Which is the coolest victory condition?

Buttercup

King
So I was playing a Huge Regent Archipelago 80% Water Warm Temperate 4 Billion Years 7 Opponents Raging Barbarians Normal AI Aggression as England vs America, Arabia, China, France, Germany, Korea, Russia with all the usual win conditions enabled and no modifications on Civ III Complete when...

With about 20 turns to go...

I noticed that my victory conditions were converging. I had no objective at the beginning of the game other than to just play a chilled game where I didn't try to do anything other than be first to the best Great Wonders and to settle as many free islands as possible and to build them up to the point where they were pretty much self sufficient.

With about 5 turns to go I still hadn't decided which win to optimise, so I just continued as I had been. With 3 turns to go I realised I could have any of three wins and deliberately delayed my domination victory while I tried to decide:

So I am stuck here one turn from victory not knowing which is the best type of victory to take.

I have large numbers of Modern Armour Armies outside of numerous (some empty) AI towns making the 66% Domination 1 turn away.

I have the last space component 1 turn from being produced.

My capital is 1 turn from a 20k Cultural victory.

I could delay my invasions, I could sell all my Culture buildings, I could stop my citizens from producing Shields or I could complete all three and press End Turn and let the computer decide which will be my victory condition.

Q. If I went for all three in one turn, which victory would the game give me?

Q. Which of the three is the coolest type of victory condition?

Q. What's your favourite victory condition?

Q. Do you ever delay a victory because you wanted a different victory condition?

Attachments

• ThreeWinsRed.jpg
    ThreeWinsRed.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 33
If you trigger all three, you'd be awarded Space. The full order is Conquest>Space>Domination>Culture>Diplomatic>Histographic. I also believe that 20k trumps 100k, but that might be a bit more complicated.

I used to like setting up games with multiple wins, I once did a game where all seven conditions were possible...inspired by a legendary game by SirPleb. In that situation the toughest to engineer is the Diplo, because you have to make sure that you have a "friend" who will vote for you.

I'd go for all three (as Bartleby said, doing that will trigger the space race victory). I'll vote the 20k as the coolest.

Buttercup said:
Do you ever delay a victory because you wanted a different victory condition?

Yes, and the vast, vast majority of histographic victories (at least those in the HoF) almost surely do this. I think you can also find space race victories which delayed victories also. The vast, vast majority of 100k victories also almost surely delay victory.

the coolest victory of course is the planned multiple VC-finish, as I remember that SirPleb pulled it off once.
in the lower section, to me the Con/Dom victory is the coolest (not only because I had the honour to give it that name :D)

t_x

I think it depends on context. Coming from behind is always more satisfying than dominating the game early on and then running away. Culture is the hardest to arrange, because you have to work at it from the very beginning; it's not like you can gain a sudden advantage over your neighbors, build a stack of Cavs, and decide to go for domination.

Personally, I like the video for the space race win.

The coolest one, IMO, is Space Race, since how much cooler could you be than being the first nation to colonize Alpha Centauri? Not much. Granted, you could argue that being elected leader of the world due to great diplomacy is pretty cool, too, but it's a lot less fun in Civ III.

But getting multiple victory conditions the same turn is even cooler, so I'd do the triple-victory. I don't think I've ever managed to pull that off. Two at the same time, on rare occasions, but not three. That takes some stars aligning to pull off.

do I remember correctly that SirPleb managed 5 VCs syncronously?
t_x

do I remember correctly that SirPleb managed 5 VCs syncronously?
t_x

Well, if I can get three without even planning for it, I don't see why five would be either difficult or exciting (unless it was on Sid level, AI Most Aggressive, Raging Barbarians, or something).

But makes for a nice screenshot.

I chose cultural in the end as my personal top ten high scores didn't have a cultural yet.

If you put Conquest in this math plus the exactly UN elections turn you will probably gonna see how different it is of doing 3 vcs at regent.

If you put Conquest in this math plus the exactly UN elections turn you will probably gonna see how different it is of doing 3 vcs at regent.

Erm... how can you combine UN with Military? Either there's someone left to vote at the end of the round or there isn't.

His five was likely mine + military + 100,000k. I guess I could have found a way to drag that out if I was planning for it quite easily with 30 odd turns to go.

Erm... how can you combine UN with Military? Either there's someone left to vote at the end of the round or there isn't.

His five was likely mine + military + 100,000k. I guess I could have found a way to drag that out if I was planning for it quite easily with 30 odd turns to go.

Fair enough, I'm not saying you couldn't do it, I'm just saying 3 vcs it's a waaaay easier than 5 vcs, that's it.

If you do 5 vcs I will think something like "this guy really tried hard", even if it was at regent level like your case.

Fair enough, I'm not saying you couldn't do it, I'm just saying 3 vcs it's a waaaay easier than 5 vcs, that's it.

If you do 5 vcs I will think something like "this guy really tried hard", even if it was at regent level like your case.

I didn't try hard, that's the whole point of the thread. Why would you think 5 VCs would be trying hard? I could easily delay my game for another 20 turns to get 5 - military and 160,000k. Whoop de do.

Which one of my questions asked how awesome someone is for getting multiple Victory Conditions? None of them. The whole subject is just posters trying to turn the thread into a 'anything you can do, someone else can do better', because that's all they know...

I don't quite understand why you keep on defensive mode all the time, based on the answers you gave to templar_x and to me, but somehow it makes you a funny person afterall.

Just relax a little bit.

And like I said, if you think 5 vcs it's so easy like "you could have done without even planning", why don't you start to playing in a level worhty of your skills? I'd like to see that. Or maybe not.

I'm not gonna try to explain to you why 3 is a way easier than 5, you probably know better than I do. Please, write a tutorial for us.

:cool:

I don't quite understand why you keep on defensive mode all the time, based on the answers you gave to templar_x and to me, but somehow it makes you a funny person afterall.

Just relax a little bit.

And like I said, if you think 5 vcs it's so easy like "you could have done without even planning", why don't you start to playing in a level worhty of your skills? I'd like to see that. Or maybe not.

I'm not gonna try to explain to you why 3 is a way easier than 5, you probably know better than I do. Please, write a tutorial for us.

:cool:

Me on the defensive? All I did was post some general classic discussion questions which were given a rational basis for the reason behind the question.

Instead of just answering the questions you have to convert the thread into a 'better than' debate - which suggests it is you who are on the defensive about something - though what that something is is anyone's guess.

What do you mean a 'level worthy of my skills'? I've repeated a thousand times, I don't play the game to maximise my points potential. I use the Victoy Conditions as a means to end a game I'm pretty much bored of playing. I never mentioned the word 'easy' until you made the word 'easy' somehow relevant to the thread - though I've no idea why you need to do this as 'easiness' is not mentioned at all in the OP.

I have no idea why you think multiple wins is difficult. You can delay any win with a simple keystroke, as has been mentioned several times. Why do you want it to be 'hard'? There's no HoF for multiple wins, so why do you even care that it happens?

Buttercup said:
Which one of my questions asked how awesome someone is for getting multiple Victory Conditions? None of them. The whole subject is just posters trying to turn the thread into a 'anything you can do, someone else can do better', because that's all they know

If you think the 5 multiple victory condition game (diplo, space, 100k, 20k, and domination) so easy, then how about you post a game with a 4000 BC save, and a 2050 AD finish with all those victory conditions.

Top Bottom