1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Which is your favourite nation

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by TheMarshmallowBear, Mar 20, 2012.

1. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

What is your favourite nation and why?

Mine is Spain, their color scheme, their leader screen and music is just beautiful. (Despite being really bad if your Leader options are low/minimum) But it's beautiful.

and yes, I am shallow :D

Game-play wise... I think Napoleon is good, his cultural bonus makes for a great start if you're playing on easier difficulty.

I also like Nebuch because he's the only leader that isn't arrogant about himself.

2. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Chieftain

I'm a make-culture-not-war kind of player, so I like France and Babylon too.

I like the Danes, partly because Harald seems like the kind of guy you'd go for a drink with, partly because of their music, and partly because he's never, ever been a threat to me as an AI.

3. Tiber4321

Tiber4321 Chieftain

I've been playing Egypt exclusively lately. If you get marble in your capital, you can go on an early wonder rush that's sets you up nicely for the entire game with happiness and loads of gp (great scientists, etc). You build GL, chose philosophy as your free tech, which helps you research theology first, build a national wonder in your capital while you wait, then build HS , which will give you 2 gs, use one to get education free (you will be getting it way ahead of the AI), reseach cival service while HS is building, then buil CHi it, then build PT, ND, and if you want to burn another gs, research banking and build FP. So that's six wonders and a national wonder very early in the game. Build a garden ASAP in your capital afterwards, then do a national college in your capital, assuming you have built libraries in your second and third cities.

Egpyt's special unit is worthless, but its unique burial tombs are fantastic. Each one gives a city +2 happiness for free. They replace Temple (but are free to mantian and give you more happiness). Egypt has its weak points, as do all Civs. During your wonder rush, build a few archers and pray you have some nearby iron to protect yourself. At King and above you will be attacked, but you can easily fend off a blitz of 5 warriors and an archer. If they come at you with 5 swordsmen or legions, you are in trouble. But generally, AI doesn't fight with any tactical skill so never count yourself out.

All these wonders wont win you the game, but they should keep in good shape in gold and happiness throughout the game, and you can save a bunch of gs, for bulbing to an advanced tech which may help you win.

4. Brigg

Brigg Chieftain

I do not care. It is like dating a girl who laughs at your jokes. They are all nice.-

5. FeiLing

FeiLing Chieftain

All are okay, except the Ottomans. Rarely use their UU, never use their UA. Hate when I random them - no fun at all.

Fluff- and Feature-wise I like Polynesia best.

Strongest civs imho are America, France and China.

6. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

I never play with Barbarians, so German and Ottoman aren't very useful,

and I've began playing on Pangea, so any Maritime civilizations are also a fail. I might try Terra next.

7. TallNSturdy

TallNSturdy Chieftain

I like the Indians. Tall'n'Sturdy towns and a b-line to cultural victory. Only did domination win once (King level I believe) and I prefer the cultural route. If done right you can produce so much culture in one town that you don't have to worry about the others so much. With all the GA you get from culture spamming I dedicate a culture city with the GA improvements. Last game it took like 12 turns to get the last cultural achievement.

8. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Chieftain GOTM Staff

babylon and korea. i really like science vics. also, persia, spain, mongols, and siam for other vics and fun/variety.

9. bcaiko

bcaiko Chieftain

I love Japan, personally...because they're Japan.

Samurai are also a big plus.

10. The_Quasar

The_Quasar Chieftain

I play random map, random civ, mostly, so I have no idea what I'll be doing until I get a picture of what's been dealt to me. Oh, and I don't re-deal either.

I've not really got a favourite, I like them all. They are all interesting, and different. Some even require a slightly different game plan, but all are winnable with.

11. vonbach

vonbach Chieftain

Germany and Babylon are nice. Germany I play because I'm of German descent
    and Babylon because he looks like Ming the Merciless. Polynesia is nice because you
    can build Easter island heads with Hawaiian music in the background. Its relaxing.

12. civplay

civplay Chieftain

Any civ besides germany or the ottomans is a lot of fun. But my favorites are the Iroquois and France. Overall both of them are the most versatle, good for any strategy making for a fun unique strategy everytime i play with them. Hon mention to Babylon (epic GS) and the Aztecs (fun civ and good with most strategies), Japan (just b/c i hate playing against them).

13. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Chieftain

He was once the sole rival on my continent, which made him a contender, and once he came out of left field and almost grabbed a diplomatic victory before I'd finished my Utopia Project (I managed to keep him one CS short through bribery and some help from the Egyptians), but he is of course cursed with one of those MOs that the AI simply has no idea how to exploit. It never attacks over the sea, and doesn't know how to coordinate a land attack if it does. Still, if you find him on the same landmass, don't underestimate the Berserker as you get to that stage in the game.

I haven't yet played with all of them. I've had most experience as France, but I'm currently experimenting with Songhai and like them and Siam. Partly this is because these are the 'new kids' of the Civ block, partly they're civs I have real-life interest in (especially Siam, having visited Ayuttaya and learned the basics of Thai history in the post-Khmer period, and the Songhai are just interestingly obscure) ... but let's be honest here, the Siamese elephant is just that cute, particularly as it dies.

Gamewise I also find the Songhai interestingly balanced, without a single go-to win condition, but a UA that supports early gold production and a cultural advantage from the maintenance-free pyramid mosque, both of which offer solid support to any victory condition you want to shoot for. Even though I haven't yet worked out what pillaging cities involves, since I haven't noticed any gold windfall from either capturing cities or pillaging improvements.

I think everyone does.

14. CivilizedPlayer

CivilizedPlayer Chieftain

Capturing cities gets you some gold. It's not too significant normally, but with Songhai's UA, it adds up. Especially when you're attacking Egypt. Their UB gives double (triple? I don't really remember exactly) the gold when you pillage a city. So: if you're playing as Songhai, conquer Egypt. It is highly profitable. :)

15. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Chieftain

I've captured a few cities with Askia - small ones, but still only getting double figure gold, or sometimes a little over 100 - little more than for pillaging barbarian encampments. I don't think that would be 3x the going city capture rate?

16. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Denmark and England. I enjoy naval superiority. Denmark allows me to blitzkrieg anyone and take cities fast and same with longbows/ships of the line. I prefer to place a well placed blitzkrieg rather than a protracted war.

And when the Maya come out, will be my favorite.

17. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Chieftain

In that vein, I have a particular soft spot for the Khmer and the Nabateans.

18. Heerlo

Heerlo Jedi Master Hearlo

I always play as the US.I have no DLC, so without Korea they are just the one I favor.

I play on prince and I am usually one of the most powerful civs with them.

19. Lose

Lose King

Japan

20. Nikola

Nikola Chieftain

Germany is my pick