Which Leader Pissed You Off Today?

agonistes

wants his subs under ice!
Based on the notion that there isn't a day that goes by that I wish I could meet one of these ai leaders in real life and apply the Vimes Elbow, this is a vent thread to share a story in about your daily dose of abuse.

So...

New game, giant earth, I just get my second city settled and Rome defeats Catherine, Pericles, and Preslav. Has 5+ cities. Normally I'm not too aggressive, but with two cities and 3 units, I figure I might need to pick up the pace. Fortunately, Harald dows me, so I head over to Finland and take a city, swing back and hit Vilnius, then dow on Scythia and grab 3 quick cities. While I'm doing this, Rome has dow'd on me (and someone else has too), so I'm defending Novgorod with a warrior and 2 archers from heavy chariots and horsemen while the rest of my army is off acquiring cities.

I finally get swordsmen, upgrade on the march back from Scythia, and head over to Greece to liberate. Free Corinth, then Athens. When Athens poofs, 2 of my swordsmen get stuck on the boot of Italy. Fortunately, I get disembarkement in 7 turns. So I boat to France instead of the overland route.

Now, Rome has perfectly placed 2 cities in Spain and France, with ancient walls, to protect against a landing. And Spain has a scout on the beach at Geneva (apparently just eating popcorn and watching the show, cause the ahole doesn't move the whole time). So I can land 2 units at a time, under fire, into the free spot beneath Geneva, and then get wailed on by Roman horsemen coming in along the road from both east and west. I thought about going around Spain and landing from the Atlantic, but meh.

I've now got 4 guys on the beachhead, Germany has conquered Geneva, and thank god I bought open borders from Germany. So I'm doing the heal dance with my swordsmen, trying to keep them alive while my archer wears down Roman pike and horsemen. My swords are all red or yellow, except for one still in the water. Next turn I can land him and he'll take the next Roman charge. This 'dance' has been going on for quite some time - long enough that I'm getting anxious about the open borders lapsing and scattering my troops.

Frkn Harald dows me and kills the green sword in the water. I was *that* close to perfectly playing out a bad situation, and Harald wrecks it.

So pissed I swore so loudly and so colorfully at him, completely forgetting I was dogsitting at my dad's condo, and that it was 2am, I probably made the guy in the condo next door sit bolt upright in bed.

Last edited:
I have two stories, but they aren't from today. Can I post them?

I thought that I had a lead in science as German empire, but I had a look at the scores and Cyrus is way ahead, and is massing muskets and field cannons close to my borders. Wrecked my plans..

Poland. I found a city near hers since it had a nice river, mountain, and a couple stone tiles which I needed since my religion includes stone circles. She tells me not to settle so close. Fair enough, I agree. I found a city near my capital just to fill space and get some access to the westward ocean. She doesn't have a problem with that, cool. Then, she settles her own city next to that city she didn't have any problem with 10 turns ago and tells me not to settle so close and that I broke her promise... anger intensifies. Not even five turns later I see her moving settlers into my lands to try and settle a city right between 3 of my own cities (well, 2 of my own. The third city was formerly the site of a barbarian encampment for a tribe called "Rome") so I body block her with archers. I am nowhere near her cities and she tells me to move my guys away from her. I ignore this request. 5 turns later SHE declares war on ME. Needless to say my Berserkers earned much glory and favor from Leodin, the one eyed half man half lion god of Norway. Now the whole of Congo Craton belongs to the Nords (including Stockholm, funny enough) and my ships yearn for fresh shores to plunder. I would've actually gone for a religious victory but now that half the world is mine... Leodin shall greet them on the battlefield rather than the Stave Church.

Last edited:
Alexander. I've hated him since 5. Every time I see him, I'm like a bull seeing red. He always forward settles (must be preprogrammed like Ghandi=Nukes) I must kill. Latest, I'm King Gilgamsh, and guess who I meet first? Yep. good old Alex. We don't have a very good first meeting, and soon he is unhappy. Then he forward settles a city. Enough. Long story short, his forward city is now a hole in the earth, and Pella is my second best city, and I took 2 settlers, and 3 workers as a prize. The bonus is, he was the only other person on the continent. Have seven city states (looks out corner of eye, gleefully rubs hands together!)

I had four leaders DOW me, but I was only actually fighting one of them, the rest were too far away to really bother me.

The only other potential threat was Peter, but he can't get to my empire without getting open borders with Kongo, and they hate each other's guts.

Even then, France, the only civ I actually fought, has the weakest military in the world and I managed to knock out a couple of cities and Cathy ceded them to me without demanding anything.

In my combined tweaks mod, Melee ships get +12 versus cities, and Walls are generally harder to build (require Barracks or Stable). I was Spain and happened to start right next to a second continent where Norway was, and he had just planted a city. I ran over with a bunch of Warriors and Archers but the position of the city was kind of awkward. Finally I captured it. But then Harald had sailed over to one of my coastal cities, with no walls, and with the bonuses easily stole it in two turns. Since his special ability in my mod also gives him a free Melee ship when he conquers a city, he now had two ships, and both headed for my coastal capital...

I dont know if I for sure would have lost, but it was a sincere "wow" moment.

In my combined tweaks mod, Melee ships get +12 versus cities, and Walls are generally harder to build (require Barracks or Stable). I was Spain and happened to start right next to a second continent where Norway was, and he had just planted a city. I ran over with a bunch of Warriors and Archers but the position of the city was kind of awkward. Finally I captured it. But then Harald had sailed over to one of my coastal cities, with no walls, and with the bonuses easily stole it in two turns. Since his special ability in my mod also gives him a free Melee ship when he conquers a city, he now had two ships, and both headed for my coastal capital...

I dont know if I for sure would have lost, but it was a sincere "wow" moment.

That's what you get for changing stuff in your mods...

I started at the bottom of an isle and was exploring the tundra when a french peasant beat me to a village right at the bottom.... OK the french are OK on a good day so I fire off my second cousin twice removed (he's really good at dining table gossip)..... then Germany pops up with 2 barbs near my cap and says gidday so I have a beer with them and send my uncles youngest son off to be taught their tongue. Realizing I am in an ugly near tunda waste that has at least been fully explored I decide it's time to visit someone properly. Rubbing my hands with glee at finding some iron I start pulling the guys out of the clubs in my capital and form them into groups of clubmen and also get a couple of teams from the local archer club additional to my bristling bowmen...A quick upgrade (3 gold left and +4 GPT) and off i go... waltzing up the hills like Matilda does and I choose France on my upper left... just getting close and she sees me coming and asks to be my friend. Well knowing just how useless Cathy is at anything but dinner parties I decide to befriend her and turn toward Barby. Now Barby is relatively happy with me too because I have not seen a damn CS anywhere and suspect they are hiding from me but its no surprise considering where I settled. I kick over the hills to Fred and pile into him merrily ... when I notice suddenly 2 barb horse archers and 4 horsemen wanting to party in my cap... WTF, where did they come from.... I see no camp... and I had been checking... then it dawns on me the friggin french peasants did not tell me about a nob of land at the bottom of the tundra where I just assumed it was coast. The fact they misled me, then befriended me and only now I find out their secondary agenda is paranoia too late. Glued to a sweaty half competent sausage eater I watch in despair as the rabble have a Rave outside my capital and Catherine is becoming less amused by the minute despite having a bright turquoise smiley face.She is "worried my army is too large"

That manipulating cow is gonna be gristle just as soon as I have any damn thing free to deal with her

Last edited:
CHINA - played a quick fatal 4 way last night. 300 turns in I have only 1 wonder ( got beaten out on 4-5 wonders with only a few turns to go. So I cracked the sads and decided not to build any more). One which I built like turn 90 and China denounces me because I have more wonders than they do.
300 turns you LAZY Scrub get off your butt and build a wonder already :(

This 'dance' has been going on for quite some time - long enough that I'm getting anxious about the open borders lapsing and scattering my troops.

This still has to be one of the most annoying things in the game. I think in the last 5 turns of an open borders agreement you should be able to try and renegotiate it...

Speak of the deviless - Just now:
Spoiler :
20170504122953_1.jpg

This still has to be one of the most annoying things in the game. I think in the last 5 turns of an open borders agreement you should be able to try and renegotiate it...

Speak of the deviless - Just now:

And she's gonna culture bomb you if you give her the chance. Tsk tsk.

That illegal settlement is scheduled to be razed in the next hundred years at some point ;)
It's not as big a deal as me getting a third of the way through the (marathon) game, and suddenly noticing that -unlike the IZ- the Hansa gets adjacency from resources not mines! It's my first game as Fred... gimme a break... :twitch:

I had four leaders DOW me, but I was only actually fighting one of them, the rest were too far away to really bother me.

The only other potential threat was Peter, but he can't get to my empire without getting open borders with Kongo, and they hate each other's guts.

Even then, France, the only civ I actually fought, has the weakest military in the world and I managed to knock out a couple of cities and Cathy ceded them to me without demanding anything.

Joint wars happen very often in Civ6 and most of these cases these enemies don't even fight you to come up with a peace solution 10 turns later.
By default their diplo stance is bound to go to unfriendly. Some agendas are really annoying to fulfill.
Diplomacy and inevitably trade is completely broken in this game.

Joint wars happen very often in Civ6 and most of these cases these enemies don't even fight you to come up with a peace solution 10 turns later.
By default their diplo stance is bound to go to unfriendly. Some agendas are really annoying to fulfill.
Diplomacy and inevitably trade is completely broken in this game.

Sigh.

Of course people don't like you if you just ignore them. Do you make friends by just standing around some people and not saying anything to them? No, they're going to think "what a weirdo is that".

Send a delegation, sign an open border treaty, send a trade route, and they will become friendly in no time.

I had a ridiculous tech lead in my current game and had thrived peacefully for ages until Gahndi got greedy. No problem, my massive fleet of frigates will just decimate your seaborn invasion forces...wait, who's coming into the war on your side? Pedro?

Crap. Here's comes his super-battlehsip that he gets just for having a vague notion of a nation-state. Awesome.

So I switched every city to science and beelined steel so I could upgrade my fleet and put his whatever-you-call-thems at the bottom of the sea. Unfortunately, by then the war wariness was too much and I had to take a no-gain peace treaty instead of annexing a few choice coastal cities as originally planned.

Top Bottom