Which is better: Star Trek or Star Wars?

Which is better?

• Total voters
Star Trek is boring, dull, uninteresting, and just plain boring, dull, and uninteresting. I can't stand a setting that takes place inside of a "star ship" or whatever, it just isn't varied enough for me. Star Wars was way cooler with actual conflict withing the whole story thing. I never saw the Star Trek "conflicts" as that big of a deal, and certainly there was not enough fighting for my liking.

GeneralZed said:
I watched yesterday evening Star Trek X: Nemesis, my first ST movie ever. What I think about it? *SNORE*

Yes, ST had 10 movies and a long tv series, but SW is much more thrilling and entertaining than that bunch of talking nonsense.

Nemesis isn't the best Star Trek movie ever though. And neither are Episodes I-III.

Star Wars has a much more varied plot, interesting characters, and is just better overall. But to each his own.

Smellincoffee said:
Star Trek, by several thousand lightyears. I like the SW movies, and I'm glad their popularity bled over and helped Star Trek regain its footing after cancellation by NBC, but Star Wars is just entertainment to me. Trek means so much more.

Totally agree, jedis & lightsabres are cool, always have fun with SW, but Trek is just so much much more.

The reason most people voted for SW is probably because SW has just resurged in popularity due to 3 very nice movies (SW3 is really really great).

Trek on the other hand as been going downhill for years, the last great movie (ST:1stContact) was in 1996, followed by hernia inducing movies after that.

btw there is some great ST vs SW fanfic out there, my favorite is on http://www.ditl.org

GeneralZed said:
I watched yesterday evening Star Trek X: Nemesis, my first ST movie ever. What I think about it? *SNORE*

Yes, ST had 10 movies and a long tv series, but SW is much more thrilling and entertaining than that bunch of talking nonsense.

No diagreements here... although i would also say you picked the wrong movie to watch. First Contact in my opinion is the only Star Trek film with any sort of credibility to it at all.

Thank you for your support MjM of Star Trek but I don't think to many people speak German:p.

I agree that Star Trek hasn't done itself any favours recently.

Insurrection was a shot in the foot at best, Nemesis was just plain awful, Enterprise hasn't done much for Star Trek either and none of the Star Trek PC or console games have been very good.

I think that Star Trek really needs something of really high class to burst onto the world's stage and soon. A really out standing PC game perhaps or a really good movie or something like that.

HE did :eek: well that is not what I read:p!

what did you read because i'm asumming alot of people here don't speak german.

Movie wise its kind of a tie. Star Trek 2, 6 and whatever First contact was are the only good Star Trek movies. The only good Star Wars movies are 4,5 and 6. But theres alot more wonderful Star Wars books(if you exclude that new jedi order crap) then there are Star Trek books, plus the games are better. So ya Star Wars wins hands down

BigBirdZ28 said:
The reason most people voted for SW is probably because SW has just resurged in popularity due to 3 very nice movies (SW3 is really really great).

I don't think it has to do with a resurge in popularity from the prequels. The newest SW movies had some nice action and effects but were otherwise inferior to the originals so you could say both franchises went downhill in terms of quality movie, although SW novels and games have improved. My preferences aside, Stars Wars designs and plots are more apealing to the masses especially those who aren't into scifi. Then there is the action which is much more intense and visually stunning even when comparing the OT to new Trek movies. I'm not saying these are good or bad reasons just that probably have a lot to more do with which one gets more votes.

If you're reffering to the original three Star Wars movies vs. Star Trek (in general), I'd say Star Wars because of their storyline nature and good plotline, something most of Star Trek lacked or didn't do well (Deep Space Nine exempted). I always loved Star Trek, but it they generally didn't do story arcs like Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica (the new one), or Star Wars.

If you include the "new" three Star Wars movies, I'd have to say Star Trek. The new movies were action driven rather than plot driven, which makes them crap in my opinion.

I voted Star Wars for the purpose of this poll.

Warp 9 isn't JUST 10x the speed of ight. Its like 4000 or 9000x.

If you go the spead of light you go back in time. You'd go thousands of years back in time going that spead for less than a second.

Speed of light = 299,792.458 km/s x 9000 = 2,698,128,000 km/s (around that). That is FAST!!!

I like Star Trek because its more realistic with the sci fi talk and everything, and the BORG are awsome, but Star Wars is more entertaining.

That borg 7of9 or whatever is hawt!

Royal said:
If you go the spead of light you go back in time. You'd go thousands of years back in time going that spead for less than a second.
If you could just kind of brute-force your way to translight speeds, then yes. But most Scifi FTL systems use some kind of gimmic to get arround Time dilation. (With ST, when traveling in Warp you're not actualy moving relative to the space immediately arround you, but instead being pushed by a bend in space. IIRC)

yes there up here el machinae

Top Bottom