1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Leader do you play the most and why?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mrwhite89, Oct 24, 2007.

1. mrwhite89

mrwhite89 Bad Lieutenant

I'm sure this has been done before but I haven't seen one for BTS.

My favorite leader is Willem Van Oranje of the Dutch. Although his UB the Dike (+1 :hammers: for each water/river tile) comes only after researching steam power, it's a huge production boost if you play any kind of water/island map. His UU (Indiaman) is very underrated - a transport ship which ignores cultural boundaries. I usually load a bunch of them with units and park the boats right next to enemy cities, declare war, then unload my units. City razing commences right away! :D

2. DrewTate

DrewTate Prince

Augustus or Julius Caesar. They have a pretty good UB and the UU is obviously the best and coolest unit in the game.

3. johnny_rico

johnny_rico one more turn addict

I have never repeated with a leader and am still working my way through all of them. Been playing since december 2005 but I only manage to finish one game every three weeks.

4. thelibra

thelibra Future World Dictator

I gotta go with Pericles. I have the best luck with him, and I can tech like a madman with his Cre/Phi bonuses to building libraries, universities, etc, and the additional GPs help me achieve more expesive techs more quickly. I don't have to worry about much besides ensuring I don't over REX and making sure each town is well defended.

5. eewallace

eewallace King

Qin, Elizabeth, Mansu Musa have all been hits with me lately. But I've found the most versatile to be Gandhi and Asoka (good traits, plus excellent UU and good UB).

6. bardolph

bardolph King

I play a leader named "Random," of the "Random" empire. Only problem is inconsistency :)

7. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Ramses, but every time I play I flip coins to determine whether I play Ramses, Shaka, Mehmed, Pacal, Asoka, Wang Kon, Gandhi, or Mansa Musa.

I play Ramses because I love the mixture of almost guaranteed religion, getting prophets early (his UB rocks), chance for an early rush, good chance for wonders through the game (ind), and just being able to flip civics whenever the heck I choose. Oh, agriculture/wheel is my favorite starting combo. Bottom line - he just fits my play style over the long term, and has a very distinctive power game.

8. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

If I want to have the greatest chance of winning? Probably Maya or Inca.

9. Permanganate

Permanganate Chieftain

I like Mansa Musa. Financial, the UB gives more money, decent starting techs, and the Skirmisher allows superior Ancient/Classical defense or pre-Bronze Working rushes, depending on your situation.

10. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

I'd say that Darius, Boudica, Ragnar, Willem, and either of the Romans trump them as "highest chance of winning" players - all depending on your playstyle, and the amount of water in Willem's case.

11. MrFrodo

MrFrodo Warlord

Darius, because you can early rush, expand quickly, recover your economy, build an empire and then have lots of options of how to win after that.

I also like the Incas and Mansa a lot.

Still trying them all out though, particular the more warmongering ones.

12. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

brennus. i'm tired of catherine, now she hates me.

13. Thyrwyn

Thyrwyn Guardian at the Gate

Oddly - Charlemagne or Justinian.

Justinian: I love his traits. I play epic/marathon and Spiritual makes a huge difference. I love Cataphracts and Hippodromes.

Charlemagne: Great UU, UB. The REX King.

I have to limit my games with Zara, though. Great traits and an unbelievably strong UU.

14. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

every once in a while i go random, but usually i pick my own leader and leave the other guys random. if i'm pericles, i add alex in as an opponent because otherwise he won't show up and he's my favorite attack puppy.

i've love gandhi since warlords, and i always will. but now i'm in a willem phase. totally different traits, but such fun with the right type of map! i've done several joao games too, on terra maps to rush to the new world way before anybody else can *giggle*.

i've never played as rome. at first i just hadn't by chance, now i avoid them on purpose just to say i'm one of the few *giggle*.

15. jkp1187

jkp1187 Unindicted Co-Conspirator

In most circumstances, I try not to play leaders that have effective military synergies - especially in the early game. No Rome, no Aztecs, no Quecha rush. And I also try not to play a civ whose leader(s) are crazy lunatic warmongers/religious nuts. It's far more entertaining to realize you're stuck on a continent with Alexander, Genghis, Shaka, and Isabella in the early era and figure out a way to come out on top.... And I've learned some pretty good lessons -- like don't switch to "Free Religion" just as Justinian has completed building a horde of Cataphract.....

That said, I have a soft spot for ol' Abe Lincoln. Just enough of a warmonger, just enough of a builder.

16. paulthebug

paulthebug Warlord

Freddy, for large SE empire. Aim for Bio by 1100, and panzer by 1500.

17. SenhorDaGuerra

SenhorDaGuerra Prince

in warlords i used to love victoria, redcoats and an awesome CE.

now i love pericles, phalanx and awesome SE.

been trying gandhia bit too. never liked the indians cos fast worker was never my cup of tea. im learning to like them now.

18. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

I play random usually, however I think HC is the most powerfull

19. Cytral

Cytral Warlord

btw. Willem van Oranje wasn't that naval, he was a German prince fed up with the Spanish politics towards relegion and the corruption in the Spanish empire)

its in our nat. anthem.

Prins of German blood, always have respected the Spanish king.

he was at the Spanish royal court for a part of his life.

they better would have choosen Van Oldebarneveld or De With. They were the ones responsible for the Dutch golden age and VOC.

before they were hanged by an angry mob on the advice of the King of that day

(Dutch political powerplay...lets hang the 2 best statemen of their time)

needless to say the Dutch empire started to decline after that.

20. BeyondCivilized

BeyondCivilized Warlord

Saladin.

Probably because I like to live in a dream, where the Arabian Culture is not on the verge of extinction and is hated all around the Globe.