Which Leader/civ is your Archnemesis?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by lymond, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Deathstar

Deathstar Chieftain

I used to hate the warmongers, but they're not much of a threat if you play your diplomacy right. Montezuma usually falls behind around the time he spams his UU (to the point where I had musketmen and he still had those swordsmen). Shaka declares war without reason but you can bargain peace with him after you kill some of his units.

The true threat are the leaders that tech faster than me. People like Hannibal are who I MUST bully over early lest a gap forms.

2. whats a navy

whats a navy Prince

I actually hate seeing Mansa on another continent. He will go for a culture attempt without a doubt and you need to set up a naval invasion to stomp the threat out. It gets really annoying when I see him with my caravel. Others that typically go culture are annoying too.

3. ahcos

ahcos King

hate all of them, maybe with exception of ghandi who's really a nice guy. FIN leaders for their tech speed, AGG leaders for their massing units, PRO leaders for being hard to rush, IMP/EXP leaders for REXing, SPI/CRE leaders for their culturepressure, CHA leaders for highly promoted units, IND leaders for wonderspamming... hum, seems PHI leaders are alright after all :D

after all, i hate techers more than everything else, and i usually beat them up as fast as possible. don't mind the tech trades i might miss, i simply HATE to fight "uphill" battles (riffles+cannons vs. artillery+infantry for example) even though it's more or less quite simple against the techers who don't build so many units at all. comes in handy that most of the techers are the ones with the biggest culture pressure, which is my #2 reason to beat up an AI ;)

although the warmongers are quite annoying and hard to please, it's alot more fun to play a map with warring AI than with mass techers. i'd rather reroll a start with ghandi+HC as neighbours than with shaka+GK. crazy braindead warmongers mean fun ^^

4. KOpharaoh

KOpharaoh Chieftain

Boudica, that man-looking POS b*tch. I'm not a warmonger, nor am I good at it. I had a game when I was in control of things with Pacal when she randomly declared war on me. I found out the religion thing was pissing her off. Now, I am playing with Rammy and whaddaya know? Booty-ca is fighting with me again. I had yet to meet Shaka, but if he's as bad as these forums make him out to be, I better be careful.

5. drlake

drlake Emperor

I haven't had many problems with Toku, personally. In recent games, he keeps peacevassaling to me, of all things. Pacal, on the other hand, is a pain in the arse! Usually expands quickly, good culture, and techs fast enough so that I can't get a tech edge on him. Thankfully he doesn't build enough units to be a real problem.

6. ManiaMuse

ManiaMuse Chieftain

Use nukes :nuke::goodjob:

In one of my last immortal games I found myself just shy of the domination limit after taking over my landmass. Semi-isolated Mansa had decided to go cultural a long time before and was only 20 or so turns from victory. 40 Kremlin-rushbought nukes dropped on his lands later and he was ready to capitulate the next turn.

Probably a bit excessive as he still only had riflemen:mischief:

7. rollo1066

rollo1066 Warlord

Since I usually try for a Space or Culture victory I'd say the Civ that beat me to it most is India winning by culture. Not that I dislike them or go to war. Louis XIV is also a possible culture winner. After all the USA wouldn't attack France or India just becase a third city was reaching legandary culture.

8. evoke

evoke Chieftain

Though it's true you can diplo them given sufficient breather, I still hate Monty (warmongers). High difficulty, he can DoW you so early (pre-writing/pre-religion spread, etc) you have effectively no chance to escape it, and he can stay nutty with the pressure / attacks, crippling your game whether or not you survive.

It's basically at the whim of random number generator gods and it kind of sucks. Kind of up there with impossibly ugly map gen layouts, though both, really, are only truly crippling at the couple highest difficulties, so Firaxis is okay by me.

The best defense so far, facing ultra-early DoW risk, imho, is to choice suboptimal or alternate city placements to minimize border contact, though that's not always possible / something of a hit in it's own right, and Monty can still go nuts on you ultra-early anyway, it merely helps the odds. Sometimes it's quite viable though, and really helps buy the time to a diplo solve that makes the game viable / win.

9. ilikepies

ilikepies Warlord

I'll give you a hint. He's an insane freak with coconuts and feathers on his head that attacks over full other countries just to kill you with massive stacks. Starts with an "m" and ends with a.... "ontezuma".

10. psifaktor7

psifaktor7 Chieftain

Here is an extreme example of that 'Boudica&Co' dogpiling in a game, which pretty much alone made her my biggest potential enemy in all future games since that. Not even my three vassals could save me here. :crazyeye:

I've never seen a civ become so huge in military, and although I saw it coming on the power-graph, I hoped the power difference would be because of her population or her vasals or something else because I had a solid army myself and concentrated on the space victory. Then her enormous 160+ units stack crossed my territory in a DoW :crazyeye:

It was the first game I didn't play to the end, I retired some 20-30 years later (yeah, I didn't lose the game to that stack, the sad story went on very painfully for some time).

Attached Files:

11. faipalgugus

faipalgugus Chieftain

You were in a very good position imo, thought you're a little bit late, 1946 and you're still searched ecology!! You searched robotic before altought you're routing for a space win, i don't see the point, but i'm more disappointed with your defense. 30 tanks are totally useless versus ai big stacks in emperor+, 3 or 30 it's almost the same, when you can built tactical nuke, it's more enough, built 6 tactical nuke per city and you can kill 1000000000000 units in one turn, with nukes, you're totally safe.

12. lasombra1984

lasombra1984 Prince

I hate Montezuma & Gandhi. Especially Gandhi. I start WHEOOHRN when I meet him)

13. lasombra1984

lasombra1984 Prince

Shaka DoWs either his worst enemy or weak neighbors with land that he wants. It is not "without reason". Sitting Bull attacks without reason)

14. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Gandhi is such a pushover that taking him out is often a good use of resources. He doesn't have much military and, given time, might vassal to someone you don't want to fight. Monty is a nut, but he techs so badly he's often a good source of GG points from wiping out his 2,132 Axemen with Rifles.

I hate Sitting Bull. But not for the DOW without reason. He actually isnt' that likely to declare war, but he ignores distance, so sometimes his DOWs are a little surreal. Besides, he inspires the hatred of the psychos so you can start a phony war with him to get along with your resident psycho. I hate him for the constant, annoying poisoning of my water. He doesn't kill you, he just wants to irritate you. Worse, he's terrible to take out - Protective, Totem Pole Archers and a high unitprob.

Yes, Shaka will DOW weak opponents first. He grows and then comes after you later. What makes him dangerous is exactly that - he doesn't war because he's crazy, he wars to get land, lots of it. He'll grow huge and then attack you late. Unlike people like Monty, Alex, Genghis, Toku he keeps up in tech reasonably well making him a great late game threat.

15. OKScientist

OKScientist Chieftain

Good old thread.

I hate Cathy. When I play Fractal or Continents, she is always on the other landmass. By the time I meet her, she 's doing well tech-wise, she has tons of land, has vassalized most civs on her continent, and is preparing to backstab me ASAP.

I guess I am kind of used to it by now, and I prepare for war as soon as I realize that she's somewhere on the globe.

16. BIOGENETIC

BIOGENETIC Chieftain

Churchill.

His impeccable fashion sense and exuberant demeanor often cause me to become irrational with envy, resulting in regrettable decisions and wholly preventable mistakes.

Gandhi. I'd fight Gandhi IRL

Catherine for being a backstabbing nickel-ho

Most of all though, Louis XIV. His face and douchy little mustache just make me want to punch the screen; he instantly pisses me off when I see him. Actually, when he's furious, the only thing running through my head on repeat is that ********, throaty French laugh, "ohohohohoh", it keeps going through my head as I'm getting ready to smash my SoD through his face. Usually vassalize + build rail to capital. Mademoiselle Xpress Railways; hot french wimminz be MINE yo

17. vornan19

vornan19 Chieftain

I'm gonna go against the grain and say Peter. He's been in about 70% of my games lately and normally grows into a monster, especially if he's on another continent. My heart sinks when I see him on the map.

I'd rather have the psychos than the tech whores, at least you know where you stand with them. I'm playing a game at the moment with 5 FINs and once everyone had astronomy I slipped from 1st place to 4th in a relatively short amount of time.

I hate Sury - he winds me up just to look at him. With his traits having him as a neighbour is a nightmare. Guaranteed war.

18. phoenix_sprite

phoenix_sprite King

Joao and Ragnar. Joao's always up in my grill and Ragnar is a plain meanie that attacked me at Pleased recently :(.

I <3 Mansa and Hatty, push-overs that love to trade!

19. Fluroscent

Fluroscent Emperor

Sury, most annoying neighbour. Hard to kill, settles like a maniac, and creative means he frequently ruins any chance of getting a good start. And he gets -2 for failed requests. Seriously, last game I had, he beat me to my 2nd city site with his 3rd city, even though I went settler size 2 with a chop. Only had room for three cities and no copper/horse meant GG.

Mansa, when he is far away and because he is the reason I usually turn off vassal states.

Pacal. Next to a good expander. He supplies the religions, the techs, and allows the neighbour to settle an obscene amount of land.

20. Shusaku

Shusaku Chieftain

Ghandi and Asoka. They always end up capitulating to some AI very soon which ends up in creating a powerful country. And I don't like that... But the WORST is definately GENGIS KHAN, that son of a **** (self censure FTW!)!!! He always asks you so much tribute that you get him annoyed in the first 5 minutes of the game :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Catherine is a harsh ennemy but since she doesn't build military in early game (at least, no a lot), then she becomes a great vassal since she's nice