. Both are very similiar but have their minute differences that only a look past an eyes glance will reveal.

10. Oruc

Oruc Reactionary

I would say the colour is a pretty big difference and it would only take an eyes glance to see that.

11. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

Looking back...

The coolest alien is Yoda, not a Klingon.
    The coolest weapon is a lightsaber, not a phasor.
    The coolest villain is Darth Vader, not Khan.
    The coolest droid is R2D2, not the Borg.
    The coolest ship is the Death Star, not the Enterprise.
    The coolest action is the Jedi Mind-trick, not a Vulcan nerve pinch.
    The coolest quote is "May the Force be with you", not "Beam me up, Scottie."

Star Wars, no doubt, is better.

12. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

Besides the color, there is the taste of it. And the peel's edibility. And where they're grown. And who prefers what. And seedlessnes. Etc etc.

13. Ultima Dragoon

Species 3872 are cooler than yoda.
    Nup, Quantum Torpedoes are cooler than both.
    The borg queen is better.
    Borg are cyborgs - part human, part machine. Data is probably closer, and much cooler.
    The death star is a space station.
    Yeah, if you like magic in a sci-fi.
    Captain Kirk never said that. "Live long and Prosper" is better than "May the Force be with you".

14. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

kirk never said live long and prosper either and the coolest force power is force lighting the coolest villain is the emporer and the coolest planet is the never nentioned planet of the yodas i mean there has to be one:crazyeye:

15. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

double post

16. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Star Wars is, for the most part, much more realistic and more entertaining.

Star Trek has its moments, but the whole utopia theme gets old.

17. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

This is quite possibly the dumbest question ever asked by man. No one asks wether or not FDR was better then Bush. We just know that FDR is better then bush. Star Wars is so supperior. They have lightsabers. LIGHT SABERS!!! Swords made out of lazers, it is fricking awesome. Plus it was set along time ago, and have clothing to match. Where Star Trek takes place in a perfect future, without war, humger, or anything else. Boring. Not to mention they dress the women in miniSkirts. Ever here of feminism, no women who would have the will to make it on bord the flag ship of the entire Federation of Plants would dress like some street walking bimbo.

Finally you have the whole merchandising factor. Star Wars knows how to give the people what they want, for 19.99.

And lastly, Star Trek is the communism of tommorow, while star wars is 100% anti Communism.

I rest my case.

STAR WARS

18. Triarii

Triarii Chieftain

The women in mini-skirts thing was from the original Star Trek set in the 60's! It was the 60's for crying out loud!

19. Ultima Dragoon

Did I say Kirk that said that?

No.

Vulcan's say it.

20. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Yoda is far the most coolest species

The AT-AT is far the most coolest weaponary

The Borg queen would be cyberhacked by the Laughing Man... ...whops, wrong series :p.

Emperor Palpatine is far better

Major Kusanagi is also a cyborg, much cooler and... ...dang it!! Wrong series again :mad: :p.

The coolest male cyborg in this genre of Sci-fi would have to be General Grevious.

But it can move from one system to the next.

Now thats just heritic talk. The force is not magic. I dont see any Jedis pulling rabbits out of their hats :p

Booring, "Live long and prosper" is just a quote from a boring utopic sci-fi. 'May the Force be with you" has a much better impact in a non-utopian sci-fi.

In short, Star Wars is far more realistic and far more better. Star Trek is just nothing but utopian unrealistic junk.

Again, proves that Star Trek is unrealistic. Nothing can go faster than the speed of light. Saying that Star Trek spaceships can go 10x the speed of light would make Albert Einstein roll over his grave.