1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which is the coolest victory condition?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Buttercup, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Buttercup

Buttercup King

Because I'm not the kind of character that performs actions based on meaningless 'prove it' jibes - particularly when that jibe is completely off topic and irrelevant to the thread and the purpose of me being here.

I stated what would be 'easy', now you've invented a whole new task completely different to what I said would be 'easy'.

But even so - why would what you suggest be 'difficult'? It is obvious from my screenshot that I could delay my wins until the 160k is 1 turn away and the only 'difficult' bit would be deciding when the computer wanted to force a UN vote.

For UN to be involved in the VC then you'd just time the building of the UN to coincide with the other VCs.

Aside from me wasting my 'fun time' playing how I like playing trying to prove something which is obvious, how about you tell everyone why it would be so 'hard'?

2. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

For the UN you also have to have someone who will vote for you, which means they have to be at least polite towards you. That's not so easy if you've beaten everybody up sufficiently to be able to also win by Domination or Conquest.

3. Buttercup

Buttercup King

So the number of VCs is irrelivat, the only relevantly 'hard' VC is combining UN with Domination.

Well, that would make 2 VCs a 'hard' VC.

Actually, what you're saying is, the UN is the 'hardest' VC to combine with one other specific VC.

Cool, no argument with that.

Glad we finally cleared that up. We all done now?

4. Buttercup

Buttercup King

Moderator Action: Report the post instead of responding to it.

5. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Let me make this clearer. The challenge lies in satisfying spaceship, domination, diplomatic, 100k, and 20k victory conditions *all* at 2050 AD (spaceship, domination and diplomatic IS more difficult than domination and diplomatic). Not before or after, but at 2050 AD. Your screenshots do NOT make it obvious that you could do this, because London is very near hitting 20k at turn 455 out of 540... we also don't know if you're about 85 turns from reaching 160k in 2050, because we just have a cultural total. I'm not challenging you to win all those victory conditions in this game, but to get all 5 VCs in any game.

I've only known one such time when it got done. Also, any player who studies the 10+ years of threads here will almost surely find that there's only one such game on record. Consequently, I suggest it's difficult. I admit I haven't tried such myself, but I'm not making the claim that it's an easy thing to do.

Since you claim it's easy to get all 5 victory conditions Buttercup, why not show that it's easy to do such by posting a starting and finishing save of such a game?

6. Bartleby

Hi Spoonwood, here is my example of a game where all victory conditions are possible.

7. Buttercup

Buttercup King

I'm sorry, but ending the game at 2050 is yet another factor which hadn't been mentioned at all. (until you mentioned it)

Dude, it went like this:

I post normal forum questions, with some factual game-related basis that caused my question.

Someone brings up an answer that no-one asked (that the number of VCs can be related to the concept of awesome).

At that point in the thread, the only relevant 'point' to that post was the number 5.

I replied to it by use of the number 5.

Then someone comes and manipulates the number 5 because they do not want me to be able to achieve the number 5.

At this point I lose all interest in the thread.

Then you come along and add a whole new set of criteria no-one has mentioned before - and all you're doing is taking the thread further and further off topic - trying to turn the thread into what you want to talk about - which is completely pointless one-up-man-ship - which you know I loathe.

8. Spoonwood

Correction: no, you don't.

He managed diplomatic, domination, 20k, 100k, spaceship, *and* histographic.

9. Spoonwood

The coolest victory condition is the 6 victory game.

In other words, you win a spaceship, histographic, diplomatic, domination, 20k, and 100k victory all at 2050.

10. Bartleby

The best case scenario is a 2049 save where you can choose your victory. There won't a UN election if any other condition has been met.

I also have a fondness for games with more than one 20k city.

11. ThinkTank

ThinkTank RL Addict

Didn't Bamspeedy do a 5 cities at 20K game?

12. Buttercup

Buttercup King

I think it was Bumblebore you're thinking of who managed 8 Cities over 20k with his left arm tied to a lamppost and blindfolded during end-turn. As a little extra, just to make it more interesting, he trained his cat to walk over his keyboard during battles.

13. Everkane

Everkane Valar Morghulis

This one was actually funny, Big Butt.

Kinda foolish, yet funny somehow.

Really.

:lol:

14. ThinkTank

ThinkTank RL Addict

15. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

I'm a little late joining this thread, I know, but for my input, I generally play for empire-wide (100k) cultural victory. If success starts to appear unlikely I'll just take a few cities in a war and finish the game with domination. On the other hand I don't like 20k single-city cultural victory. When this is done what you have is a primate city, which I find aesthetically displeasing; the exception is if it's OCC, if it's the only city, then it's not primate, right? :D On the other hand, OCC has challenges of its own.

16. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

That is a pretty cool victory. Thanks for linking that; I hadn't seen that before.