1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which is your favirote new improvement in PTW?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by amirsan, Apr 7, 2003.

?

Which new PTW Improvent is your favirote?

1. Civil Defense

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Commercial Dock

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Stock Exchange

20 vote(s)
    37.0%
  4. The Internet

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Airfield

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  6. Outpost

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. Radar Tower

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  8. Abstain

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

Which is your favirote improvement in PTW? Mine is Airfields because having an airbase right at your enemies border for instant M. Infantries and Bombers realy help. Vote your favirote and post your least favirote. Post what it is your favirote strategy for it.

:king:

2. Sentinali

Sentinali Chieftain

I have never had a use for airfields, maybe I'm missing something but I like to have my place in a safe city or in a fleet of battleships off the coast with carriers. Nothing can swing a battle more than losing your bomber fleet to he enemy.
    Given my defensive tendacies I love civil defense. It essentially make you Mech Inf almost unbeatable, expecially with AI that uses artillary very poorly. I always rush this improvement in my newly conquered boarder cities, prevents any counter offensive if things go wrong.

3. steviejay

steviejay Now in Black and White!!

didn't realise how good airfields were until I accidently found out you could airlift units from there. So my vote is for airfields cause I'm a warmonger. unfortuantely you can airlift artilery units :(

4. Alkar

Alkar Untitled ***** User

Airports can be very useful, but you need to take there a worker. This is quite easy (and useless) when enemy is in the same continent as you, but the main use for airports are continental invasions... so don't disband your transports too fast.

I often build them with captured workers ASAP when invading another continent.

I voted for Internet: in pangea or continents boosts both culture and science rate, which means more money each turn too :)

EDIT: typo

5. JMK

JMK King

I voted for Commercial Dock, I am generally more a builder than a warmonger, and although I could also vote for the stock exchange I though this is not really a new improvement but rather something more to build before you can have access to Wall Street. Since I would prefer to play islands rather than Pangea, Commercial Dock is the new improvement I will definitly build.

6. JJP

JJP Great Player

I voted stock exchange because it brings more money. Outpost is most useless i think. :hmm:

7. cavemanf16

cavemanf16 Grand Poobah

Commercial docks, in addition to giving access to Wall Street (which I didn't know, thanks JMK!) also supply one GP more per water square, and if you like to build Harbor cities like me, that can make for some large cities with large cash flows. :)

8. ipris

ipris Warlord

Commercial Docks. really useful for those unproductive coastal cities.

9. amirsan

I agree but I think airfields are easier than building a city and then an 80 airport which would cost +300g to rush. And also the Internet (the best time for a golden age if you a Peacefull Builder). I think there should be a wonder which gives you a Library or Universary in every city, dont you think?

10. JMK

JMK King

cavemanf16
    Commercial docks, in addition to giving access to Wall Street (which I didn't know, thanks JMK!)

Commercial docks does not give access to wall street, it provides one more gold on each cost and sea tiles. I thing it is a good improvement when you have a lot of cities placed on the cost.
    To get access to Wall Street you must have built at least 5 Stock Exchange.
    So compared to Vanilla Civ, you will have access to wall street much later when playing PTW.

11. Pal {UI}

Pal {UI} Can't talk, eating.

The internet is almost doing this, just at a later date in the game.

The great library might have been a candidate for this, but would probably unbalance the game a lot in the early stages because of the massive culture boost.

I never use airfields as I value workers too much. All of the others are too late in the game to make any real difference as most games are well over before the middle of the modern era, when most of these improvements can be built.

12. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I voted Stock Exchange. Money's good for everything.

Not being a major lover of aircraft, I don't consider Airfields to be very useful, but in the late-Industrial Age or the Modern Times, I'm going to have piles an piles of slave workers, wherefore building Airfields is practically free.

13. The Last Conformist

Oh, and I seem to've forgot to add my least favoured one. It's Outpost - I've yet to see any use for this one.

14. son-of-overlord

son-of-overlord Chieftain

I've noticed a couple people indicating that they see no use for outposts. One thing that I've noticed is that it seems like barbarian camps will not appear on any square that can be observed by an outpost. I've found this to be useful for suppressing barbarian activity in wasteland areas where I don't want to waste one of my most-precious 'optimal cities' for no purpose other than stopping endless barbarian raids.

15. JMK

JMK King

I am not sure, but I think that building an outpost will cost you a worker !
    Building outpost only to be able to observe (anticipate) a barbarian activity, generally early in the game, it is an exhorbitant cost. Furtheremore, should you decide to do so, you better protect your outpost otherwise any barbarian running inside your outpost will destrot it such as a colony.

16. The Last Conformist

It's true that Outposts will stop Barbarian camps from spawning, but its a rare day a Barbarian camp causes more damage than does the loss of a single worker in the Ancient Era. I rather patrol unsettled areas with a few Warriors or Horsemen and collect the gold from the camps. On top of this, MUs got less dangerous in PTW.

17. bru

bru Prince

I like the A/P because in modern battles it is an exellent weapon against enemy tanks!!

18. amirsan

tru, tru

19. Pal {UI}

Pal {UI} Can't talk, eating.

Had a thought - I like the new epionage/embassy selection menu best! No more scrolling around huge maps trying to locate that stupid star to click on!:p

20. Tireur isole

Tireur isole Warlord

I like the air field option. It lets you hit em hard in a fourth of the time But I LOVE the Stock Exchange it does SO much for the econemy.The only thing I dont realy like is the Radar. Its good for defense which makes it a pain to sack cities, they're easy enough to deal with though.