Which is your favorite beetle?

Which is your favorite type of beetle?

• Total voters

Tycoon101

Loves being STRONG
As a spinoff of Fifty's thread, I've started to collect data on beetle types.

This is a popularity poll for several common beetles; If you don't see your favorite type, then use the write-in option.

Please bring links and data to back up your beetle type's superiority, as well.

• Reproductive Superiority:
    "Burying Beetles"- In this species, conflicts between males and females rage until only one of each is left, thus ensuring reproduction by the strongest and fittest.

"Scarab Beetles"- In this species, the beetles construct underground structures complete with a supply of dung to house and feed their young.
  • Defensive Superiority:
    "Leaf Beetles"- Their usage of camouflage involves the use of coloration or shape to blend into the surrounding environment. Due to their exhibiting of this this defensive strategy, they have a green coloring very similar to their habitat on plant leaves

"Longhorn Beetles"- Another defence that often uses colour or shape to deceive potential enemies is mimicry. A number of these beetles bear a striking resemblance to wasps, which fools predators into keeping their distance even though the beetles are in fact harmless.

"Bombardier Beetles"- They spray acidic gas from their abdomen to repel predators.
  • Feeding Superiority:
    "Rove Beetles"- This species is primarily carnivorous and will catch and consume many other arthropods and small prey such as earthworms and snails.

"Carrion Beetles"- This necrophagous species consumes dead animals.

George Harrison.

Carrion, just because

Scarabs are awesome...think, the Mummy.

No pictures ?

No pictures ?

Burying Beetle:

Scarab Beetle:

Leaf Beetle:

Longhorn Beetle:

Bombardier Beetle:

Rove Beetle:

Carrion Beetle:

Yeah, carrion definitely pwns

Heracross.

I just thought you couldn't spell.

Rhino ^^^

The Bombardier Beetle disproves evolution!

No [wiki]ladybug[/wiki]?

I'd say any I can catch right now. Been putting off a bug-collecting project in Biology thats due in about 1 week.

Top Bottom