1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which is your favourite period to play in Civ4?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Figaro, Apr 27, 2006.

?

What is your favourite period in a game of Civ4?

1. "Stone-Age" - Early expansion phase

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. "Classical Age" - Rest of Aincient/Classical Era

27 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Medieval (pre-gunpowder)

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Late Medieval (gunpowder-onwards)

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. Industrial Period

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. WW2-time

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Modern Era

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Figaro

Figaro Tywysog

Personally I like the whole of the Industrial period, getting the Muskets, and up to and including WW1, because of the large number of wars that took place and all teh empires that were owned at the time.

2. migthegreek

migthegreek Back In Black

I think it's a question realted to a Civ game, not real life.

I like Medieval, pre-gunpowder. It's the most exciting time I think. You're just starting get loads of cool techs and you're still expanding and developing fast. You have so much ahead of you, yet you're not too early that you don't have much.

3. Berrie

Berrie Proud father

I have chosen for "stone-age", because I like the expansion phase, where you have to do a lot of planning and exploring.
    I also could have voted for the classical age, but you only have one vote, so...

4. diablodelmar

diablodelmar no comment

I quite like medieval and industrial. By the way, "stone age" is actually called "ancient age". ;)

5. dpaajones

dpaajones Old England Forever

The industrial period, where gunpowder units start to develop into more modern forms of military. Navies also come into play fully and there's usually a race to develop technologies for air combat and armored forces.

Civics also begin to diverge more, with some countries going communist-autocratic and others going capitalist-democratic.

6. ese-aSH

ese-aSH Prince

classical !

axeman - bowmen - horses - phalanx... + most of the unique units.

i have not yet experiment an interesting modern war (in my games two scenario happened : i have modern armor and AI just got infantery or i have modern armor and AI has stacks so impressive that i would never declare war)

i noticed that i always *skip* late medieval (musquet) and ww2 period because when i come to these tech im very close of the next generation of military unit so i just wait instead of producing units that would be sonn obsolete.

7. Boppy

Boppy Chieftain

Stone age for me. :)

There's nothing like sitting down to a fresh game of Civ4 and deciding what tech route to take depending on your new surroundings. Along with that deciding where to build cities and what to build in the early turns makes this period of the game exceptional fun in my opinion.

Good Poll. :goodjob:

Boppy.

8. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

I like Industrial. Railroads ferrying my cavalry around my empire at 20 tiles a turn is awesome. Keep five or six of them for homeland defense and they can be anywhere in one turn.

Oh, and send the rest out to pillage Mansa's towns, villages, hamlets, and cottages.

9. sucinum

sucinum Chieftain

Maces, Catapults, Knights... That is real fighting and there are so many distractions, which make it hard to balance between warfaring and building. An era of real descissions.

10. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

Any period but the Modern. I hate the music!

11. Figaro

Figaro Tywysog

At least its better though than the old Civ3 Modern music... I reckon this one has the best music of the Civ series actually, because its all "real" if you like.

12. Orion071

Orion071 Home School Tutor

I love the Industrial Age. My workers are throwing Railroads around, and I'm usually in a race to see who will be the first one to Infantry and Tanks. This is when I almost always kick off my biggest wars. I start with my Infantry vs. their Riflemen and then when they catch up, my Tanks finish them off. :D

13. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

Ancient age, its where the majority of games are won and lost.

14. Giaur

Giaur War Dancer

voted for Classical Era ...

Praets, Cats and Elephants rule ... most educating games ...

... however Moder Wars are most interesting.

15. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

That's a tough call, but probably the Classical Age for me. It's an exciting time: I'm usually fighting my first war, my tech paths are critical, my economy starts to teeter on the brink of collapse, and much of the world is dark and begging for exploration.

Every decision I make has a huge impact; the game is usually won or lost for me during this period.

After that, it's probably the early Industrial era, when I gain Riflemen, Cavalry, Cannons, and launch my next great series of wars, if appropriate. If I'm playing as England and get Redcoats or as Russia and get Cossacks that just makes it even more fun.

Now, my least favourite period is probably Medieval. I'm slowly getting over my reluctance to fight a war with and against Medieval units. It's just that I have to either upgrade or replace my entire army, and my economy has not developed enough to make that easy. In fact, thanks to the early war(s), I usually have to shift my focus from war to economy and research.

16. Equisilus

Equisilus Unlikely

It was either the "Ancient Age" (Stone Age) or the "Classical Age" for me, but I decided to go with the Classical. I love the early expansion phase but there's not a lot of variety in that period so the next step up is when I find it more enjoyable.

Oddly enough, when I completed that poll by Firaxis back when in regards to the expansion, I wanted a "Future Age" beyond Modern. I want some sci-fi action. ;)

17. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

Medieval preguns.

On huge map this is when turf has been decided with generally 1 or 2 sots you are cautious on taking because culture may swallow. A good time to invade borders and press into someone elses empire(s)

18. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

The Age of Theology...writing-monotheism-Theology = no classic age..this often happens..means your middle ages last for most of the game..but hey I like the music so :)

19. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Late medieval, post-Astronomy. Contact to all civilizations, the golden age of trade, new ressources from all over the world...and sometimes agressive expansion to other continents.

20. Lars_Domus

Lars_Domus Say No 2 Net Validations

Classical - There's still a lot of exploring and expanding to do, but you can also start to really develop your core empire.